1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

More Farming (MFM) 1.1 (PG)

Spice up your fridges with More Farming!

1. Mackinz
    By request of TheBigBlueSerpent, I have taken over the MoreFoodMod project, as well as several other BigBlueSerpent mods. Since four of them (MFM, MSM, BMB, PB+J) add to farming in Starbound, I decided I would update them all at once as part of a new mega-mod - I hope you are ready for More Farming! Now with Compact Crops support! (Please read the entire mod page before downloading and getting confused)

[​IMG]
    Thanks to Tsunder (a.k.a. Astraltor) for helping me find the font, and best friend Tabitha Dragonith for helping with the outline on the above image.

What Does This Mod Do?

This mod is an update to TheBigBlueSerpent's MoreFoodMod, which added a ton of crops and a ton of different foods to the game. More Farming does the same, but in a more polished and developed way - as you go harvesting crops and crafting new foods to eat, you'll uncover new recipes which you can use to create even more varieties of food. Ever wanted to eat a baked potato or some scrambled eggs in Starbound? Well, now you can!

This mod adds almost 200 new consumable items to game, as well as 30 new crops which you can purchase as seeds at the Terramart or find on your travels to new planets. On top of that, it also adds interesting new appliances to your available crafting stations, and also changes how you harvest a few of the vanilla crops.

At a later point in time, I hope to go over every aspect of the mod in detail, but I will start with the stores and go from there.

Your New Favorite Shopping Center(s)

As I said before, this mod adds a fresh shipment of new items to be sold at the Terramart.

[​IMG]

What can be found here? In addition to their existing wares, the Terramart now sells various produce and seeds from More Farming.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is your main source for more crop seeds to expand your farms if you are not satisfied with your existing yields, and also allows access to crops which don't yet have a farmable plant available in your area.

However, that is not all. The Infinity Express was also interested in expanding its wares to increase sales. Who can blame them?

[​IMG]

At the Infinity Express, in addition to their existing miscellaneous items like Liquid Erchius and Processors, you can find the most important items in the universe...

[​IMG]

Tasty snacks!

...and cooking ingredients.

[​IMG]

Though there is benefit to be had in producing your own ingredients for your dishes, the Infinity Express serves as a way to obtain necessary or optional ingredients like Cooking Oil, Salt and Ketchup, as well as packages of powdered ingredients like Flour, Yeast and Sugar. Particularly important is the Sugar - word through the grapevine is that there is a retiring bounty hunter with a soft-spot for pastries. You might need some in the future! Keep it in mind!

For the Survivalist in All of Us

Not everyone is keen on making trips to the grocery store to buy ingredients that can be made at home. After obtaining your seeds from exploring (or the Terramart - we don't judge), you'll need ways to shape these ingredients into food. Fortunately, you can do so with a bit of metallurgy.

At the universally-standard Wooden Crafting Table, you can find three new objects that can be crafted: the Hand Butter Churn, the Hand Mill, and the Hand Press.

[​IMG]
    Each object requires some wood and a smidgen of Iron to craft, and is necessary to transform ingredients.

• Hand Butter Churn (6 Iron Bars, 8 Wooden Planks) - Churns Milk and Cream into Butter.
    • Hand Mill (4 Iron Bars, 4 Wooden Planks) - Grinds various produce into powdery items like Flour, Sugar and Cornmeal.
    • Hand Press (4 Iron Bars, 2 Wooden Planks) - Used to produce Cocoa Butter.

Useful as they may be, however, Iron just is not strong enough a material to do everything necessary to be a chef. That is why you need Steel.

At the Iron Crafting Table, several new tools are available: the Blender, the Coffee Machine, the Fridge, the Ice Machine, the Microwave, and the Basic Oven.

[​IMG]

Due to wiring necessities and durability requirements, all objects here require Steel and Copper.

• Blender (4 Steel Bars, 2 Glass Blocks) - Used to turn solid produce like Grapefruit, Lemons and Red Apples into healthy juices.
    • Coffee Machine* (4 Steel Bars, 2 Glass Blocks) - Toss in some Roasted Coffee Beans and watch them bred!
    • Fridge* (8 Steel Bars, 4 Copper Bars) - You will need somewhere to store your food, right? You aren't planning on eating all of it at once, I hope...
    • Ice Machine (6 Steel Bars, 4 Copper Bars) - Ever find yourself in need of ice? Throw some Liquid Water in, and you will find it freezes rather quickly!
    • Microwave* (4 Steel Bars, 1 Copper Bar) - Provides a quick way to cook foods, as an alternative to an open flame.
    • Basic Oven* (6 Steel Bars, 2 Copper Bars) - A standard gas-range oven that cooks like any campfire or microwave.

