1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Pandora's Box (Legacy) V4.0.2-Final

This aims to add variations to unique monsters, add uniques of it's own, and other little tweaks!

1. ManicRykker
    [​IMG]

----------PANDORA'S BOX----------

Growing tired of seeing the exact same forms of unique monsters? Want to see new unique monsters? Looking for some
    enhancements and improvements? Well Pandora's Box could provide just what you're looking for!

Pandora's Box aims to add variations to unique monsters, add new monsters of it's own, and make other tweaks
    and enhancements intended to improve quality of life revolving around monsters and other aspects of Starbound.

I work on it as I go... but I plan on doing much more with it.

--------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ---------------------------------

NOTES BEFORE DOWNLOADING
    -This isn't a mod that can be installed and uninstalled at will. It adds new unique monsters of it's own, and any planets that pull from it's spawntypes will NOT work if you
    uninstall. You will either have to clear an affected planet's files, or reinstall the mod.
    (Making backups of your universe files is highly advised.)

USEFUL LINKS

Steam Workshop Branch - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1117792278

Steam Workshop Unstable Branch - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1225589201

Chucklefish Forums branch - https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/pandoras-box.4954/

The Pandora's Box Q/A - http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/1117792278/1471969431584477326/

Asset Redistribution and Alteration Terms - http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/1117792278/1488861734113688591/

Spicer Content - http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/1225589201/2549465882934010348/

Discord - https://discord.gg/rUc5Bwe

----------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    FEATURES

-2000+ Variations for vanilla unique monsters.
    (So many colorations!)

-40+ New unique monsters, and extended monster families.
    (Such vibrant zoos!)

-Enhancements and adjustments to the pet system
    (Homing capture pods, name-able pets, items that extend your pet limit, pets have stat-affecting personalities, and several helpful objects and tools to make utilizing pets more fun, and comfortable!)

-Aims to introduce thoughtful features across the board.
    (Monsters are our main focus, but we also add things like new techs, and new hoverbike colors!)

-Asset IDs utilize tags, lowering the chance of asset duplicate conflictions with other mods! (We're expanding with care!)

-A devotion to bring the community a mod with thought, care, and love poured into every aspect of it! (I'm a Starbounder at heart, and aim to create and coordinate a resource that can mesh with Starbound playthroughs!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ASSETS FROM OTHER MODS/USERS

This mod incorporates some assets from other mods and users. (Various contributions, pulls with permission, and from mods with open asset permissions.) The credits list is too long for the description, so have a link to that instead!

Link to the Mod's Credit Thread - http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/1117792278/1499000547480820242/

[​IMG]

All that said, I hope you enjoy using Pandora's Box as much as I do developing it!
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.

Recent Reviews

1. NightmareDL
    NightmareDL
    5/5,
    Version: V4.0.2-Final
    Adds a lot of Poptops.Also the other new stuff is really good , awesome job.
  2. Kain777
    Kain777
    5/5,
    can't and won't play SB without this mod, an excellent mod, it changed the game "Bigly" for me, i much appreciate the time and work you put into making this mod, thank you.
  3. artguk
    artguk
    5/5,
    I fixed the error "Pandora's Box (Legacy) V4.0.2-Final".
    The problem was in the line "parameters.familyIndex = monster.familyIndex ()" because of it. Monster's family index got a value equal to zero because of what creatures were destroyed, but did not appear in the Capture Podbut did not appear in the Capture Pod
    Now everything works. I have packaged a modification.
    Corrected modification can be downloaded from the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19uI6V5xDVYiLRBbVjYhBdyDTU4znKd0_/view?usp=sharing
  4. Hatefulpeace
    Hatefulpeace
    5/5,
    Version: V3.5.1
    Really love this mod
  5. sayter
    sayter
    5/5,
    Pay no mind to Sonny The Floran's "review" below. He's so incredibly wrong he isn't worth paying any attention to. If it's "the worst mod he's ever used" he clearly hasn't used very many, or has no idea what he is talking about.

This mod is well designed, adds a *ton* of replayability to your game as well as quite literally *hundreds* of new creature variations to appear in your biomes. If you aren't a complete fool, you should be able to tackle any of them with a bit of common sense and planning, thanks to every one having various weaknesses.

The mod author has gone above and beyond to make something fresh, interesting, and accessible to players (and the quality makes that clear)

If you're looking for added challenge, variety, and more vivid fauna on your biomes, you want this mod.
  6. ra13th
    ra13th
    5/5,
    *download the mod
    *open starbound game
    *create new characters
    *choose hardcore mode
    *play new characters
    *beam down
    *meet with gleap
    *say hello to my little friends
    *cannot kill the gleap
    *after 5 minutes
    *dies
  7. Xairusk
    Xairusk
    5/5,
    nice
  8. SonnyTheFloran
    SonnyTheFloran
    1/5,
    This is by far the worst mod i have ever used.

