1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Low Health Alarm v1.3_release

Rings the Critical Annoyance bell!

1. Hatefulpeace
    Hatefulpeace
    5/5,
    Version: v1.3_release
    Thanks for uploading this not just on steam for us GOG users now that steam blocked mod downloads
  2. K-A
    K-A
    5/5,
    Version: v1.2.1_release
    Dude, essential!
  3. species9000and1
    species9000and1
    4/5,
    Version: v0.9_alpha
    A good idea that I've wanted to implement for a while. However, I think there are ways to improve this mod. Allow me to give you some constructive ideas for this mod, if you are at all familiar with Lua scripting.

The main thing I think you should improve is to use the LocalAnimator table for the sound effect rather than the default Animator Lua table, if possible. A quick glance at your code reveals you use the normal Animator Lua table. The reason why I think you should use the LocalAnimator is because the default Animator plays sound effects to EVERY player in the vicinity. It would be annoying to people who both use the mod to hear the sound effect when their health isn't low, but their friend's is.

Unfortunately, the developers of Starbound either didn't take this into consideration or disagree with my point of view, because the low hunger and out of energy sounds use the default Animator Table too, so everyone can hear them... So, if you want another suggestion besides just the change to the Local Animator Table... Perhaps you could attribute those sound effects to the LocalAnimator as well, while you're at it? As in, expand the scope of this mod. I would understand if you want to keep the mod under a simple and small scope, I am simply suggesting this because it would make things more consistent, as well as user-friendly. Whether you take my suggestion is up to you of course.

As a last suggestion, perhaps a visual warning would be helpful as well. This is something I, personally, have always really wanted to see in Starbound. Although, it might be too intrusive for some people, so if you do decide to take the suggestion into account, make it an optional feature. Some people like this, others just find it to be too much feedback. I personally would enjoy a red border effect or something along such lines as an additional warning immensely. I'm not sure how one would go about implementing a screen effect, but I remember back in the olden days of Starbound, when there was temperature... The screen would get an overlay depending on your body temp. Maybe do some research into that if you'd like to implement this suggestion.

I appreciate you reading this, mod author. Keep on modding; It's quite an amazing field of work, if you ask me, and I for one appreciate your endeavors into it. :)
    1. andrielChaoti
      Author's Response
      A visual warning is in the planning stages (flashing health bar, for now) at the moment.. As for the LocalAnimator instead of the regular one. Perhaps as a change or the future as well.

Expanding the scope... That might actually be useful too... The suffocating sound also uses a public Animator as well, so e everyone can hear that one too. :)