( * = Part of Vanilla Starbound - recipe is added by the mod)

Even Old Dogs Can Learn New Tricks

First time users of More Farming may end up confused on how to obtain recipes to craft new foods. Don't be - just play like normal, because several items you pick up will teach you new recipes to cook. As you encounter new produce, over time you will learn several new recipes. Pick up Rice, for example, and you will learn how to make Riceballs. Craft Bread with Wheat and you will learn how to make varieties of French Toast. Purchase some Eggs or Milk from the Terramart and you will figure out how to make Scrambled Eggs, and Ice Creams!

Just like in the real world, experimentation is necessary to find new things - More Farming is no exception to that.

And, not only can you learn more tricks - so can the crops you are used to growing:

• Sugarcane now is harvested as sugarcane, which can be milled into raw sugar!

[​IMG]

• Coffee now only produces Coffee Seeds which have to be roasted on an open flame to produce Roasted Coffee Beans!

[​IMG]

• Neonmelon is harvested as a full, placeable Neonmelon like its new compatriot, Pumpkin! Place it down and break it again for a bunch of fruit slices and seeds!

[​IMG]

...and that's it for the changes to your old favorites for now.

Wait, I Can Build With This Stuff Too?

Did I forget to mention the new blocks that have been added? I did, didn't I?

[​IMG]

They are Neonmelon Blocks, Pumpkin Blocks, Sugar Blocks, Sugarcane Blocks, Chocolate Blocks, Dark Chocolate Blocks, and White Chocolate Blocks. You learn their recipes after picking up their crafting materials.

In addition, this mod adds recipes for Thatch, Bamboo and Sod Blocks. You learn their recipes by picking up Reeds, Bamboo Stalk and Grass Seeds.

A Chocolate-y Affair

Of all the foods added by this mod, Chocolate is probably the most complex to produce of all. Some require a couple extra steps beyond crafting at the Wooden Cooking Table, but none are as involved as Cacao/Cocoa. This section will focus on refining Cacao Beans into Chocolate.

Like all other crops, Raw Cacao Beans are obtained by growing its plant, the Cacao tree, from seeds you have found on Jungle worlds or from the Terramart. Ready to be harvested, Cacao trees look like this:

[​IMG]

To make these beans useable, you need to bake them until they are roasted.

[​IMG]

People new to crafting chocolate will learn to craft Cocoa Nibs from these Cocoa Beans. To make Cocoa Nibs, you need to visit your regular Wooden Cooking Table.

[​IMG]

Toss those Cocoa Nibs into your Hand Mill to produce Cocoa Powder (which also can be bought at the Infinity Express).

[​IMG]

Toss this powder in your campfire to produce Chocolate Liquor (it's not alcoholic).

[​IMG]

Now toss your Chocolate Liquor into your Hand Press to produce... Cocoa Butter! Be careful about using up all your Chocolate Liquor, though - unless you get more, you will not be able to produce some kinds of Chocolate!

[​IMG]

Upon picking up this Cocoa Butter, you will learn how to craft Chocolate, Dark Chocolate and White Chocolate. Yum!

[​IMG]

At your Wooden Cooking Table, you'll find the three recipes. All require Cocoa Butter and Vanilla Extract as well as Sugar and a couple other varying ingredients. A sweet treat, indeed.

Hindsight is 20/20 (Installing, Reporting Issues and Suggestions)

Humans are not perfect. We can overlook many things. That is why this section is necessary,

Installing MFM:

1. Navigate to your \Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods\ folder, usually found within \Steam\steamapps\common\
    2. Download the ZIP file associated with this mod.
    3. Open the ZIP file with a program like 7Zip.
    4. Drag the folder "MFM - 1.1 - PG" (or similar) into your mods folder.
    5. Play Starbound.

Reporting Issues:

Always post your issues IN THE DISCUSSION THREAD. I am very attentive, and I will always respond to an issue posted in the Discussion thread.

Regarding game crashing: Error pop-ups tell modders nothing about how to solve any issue you may come across. A basic guide to reporting errors is here. I WILL need to see your log file before I can help you. Capisce?

Other issues: If your issue is not crash-related, but something more along the lines of "this can't be crafted" or "I get Perfectly Generic Items from harvesting this", I may need to see your log file as well - but it's more important that you post in the Discussion thread on the matter.

