a Starbound Mod for Glad Giraffe, by intrepid-explorer
Summary: This mod provides big guns with a very high rate of fire.
These weapons are modeled after the real-life minigun: The M134 (aka GAU-2, GAU-17, Mk44, etc) minigun is a 7.62x51 mm NATO, six-barrel machine gun with a powered rotary feed that provides a high rate of fire. It features Gatling-style rotating barrels powered by an electric motor. It is made from steel and more recent models include titanium to cut the weight to 41 pounds or 19 KG, excluding ammunition. Multiple barrels allow for a high firing rate because the firing/extraction/loading processes take place in all barrels simultaneously -- as one barrel fires, two others are in different stages of shell extraction and another three are being loaded. The minigun is composed of multiple closed-bolt rifle barrels arranged in a circular housing. The minigun is typically tuned to 3200 rounds per minute to avoid overheating and optimize hit potential.
This mod's minigun is a large 2-handed ranged weapon that fires 20 times a second which adds up to a lot of damage and a lot of energy cost. The barrel length makes it ineffective at melee range. The projectiles have tracers to light up your line of fire. Fire in short bursts to avoid energy exhaustion.
There are tiered variants with different materials, appearance, power, and effects, with about 20% more DPS than the tiered Novakid rifles and correspondingly higher energy cost. Better armor improves these numbers. Higher tier models require fuel materials, have increased damage, and most of them inflict status effects or area damage. The materials used to make the guns influence each model's appearance.
Tier 2: Metalwork Station
MiniGun_______1____tracer bullet______6 copper, 24 steel, 12 gunpowder
Tier 3: Robotic Crafting Table
NapalmCannon_2___fire bombs_______6 silver, 24 titanium, 12 oil, 12 copper
BurstCannon___2___explosive bullet___6 silver, 24 titanium, 12 gunpowder, 12 copper
ToxicCannon___2___poison bullet______6 silver, 24 titanium, 12 poison, 12 glass block
Tier 5: Accelerator's Table
LaserCannon__3____laser__________6 plutonium, 6 durasteel, 18 rubium, 6 diamonds
PlasmaCannon_3___plasma________6 plutonium, 6 durasteel, 18 aegisalt, 6 diamonds
ViolentCannon_3____electric explosion_6 plutonium, 6 durasteel, 18 violium, 6 diamonds
Tier 6: Accelerator's Table
StormCannon_4___electric_________6 gold, 6 durasteel, 18 cerulium, 12 diamonds
SunCannon___4___explosion_______6 gold, 6 durasteel, 18 impervium, 12 diamonds
MoonCannon__4__bouncing plasma__6 gold, 6 durasteel, 18 ferozium, 12 diamonds
Build time (excluding play-testing): 1 hour artwork, 1 hour selecting vanilla assets, 2 hours to get a working MiniGun, 4 hours of tweaking to get the other guns working right. Version 1.1 update took 3 hours. Update 1.2 took 2 hours. Update 1.3 took 3 hours to find the changes to GG (different for each gun) that was causing the crash.
Known issues (help is welcome):
1. The high rate of fire puts a load on the computer. If you are on a low-end machine that tends to lag wit explosions and such, I recommend the MiniGun, Laser Cannon, Plasma Cannon, and Storm Cannon whose visual effects are less spectacular.
2. Descriptions aren't showing, which is sad because I put some thought into them. But the vanilla game has the same problem with ranged weapons.
Future updates if I can figure out how (help is welcome):
1. Whatever you suggest that is possible and makes sense.
1. Ghoul159's tutorial http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/mod-tutorial-3-how-to-make-your-own-gun-outdated.42937/ is outdated, but provided enough info to get the base working weapon
2. SexualRhinocerous' tutorial http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/how-to-successfully-pack-and-unpack-pak-files.66649/ to get the vanilla files, to dissect how the different weapons work and reuse many assets
3. Luminaesthesia's mod http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/your-starbound-crew.948/ for showing me how to add a recipe at load time -- and it's a great mod.
4. Chucklefish for making the game! I reused vanilla assets for projectiles, most of the sounds, and muzzle flash, because there was plenty of variety available. I had to rename them and put them in the mod folder for them to work properly, and that is best for compatibility anyway. Otherwise, the mod would have been a much smaller download. If CF doesn't like it, they'll tell me...and maybe tell me how to use the vanilla assets without duplication.
5. Feedback from players like you.
This mod may not be reproduced publicly or edited without my prior permission, except editing for private use. The artwork for the guns is mine, but the rest are vanilla assets for which I cannot grant reuse.
- Mod Pack Permissions:
- You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
- Mod Assets Permissions:
- You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.
Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.Dismiss Notice
Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
Outdated MiniGuns 1.3
Big guns with a high rate of fire!