1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated Kineptic Race Mod 12-22-2015

Magician Space Cats

1. kinky
    kinky
    5/5,
    Version: 2014-11-18
    It is rare and precious to have taste, ability, and the will to create.
  2. cha0t1ck1ng
    cha0t1ck1ng
    5/5,
    Version: 2014-12-23
    just amazing
  3. AlexQuinn13
    AlexQuinn13
    5/5,
    Version: 2014-12-23
    Awesome thanks for updating this one! I think they are cool!
    1. Quilavabom
      Author's Response
      Unfortunately, I had to roll back the update. You have the build though, so please let me know if you run into any problems.
  4. MeowTenore
    MeowTenore
    5/5,
    I dont get why this isnt a top mod! Keep updating pleees <3
    1. Quilavabom
      Author's Response
      Don't worry, I will continue to update! With the promise of a new stable version just on the horizon (a promise some would scoff at, but I'm more than willing to give Chucklefish the benefit of the doubt), I've been investing my efforts in keeping my nightly version as up-to-date as possible. That way, when this new stable release does finally go live, the kineptic can spring right into it without delay.

Sadly, I don't think the fireball spells are going to make it into that initial release. Balancing is an absolute pain, especially when you suddenly get hurt by the little molotov flames that the higher-level fireballs spit out. But I will eventually get them all in there.
  5. Rapmasterdylon
    Rapmasterdylon
    5/5,
    This new race is AMAZING i like how they say the are not "magic users" they are detailed well and are just Great
  6. Ciora80
    Ciora80
    5/5,
    This race is so much fun to play. Very pleasing to the eyes, too. Great job! <3
  7. rockwayportals
    rockwayportals
    5/5,
    This mod is amazing. I love the race and the replacement of flashlights and swords with spells, the character creation is awesome and I absolutely love it. No problems at all with the mod, it is just amazing.
  8. Saga
    Saga
    5/5,
    I didn't like any of the other races and this not only allows me to be a cat, my favorite animal, but also wield magic, my favorite weapon!
  9. Rävmunken
    Rävmunken
    5/5,
    Version: 2014-11-02
    Simply, amazing. My favorite custom race by far.

Cannot wait for future updates, keep up the good work.
  10. AutumnRedd
    AutumnRedd
    5/5,
    Version: 2014-11-02
    I was more of a cat person anyway :D
  11. Hanbei
    Hanbei
    5/5,
    Version: 2014-10-05
    Wonderful race! One of the best I've downloaded to be honest. I can't wait to see settlements + other improvements~ Keep it up! ^^
  12. Luke_Dragonblood
    Luke_Dragonblood
    5/5,
    Version: 2014-10-05
    awesome
  13. Cliffroot
    Cliffroot
    5/5,
    Version: 2014-09-21
    Very good mod, can't see anything wrong with it, cant wait for updates!
  14. 2000hackers
    2000hackers
    5/5,
    I haven't found anything wrong with this mod, so far. Its very creative. (it was a nice move to use the Avali sprites, it fits them.) i honestly haven't seen another mod with very detailed and unique culture and technology besides this mod and the Avali. Both have their own unique technology,lore, and life style, which all three together are pretty hard to find in race mods. So i hope this mod will live on, it doesn't deserve to die. And the best part in all of this, the mod is apparently still a W.I.P. meaning it will just keep getting better and better after each update.
  15. ThirtyUp
    ThirtyUp
    5/5,
    Love the idea of technomagi! Science that LOOKS like magic just fits in the Starbound universe. Can't wait to see how the updates continue.
  16. Aurian Runo
    Aurian Runo
    5/5,
    Ok, Time I come and give my little "First Impressions" of the race mod Kineptic and well I might edit this to chime up a little better.

Ok I just did a little bit of a surprise as I rather not flood this review with the massive amount of typeing I'd do so you can go to
    http://auriansimpressions.weebly.com/starbound---kineptic.html

and see all I have to say about the Kineptic race
    1. Quilavabom
      Author's Response
      It's funny how something as simple as making fire hydrophobic adds to something, doesn't it?
      I overlooked that functionality with the willowisp that got added in the most recent update.

Armors also got added; the sprites are tentative. I will be using the same method Ryu used for armors: The sprite sheets for armors and vanity are stupidly space-inefficient, and I'd like to keep the mod's file size as small as possible to reduce the duration of downloading it.