Suggestions:

Please leave suggestions in the related Discussion thread. I will respond to them with my thoughts there - however, suggestions are also valid if included within a mod review.

Onwards Toward the Future

Now, I am not BigBlueSerpent. Though I have been entrusted with this mod, I will likely not be producing new content for this mod. Why, you ask? Because I am simply not a pixel artist like BigBlueSerpent was. However, what I can and will do is maintain compatibility as Starbound updates, improve the balance of the mod, AND improve the descriptions of the items and objects added by this mod. Pixel art is one thing - writing and balancing are others, and they happen to be something I am decent at.

Up until BigBlueSerpent decides to take over this mod again, I will oversee its development and ensure a user-friendly, balanced experience based off of the basic Starbound cooking system.

However, just because I lack skills with pixel art, does not mean that others do. The mod author jaseofbase, for example, has produced a fantastic add-on for the original MoreFoodMod called "Yes Chef!".

[​IMG]
    Click the image or this text to be directed to the Yes Chef! mod.

What does it do? It makes cooking in Starbound far more complex and diverse, with some absolutely amazing pixel art. While BigBlueSerpent is away, jaseofbase's add-on can be considered a "continuation" of this mod, in its own way.

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING YES CHEF!

What to expect of this mod in future updates:
    • Recipe Balance Changes
    • Unique-ish/Balanced Consumable Effects (there is a lot of placeholder effects)
    • Crop Balance Changes
    • Documentation of the Things Added By This Mod
    • Possibly Further Modifications to Vanilla Crops
    • Item and Object Description "Prettification"
    • A Statue to Our Lord and Savior Gordon Ramsay
    But... for now, have fun!

Other Miscellaneous Things

This mod uses the materialIDs 19201 to 19207. A more complete list of materialIDs used by mods can be found here.
    • Thanks to TheBigBlueSerpent for letting me update his mods.
    • Thanks to CrispyBlockland for the Pumpkin crop, and food blocks.
    • Thanks to kingofcrows for the Cinnamon crop.
    • Thanks to Lord Humungus for a list of biomes which crops could be found.
    • Thanks to Chucklefish for making Starbound.
    • Thanks to You for playing Starbound!
    You are allowed to use this mod in mod packs without my permission, but you must ask for permission if you want to redistribute individual assets of this mod.

If, in the event that this mod is rendered incompatible with the latest version of Starbound and I have made no mention of updating it, please attempt to contact me - if I do not respond in a day, then you have my permission to update and take over this mod until I return.

DO NOT REPORT ERRORS OR BUGS IN THE REVIEW SECTION OF THIS MOD. THERE IS A DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THOSE KINDS OF THINGS.
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.
    Yoseiri, lannihamm, Vrow and 11 others like this.

Recent Reviews

1. Ultan
    Ultan
    5/5,
    Version: 1.1 (PG)
    Really awesome mod. Now i am happy like a kid who get "Lego" =D. My suggestion - this mod need an integration with Starbooze, Bees! and FU . Anyway it's now a 100+ ways to cook in Starbound and now cooking get almostly real deal =3
  2. 暴走的南瓜
    暴走的南瓜
    5/5,
    awesome! love it :D
  3. Luthor614
    Luthor614
    5/5,
    Forgot to rate this way back...excellent job dude ;-)
  4. Kircala
    Kircala
    5/5,
    I am having so much fun with all the farming and cooking now! Thank you!
  5. pcwasomeness2
    pcwasomeness2
    5/5,
    awesome mod it is the best one of my faveirot mods and my own person pcawesomness1 I'm borrowing this person.
  6. tybo
    tybo
    5/5,
    in the vanilla game, my only regret was about the cooking/farming, a little light.
    With this, not anymore :D
  7. jaseofbase
    jaseofbase
    5/5,
    Excellent collation of produce that gave me the means and idea to create Yes Chef! alot quicker. Dilligent behind the scenes work by Mackinz whom I know has been working very hard with all this. A pleasure to collaborate!
  8. endlessmark
    endlessmark
    5/5,
    Version: 1.0 (PG)
    Great Mod! must have with YesChef :)
  9. Mimaah
    Mimaah
    5/5,
    It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to bake a cake for that cake quest.

This and Yes Chef! are amazing together, I definitely want to try more farming and baking now.
  10. Luthor614
    Luthor614
    5/5,
    Mackinz, you're the man and that's all there is to it dude.