1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Penguin Piracy (SUSPENDED DEVELOPMENT) V11.2.1

Pirates! Plunderers! Penguins! This mod adds penguin affiliated content, and much more!

1. Penguin Piracy V11.1 - Minor tweaks and adjustments

ManicRykker
    Penguin Piracy V11.1 CHANGELOG

-Penguin Piracy now utilizes the tags system on the Steam Workshop. (Falling under Species, Objects and Furniture,
    and Armor and Cloths.... as I thought that best describes it without stretching into too many categories.. :rofl:)

TWEAKS

-The Dreadwing Rematch boss's UFO phase is now immune to lava.
    -The DreadwingRematch boss's NPC phase now has various status immunities (including lava.)
    -All penguin piracy loot in your ship locker is now obtained from a simple grab bag. This is to reduce the
    amount of slots being taken up in the future by the mod for new character's ship lockers.
    -The Penguin King has a new potential line.
    -The spawnrates for the penguin scouts has been adjusted:
    -Penguin generals are now much less common. (They don't like going out into the field as often)
    -Penguin rocket troopers are now a little less common than regular penguin troopers
    -The Penguin general scout no longer only spawns at night. (You'd think I would have noticed that...)
    -The penguin scout enemies can now spawn in snow biomes.
    -The penguin general and rocket trooper (as well as their scout forms found on icy worlds) have had
    their animation files adjusted to make their arms less..... "wonky."

-----------------------------------------------------

STATUS REPORT:

Ok... I think it's time that I make another status report. Some of you have probably been wondering
    "Hey Manic? What happened to Penguin Piracy development?" Well I have addressed this before, but I figure
    I need to reiterate why I don't update this project as often. I'll hit some things but bit by bit.

I somewhat hit a roadblock in terms of development. I currently don't have the experience necessary to attempt
    some of the things I would like to do in Penguin Piracy (I would like for the mod to have missions and dungeons
    someday).. So I just kinda put the project in a state of suspended development..

I didn't like doing it, but I felt if I didn't, I would have risked turning the mod into an experimental
    dumping ground... plus, Pandora's Box would have hogged much of my focus anyway.

MOD QUIRKS
    That said, I'm not completely satisfied with the mod's current state. I am very satisfied with some of the
    things I've done with it (The penguin ship, armor, accessories and such), but there are some things I think could
    be better...

-The Dreadwing UFO rematch has been reported to wander off after killing the player at times... I would have
    really liked for the boss to stop all movement when it's target is killed, but I never found a way to do that.

-There's also a reported issue that the important item drops for the penguin's questline can be hindered by
    mods that also tamper with the boss droppools...

I have no idea why this happens, and I was never able to find a perfect solution...

-There are quirks with the penguins that I could never fix. While they are generally stable, penguin
    npc flipper movements when interacting with various objects can look strange (This is actually a vanilla issue
    lo and behold.. so no clue if this is even fixable.).. additionally, your portrait
    doesn't appear in the top left corner in the player's portrait window (neither does it appear in the upper-left
    corner inventory portrait)

-Some slots in the upper right portion of the built-in race extender don't display their tooltip information for
    races occupying them... Was never able to find what caused that, and whether I could even fix it.

If anyone ever finds a solution to stuff like this that doesn't cause bugs elsewhere, please contact me. I could
    use your fix to rectify said issues (Though some, like the npc issue is a limitation I think...)

MOD ASSETS
    Also remember that you are completely allowed to fiddle with the main mod's assets. If there's something you want
    to add in a separate mod, go for it.

MOD RACE EXTENDER

I've had folks ask me if I could separate the mod's race extender, or make a separate version that doesn't use it.
    The simple answer, is no... and here is why:

-Before the implementation of that, how the penguin races were handled was VERY messy. They were all in the form
    of individual, small separate addon mods that really only made the races show up on the race extenders...

This caused massive amounts of confusion, both on the workshop side of things, and on the forums. (On the workshop, it
    often resulted in, every day, new players asking how they play as a penguin...
    (Even though the description explained how to do that... but folks apparently like to ignore that.)

In the archive for the forum branch, It cluttered up the installation process.)

Eventually? I got tired of it. I got sick of having to keep track of like 10 small separate mods, and made the
    built-in race extender.

Thus:
    -I won't be reverting to the clutter, for self explanatory reasons
    -I won't be creating an *entire* duplicate of the mod, just to bring back the cluttered addon system, and for what
    is really just a visual difference. (This isn't even considering the new confusion that would result from this,
    since players don't read instructions or consider what the descriptions try to tell them.)

The *most* I will likely do someday, is increase the number of slots available for modded races... but that won't
    happen for a very long time.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience... and if a race extender really prevents you from using this? I'm sorry.
    It's just not worth the confusion, and the added maintenance.

All that said, I hope that clears some things up. See you around guys.
Return to update list...