And besides, who actually wears the armor as vanity, anyway?

I do have a reason for not advancing past tier 4 on spells: The last six tiers are being split into different lines. I'd prefer not to have to rebalance.

As for the gloves, you are correct that they boost metabolism. They use the user's body like a battery. Eventually I hope to extend this to ALL spells, but it won't be anywhere near as drastic as with healing. Running out of energy is no big deal as long as you can get away. Starving is much less forgiving.

As for caffeine, I didn't use it because--while it does boost awareness--it does not provide fuel for metabolism like sugar, fat, and protein do. That's why all of their foods use sugar, meat, and otherwise unhealthy recipes. A pound of pure lard yields just a little less caloric output than a pound of gasoline. They need that energy to do work. Without that energy, their gloves also stop working...and so does the kineptic wearing it.

I can't quite remember were I was going with that. I think it had something to do with them not being 'true' wizards. It's technology. If we brought someone from 1000 years ago to the present, our flying metal monsters, picture frames to alternate realities, healing potions, and talking familiars that live in our pockets would probably seem pretty magical to them ;3
  17. Feathery Dust
    Feathery Dust
    5/5,
    Version: 2014-09-06 r2
    This is one of the most unique race mods out there, the characters and items look great, works without any bugs, and the only race I've seen out there which has spells for weapons. Overall a great mod!
  18. Versagger
    Versagger
    5/5,
    Version: 2014-09-06 r2
    Wery good mod.
  19. ZeroInfinity
    ZeroInfinity
    5/5,
    Version: 2014-08-24
    This mod is pretty much everything I love about the Avali, the Felins and that other magic mod. It's fantastic, the quality is really good.

+ I really like the baggy pants. Dyed tan, they look awesomely desert-esque, and me and a friend tested Avali/Kineptic intercompatibility of clothing and, while our clothes did look silly on each other, they didn't look glitchy. There was no clipping.

+ The balance on (at least tier 1 combat) spells is awesome. Kineptics do not get regular melee weapons, but they DO get spells. The energy costs may be a little light, but the spells are at exactly the right level of power. The basic spell is very ehhh, making a starting Kineptic more adept at movement thanks to the Pulse Jump tech than combat, which is a nice touch.
    + You start with MAGIC MISSILE! You can shoot magic missile at the darkness!
    - The fireball doesn't light up terrain nearby, and for some reason the fire stopped lighting up nearby terrain as well. Odd, but, beta.
    + Ward spell's crafting requirements are very nice, haven't gotten the chance to test it because we don't have enough iron but its crafting requirements are about T1 shield.
    - Heal's crafting recipe requires 3 medkits. Short of mods, I think I've only ONCE had 3 medkits, and never more. I got lucky and found one in a nearby prison, but I don't know where I'll find two more.
    + Illuminate is AWESOME. It actually feels functionally different, though no less powerful, than the other races's flashlights.
    * The starting spell is two-handed, preventing you from using Illuminate with it. It's balanced like vanilla, but I do find that annoying in vanilla.

+ Starting gear is awesome. Because of gear, Kineptics start less adept at combat and more adept at exploring. We got lucky and I found a nice, fast-attacking sword early on, but the starting weapon nicely balances out Pulse Jump.
    - Clothes selection isn't great, but beta so I understand.
    + Baggy pants are awesome!

+ Race spriting is beautiful and professional. Gender dimorphism is almost non-existant, but they're cats, so it makes sense. I have been around cats all my life and I can only see dimorphism in voices by casual inspection. If you do get meows for them, it'd be a nice touch to get one from a cat that's the same gender it's going to.
    + The facial expressions are AWESOME, especially the angry face. Angry face is best face.
    - Right now voices are more birdlike, but, again, beta.

All in all, this is an excellent start and I wholeheartedly endorse this mod.
  20. A_Link_to_the_Stars
    A_Link_to_the_Stars
    5/5,
    Version: 2014-08-24
    I love this mod! I like Cats, and I like Magic, so why not just mix the two? I believe that this mod is better than the Avali Mod, because The Avali mod just doesn't really fit my sort of personality. And, I know people keep asking this, but, just like kissit123 said, could you make the armours more Energy-Focused, and less defense focused. But, so far, this Mod is already a great one. Thanks!