1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Mining Laser 1.4

Lasers are the future!

1. Zion Fox
    Mining Laser v1.4 - Pleased Giraffe
    Created by Zion Fox - Based from originals within the game

[​IMG]

First and foremost, thanks for downloading my first mod. I hope you have as much pleasures out of using this as I have creating it. This mod simply finishes an asset which everyone already has, and will work flawlessly on multiplayer because of it.

Additionally, I'd like to offer thanks to Ephemerality from IRC, who helped me test and find a flaw with the mod.

If the download link above isn't working, then you can use this mirror: http://zionfox.net/dl/mininglaser/mininglaser.zip

Installation

Installing the mod is as easy as unzipping the file into your ./mods/ folder. The zip contains a file with all the assets within it.

An easier method, if you use 7z, or Winrar, or another GUI based archive program, is to drag and drop the "MiningLaser" folder into the mods folder.

(Re)Start Starbound, and craft a Laser Diode from the Wiring Station, you should gain a new blueprint for the laser miner.

Video Review - xtomass
    Skip to 1:44

Crafting and Resources

You gain the crafting recipe after crafting a Laser Diode, which is available from the Wiring Station.
    If you already have a Laser Diode, drop it on the floor, and pick it up, you should learn the recipe.

The laser should now appear in the Robotic Crafting Table near the bottom, or filter to tools, or search. It will also appear in the Tabula Rasa crafting monolith, if you have it installed.

It requires the following to craft
    [​IMG]
    The drill is used for the chassis of the device, the fuel rods help power and create the beam, and the diode is used to focus (and colour) the beam.
    The pixels because you should have around this many by now, and because of the power it has to make it a bit more fair.

For this, you gain a mining laser with a durability of 2,500 (Diamond Drill is 250), that mines a 6x6 (alt is 1x1), at a very fast speed and high power.

Support and Troubleshooting

If you are having difficulty finding the recipe for the laser, try using your filter for tools, or searching for it.
    Make sure the "New blueprints are available" appears at the bottom when you pick up the Laser Diode.
    If it still doesn't appear, make sure you don't have other mods that alter the item file for the Laser Diode.

The graphical and item assets for this are available to all players, all players should see the item being used by you,
    and you can transfer the item to them, but they would not be able to use it without this mod. The default laserminer.miningtool file in all installations is not complete, this mod simply completes it.
    Due to serverside mods not being transferred to all players yet, installing this on a server will serve no purpose. It will fully work on multiplayer without other players having the mod.

Any other support or questions can be sent to my email: ziontristan@gmail.com

Changelog
    v1.4
    Updated version to Pleased Giraffe.
    Changed rarity from Rare to Legendary.
    Changed Uranium Rod requirement to Plutonium Rod.
    Changed visual offset so it no longer looks like a handbag.
    Changed impact sounds to match the Matter Manipulator.
    Restructured folder system to work with current layout.
    Increased sale price from 0 to 10,000 pixels.
    Increased mining power from 4.5 to 7.5 to be superior to the best Matter Manipulator, who's power is 5.0.
    Increased block radius from 5 to 6.
    Lowered durability from 10,000 to 2,500. This will balance the power of it by letting it expire.
    Remove idle sound due to them not working.
    Added breaking sound when the device breaks.​

v1.3​
    Updated version to Enraged Koala.​
    v1.2
    Lowered power from 4.7 to 4.5.
    Updated version to Furious Koala.​

v1.1a​
    Fixed the Readme file. Derpfox. D:
    v1.1​
    Lowered power from 5.0 to 4.7.
    Reduced pixel cost from 20,000 to 15,000.
    Removed Solarium requirement.
    Removed Plutonium requirement.
    Replaced Rubium Ore with Laser Diode, since now you can craft one.
    Added crafting ability "mod", so it will now appear in Tabula Rasa (Not required, will also appear in Robotic Crafting Table).
    Updated version to Angry Koala.​
    v1.0​
    Public Release.​
    v0.5a​
    Gained assistance from Ephemerality to help find a syntax issue with the recipe, and balanced recipe items.​
    v0.4a​
    Added new recipe requirements, to ones that make sense.​
    v0.3a​
    Testing using the beam from matter manipulator to act as the laser, broke things further, reverted.​
    v0.2a​
    Using the Diamond Drill as a base, fixed the laser to work, changing its size, speed, durability, and power.​
    v0.1a​
    Initial build, testing technique and verifying.​
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.

Recent Reviews

1. Zeptor
    Zeptor
    5/5,
    Version: 1.4
    Can I use it in the new v1.0(07/2016)? Couldn't find the mining
  2. AceTheAvenger
    AceTheAvenger
    2/5,
    Okay, I hate to be that guy, but I came in expecting an actual laser beam, not a matter manipulator 2.0. :/
  3. Akre
    Akre
    4/5,
    Great idea. Finally a more futuristic tool to work with! But IMO your last changes went in the wrong direction: the tool is way too powerful and should have more durability so you don't have to worry for it's ingredients after building it. I would have given 5 stars, if it weren't for the last update. Still, a nice mod.
    1. Zion Fox
      Author's Response
      Thank you for the review. Yeah, I was a bit weird with the power of it, ripping through everything like nothing. I'll likely make an update soon balancing the power and durability around to make it better. Any suggestions, personally?
  4. lornlynx
    lornlynx
    5/5,
    Version: 1.3
    Very cool tool, love the aesthetics.
  5. bomberman379
    bomberman379
    5/5,
    Great mod, very mobile whilst using it, love it.
  6. xtomass
    xtomass
    5/5,
    Really cool looking tool, fantastically efficient and surprisingly balanced for something this powerful.

Also covered this on my mod List series.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzUPgQi9Tcs
    (Can i beg thee to put this video in the mod description?)
    1. Zion Fox
      Author's Response
      Added, thanks for the reivew. :D
  7. Planetgamer247
    Planetgamer247
    5/5,
    Great Late-Game item, Just one thing, If the game updates what will happen to it? would we lose it and have to craft another? or will we still have it?
    1. Zion Fox
      Author's Response
      Depends on what happens to your character. It will stay with your character through updates, weather it works or not. (You can tell if it doesn't work by it not moving with your arms to follow the cursor).
  8. Simon Lasonne
    Simon Lasonne
    5/5,
    Very Good!
  9. I Said No
    I Said No
    5/5,
    Version: v1.2
    Reduces the tedium and grind of mass-mining projects immensely. The item itself costs a fair amount to actually obtain, so this works out quite well overall.
  10. Ultra Strich
    Ultra Strich
    5/5,
    Version: v1.2
    Yeah, a muat have!