1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Penguin Piracy (SUSPENDED DEVELOPMENT) V11.2.1

Pirates! Plunderers! Penguins! This mod adds penguin affiliated content, and much more!

1. Penguin Piracy V11 - The Gentoo Penguin Update

ManicRykker
    Hey guys! Finally here with an update, and boy do I have a lot to talk about...

V11 CHANGELOG

[NOTES]

-Masked Penguins as a standalone species, are officially CUT. That addon is being deleted, and the
    assets for that species has been removed from the mod. Sorry in advance. This is a part of the
    streamlining and reworks I'm doing.

-Since I know some will probably be asking at some point in the future: I am aware that quite a lot of penguin armor doesn't quite look right
    with some frames of the Puffin's animation. (Particularly the walk and run)

For now, you'll have to fall back on the penguin hider clothing, as I currently don't have time to deal with these inconsistencies (Additionally,
    I still consider Puffins somewhat of a joke race, so they're not a high priority.)

[ADDITIONS]

BUILT-IN RACE EXTENDER
    - There's a massive change being made with this update. As of V11, the race extender addon
    is now BUILT-IN to Penguin Piracy. It's design's also been tweaked a bit. Rows of slots
    have been added to the top and bottom of the extender. These slots will be reserved for the
    mod's penguin races, and any penguin races that get officially added to my mod in the future.

As for the other slots, there's 72 slots available for other modded races. This should serve
    as more than enough wiggle room for those of you out there that may like to play with
    tons of race mods. (Of course, I know there are users that like to use metric tons of race mods...
    I currently can't do much for you guys. I may expand the extender some day, but for now that's not
    a priority.)

Now, I know what some will probably be asking. "Manic? Why the change?" Well, I didn't make
    this decision to merge out of the blue. I've been thinking of it for some time now. I even
    thought about attempting something like this months ago, but eventually decided not to, as
    I saw no benefits at the time. Now, things are different...:

-The amount of penguin races has been increasing. More so than I expected. The amount of
    small little addons that don't add much of anything has started to clutter things up a bit.

By having the races built-in, they will be much simpler to use (No downloading separate
    addons after this!)

This also allows the user to skip a step when installing the mod.
    Which of course brings me to the next bit...

Other race extenders. I am aware that many users may prefer installing their own race
    extenders when using race mods. I understand this new feature may make things awkward for you, but
    I felt it needed to be done.

New mods that change the color of Penguin Piracy's character creation menu will also be added.
    If you're not a fan of the standard black, you'll be glad to know that there will be mods that change
    it to red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, or white!

NEW QUESTLINE
    - The mission your penguin has been implied to be on is now a reality!

The new questline is a simplistic questline that runs alongside the main story. In it, your goal is to
    reverse engineer the Matter Manipulator!

This questline will have you humoring Esther Bright's 'story of impending doom', and will have you
    progressing through the story as you normally would, but working for a different party this time around.
    You will be beating each of the first six bosses to obtain crucial components in creating a working duplicate of the famous Protectorate
    device, to send back home to the higher-ups that assigned your mission.

Completing this quest line will net you a brand new crafting station, where you can create new matter
    manipulators with fine-tuned settings, as well as a few other little things.

SCRIPT IMPROVEMENTS
    - Overhaul to how the penguin primary scripts are handled under the hood.

A single script now handles that stuff, and the old ones are cut.

WORD OF BEAK
    - Many of you probably remember the Penguin News TV Set. It was this annoying object that spouts useless information.

I have made some changes to this object that will make it much more useful. As of this update, the object is now referred to
    as Word of Beak! WoB specializes in lore and gossip. Not only will you be purchasing lore related stuff from this object, but it will offer
    new lore for you as well. Speaking of...

NEW LORE
    - A brand new set of lore has been added: Penguin History. Yep, I'm finally giving the penguins some backstory!

Penguin History is a set of 12 codexes that will become available to you as you progress through the main story/your penguin's mission.

The first will become available after you finish the Erchius Mining Facility mission, and the rest will unlock as you do the rest of the main story.

There are several other new codexes available from the shop throughout progression, so keep an eye out for those too!

TWEAKS

- Due to criticism, the change to the mods button has been removed. The mod's getting it's own title screen this update anyway. lol

- The penguin king no longer sells codexes/lore. He's still a merchant, but that job is being passed on to
    Word of Beak.

This TV set (intentionally built without an offswitch by the network) of questionable credibility offers
    lore and gossip for sale, and will be the new place to buy the Penguin Archives console (It 3D prints the stuff)

I've also tweaked the object to fire off it's dialog less often, and decreased the range of it's music, but remember:
    (Best keep it in it's own room. As I mentioned, you can't turn it off. :rofl:)

New non-penguin archives lore will be introduced through this unit. You can still purchase it from the
    Penguin King. (It's price has been lowered to make it more accessible to new players)

-Gourmand has had some changes:
    He now has two quests to offer. In the first one, he'll ask for supplies (a loom and some fabric)
    Completing the first one will unlock half the clothing stock in his store.

In the second quest, he'll ask for funds. You'll need to give him 20 engu coins (The crafting recipe is learned from the blueprints in the first
    Penguin King quest) Upon completing this quest, the rest of the accessories will unlock, and as thanks, he'll give you the blueprints for the
    various penguin shops.

-Added descriptions for other penguin races to a few penguin objects that have them

-Since the music patch for the Shockhopper seems to no longer work I am remove it from the mod for the time being.
    (Even though it DEFINITELY worked in 1.2...)

- Elemental penguins now have immunities to their proper biome types, where applicable.

- The recipe for the Omnishop has been greatly tweaked. It still requires quite a few materials, but no longer requires all those
    different shops. The Omnishop ended up not being as important as I originally planned to make it, so I've nerfed the requirements.

- Albino penguins and Rockhopper penguins can now be acquired as tenants. They have the same requirements as standard penguins.

BUGFIXES

- Fixed the handful of penguin hats added by Chucklefish in 1.3 not being purchaseable from Gourmand. (They're normally not obtainable, so they were set to 0)

- Fixed a bug making the Penguin Archives section of the interative object inaccessible. Sorry about that!

That's about it. Some pages and information will be updated tomorrow. I've run out of time for the time being. Have fun!
    jonathonspy and xaliber like this.
Return to update list...