First, it makes the game MUCH harder, but in a tedious and unfair way. Most monsters from this mod have extreme physical damage resistance, making 90% of weapons you get worthless, only ones being slightly usable being overall extremely powerfull or elemental.

Second, it doesnt add variants of monsters, but mere reskins, and terribly ugly ones at that. This mod is the definition why simply switching around colors randomly is a bad idea. Most of the "variants" of monsters look so ugly i often find myself questioning of my graphics card is broken.

Third, the monster it adds are extremely tough or NEARLY INVINCIBLE, while in some cases looking like a piece of crap. LITERALLY. "Gummi", one of the monsters this mod adds, literally looks like a piece of crap! And the worst part is, it has insanely high health too! And it often splits apart to the point where its nearly impossible to hit!

Fourth, and the worst, YOU CANT UNINSTALL THIS MOD EASILY. Hell, i dont know if it can be uninstalled AT ALL. It seriously is a Pandora's box. If you open it, you either may for whatever reason enjoy how unfair and tedious the game becomes, or end up like me, crying out to all the gods you can think of to help you get rid of this mod.

Tl:dr - it makes the game so tedious and unfair that i can NOT recommend this mod to anyone. Alternate variants of monsters are just worthless reskins while the new ones are ugly and uninspired, in addition to being annoying as hell to fight.
    1. ManicRykker
      Author's Response
      I'll tackle your fourth point first, as that caught my eye immediately...

It is said >IN THE DESCRIPTION< for this mod, that it can't be uninstalled at the drop of a hat. That is on you. I can not help players that don't read the description, or do research before throwing a mod into their mods folder. Mods like these aren't like plugins. You can't just toss it in and out as you please.

A one-way trip, is a one-way trip. This is due to the nature of what the mod does. (Frackin Universe is like that as well fyi.) Anyway, as for the rest of your points...

1. There are some players that enjoy the added difficulty, and many that agree vanilla monsters unaltered are too weak. They
      are too squishy, and useless as pets. Why do you think so many modders make attempts to rework them? They're absolute garbage in vanilla. If they were fine as they were, there would be no need for adjustments.

(That said, I have been planning for a rework of monster stats in addition to hopefully supplying new weapons for the starting tier. Balance is important to me. I do wish to hit a balance between approach-ability and challenge... but I won't be sacrificing the latter because someone isn't up to snuff. Other players fair against the monsters in their current state fine despite the difficulty increase.)

2. The variants are supposed to be palette swaps.

It is intended to give pre-existing unique monsters (as well as my own) new colorations to work with (rather than one single static sheet). Many find encountering monsters with the same exact appearance on every planet exceptionally dull. (Myself included.)

Those "random colors" took a tedious amount of time to set up across the mod's life btw. There are thousands of alternate sheets added by this mod.

If you aren't a fan of any of them, there isn't much I can do about that. That falls on the tastes of the player. The rest of our userbase loves the variety, therefore I have no plans on changing things.
      As for new species...

3. Most PB monsters expand on existing families. Others form new ones. (ie the Poptop and it's relatives vs the Trapogo ("mimic") family.)

I can not help with hate for specific monsters added by this mod. That again falls on player preferences. I know many players that like the Gummi family, as well as people such as yourself who do not.

However, I won't be ripping out assets for a specific group with a specific set of preferences. Gummies may see adjustments in their future like everything else, but I have no intentions of removing them "because they look like a piece of crap".

I am sorry that you are not satisfied, though I wish you would have opted to reach out to me with feedback rather than trashing a passion project I have spent a year developing. The mod even has a Discord... We would have been more than happy to chat with you.

If there's anything I hope you take out of all this, is that you be more careful installing mods from here on out, and do more research into what you're adding to your game...
      We cannot help you if you don't read our descriptions. They are there for a reason.

(That said, I will be taking some of your points, despite their hostility, into consideration for the mod's development as I always try to do for my players (Ex-user or otherwise.)

In addition to the stat reworks I had already planned, I may take a larger amount of screenshots for previews of content, since the ones shown apparently aren't enough.) I hope you have a nice day.
  9. murtazza
    murtazza
    5/5,
    Version: V3.1.1
    more monsters and colored old ones

enhanced pet mechanics

more action figures for new monsters
    and some new furniture

Nice mod keep up the good work ★★★★★
  10. qualiyah
    qualiyah
    5/5,
    Version: V3.1.1
    At first I thought I had no need for this mod, since Frackin' Universe already adds a bunch of variants. I was SO wrong! I was *sold* on this mod from the very first planet I beamed onto. The new monsters are so creative and well-designed and make exploring far more interesting.

The mod also makes exploring more challenging, since many monsters have high resistances to certain damage types. So people who prefer easy-to-kill monsters might not like this.