1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated Interesting Starter Swords 2.4

Adds a bit of history, lore, and lifespan to your starting weapons

1. dantronix
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Version 2.4 / Enraged Koala

Now over 60 sword variations! 10 full tiers for each race!
    This mod adds a bit of history, lore, and lifespan to the starting weapons for all races.

I really like the "broken" starter swords and on my first play-through I had hoped I would eventually get to upgrade them. I don't know if it was ever the plan but at this early stage in Starbound's development the game seems to consider these items to be replaceable junk. I wanted starter weapons to be personalized companions, as you venture through the game.

Demo_00.jpg
    View Next Tier:
    Demo_01.jpg
    View Next Tier:
    Demo_02.jpg
    View Next Tier:
    Demo_03.jpg
    View Next Tier:
    Demo_04.jpg
    View Next Tier:
    Demo_05.jpg
    View Next Tier:
    Demo_06.jpg
    View Next Tier:
    Demo_07.jpg
    View Next Tier:
    Demo_08.jpg
    View Next Tier:
    Demo_09.jpg
    View Next Tier:
    Demo_10.jpg
    Full Tiers
    Demo_11.jpg human_switching.gif apex_switching.gif glitch_switching.gif avian_switching.gif floran_switching.gif hylotl_switching.gif
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hardcore cross-species action: Glitch likes his Hylotl sword...
    glitch with hylotl sword.jpg

Use
    Just keep your starter weapon around and upgrade it when possible using the anvil and metal work station.

Installation Instructions
    Remove any prior versions of the mod and extract the "Interesting Starter Swords" folder into the mods directory, under your game installation folder. Typically, this is C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\mods\.

So, the destination folder should be something like this:
    C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\mods\Interesting Starter Swords\

Warning: This mod does not alter any game files and lives entirely within the \mods folder. That being said, it does replace the starter weapon items for all vanilla races. My replacements are for art and description purposes only and do not alter the function or damage of these weapons. It is possible that other mods may also attempt to replace these items in which case one mod will win and one will lose. I suspect the winner will be the one which the game loads last.

Have you lost your starter sword, already? Want to play with a sword from another species instead?
    dantronix_starterbarrel.png Just as you copied the "Interesting Starter Swords" folder into the mods directory, above, also copy the "Starter Sword Barrel" folder into the mods directory. This will allow you to craft a Starter Sword Barrel from your default crafting menu. Press C.​

Additional Information
    Tested in Enraged Koala, in Windows only. Please let me know if you have issues.

Feedback
    I make mods for features that I would like to have but I truly appreciate the fact that you might enjoy them as well. Please feel free to review, rate, and make suggestions. Your feedback is much appreciated and, based on my available time, could easily influence the direction of my mods. Thank you!

TODO
    • Recipe Personalization
      • The swords are currently very well balanced, based on vanilla craftable weapons, but I would like to personalize the recipes as I get more time. For instance, one series of swords currently relies on diamonds while another relies on crystals. The recipes do not reflect these gems for either because of where and when these various ingredients become available in the game. I definitely want the recipes to reflect them but I also want the tiers to be fairly balanced from one species to the next.
    • Additional balancing, as needed
    • Custom projectile sprites for later tier swords
    • Mod collaboration/Starter Swords for mod races (pending author approvals, of course)
    • Description updates and fixes. Renaming of weapons, based on tiers.
      • I'm not sure which update did it but it seems weapons no longer display descriptions. IIRC they did show up when I first made this mod. However, because they currently do not, I had to add a bit of a description to the label of each tier of sword. Much of the "lore" this mod adds is done via the description so I hope they add it back in.
    • Animated weapons (supposing the game ever supports it)
      • Additionally, I would like to add an electric field to surround the later Glitch swords. That is why, unlike the others, it currently doesn't have a "glow" in later tiers.

Release Log

Version 2.4

Unpacked .pak file to fix problem caused by EK Unstable version 639 (Update 6)

Version 2.3
    • Packed assets into .pak file for optimal performance.
    • Updated included mod, Starter Sword Barrel, to also use .pak file.
    Version 2.2

Changed recipe implemenation. Now species don't learn recipes in tiers, along with vanilla craftables. Instead, each weapon teaches you the next blueprint upon pickup. This fixes the problem of players not being able to play with Starter Swords from other species.

Version 2.1

Added optional Starter Swords Barrel item for people that already trashed their starter swords or who want to play using starter sword from another species.

Version 2.0

Added resources for 10 full tiers for each race. That's over 60 new swords!

Version 1.2

Updated for Enraged Koala support

Version 1.1
    • Updated version for Beta v. Furious Koala.
    • Made all swords slightly more iron expensive to make them more fair vs. other weapons of same tier.
    • Removed some stuff from another mod which I had left in this file, having used the readme from that mod as a template.
    • Corrected a typo in avian enhanced sword.
    Version 1.0

First release. All new!

All Dantronix Mods
    Interesting Starter Swords
    [​IMG]

Invisible Clothes
    [​IMG]

Real Ninja Stuff
    [​IMG]

Modulars
    [​IMG]

Ridiculous Giant Effing Swords
    [​IMG]

Jesus H. Christ
    [​IMG]

Chicken Tosser
    [​IMG]

Breakable Ship Objects
    [​IMG]
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.

Recent Reviews

1. gamegunny123123
    gamegunny123123
    5/5,
    Version: 2.4
    The Mod really good if it update to work ver. Gald Griffaf
  2. jackster_227
    jackster_227
    5/5,
    Mod is awesome. However, I feel like the Apex were neglected somewhat. It's good but it doesn't really reflect their character as the other weapons do. Them being the most technologically advanced race I thought it was going to change into something very sci-fi like. Sort of like a lightsaber. Still, just my opinion. Great mod man!
  3. Mr Mishmish
    Mr Mishmish
    5/5,
    Awesome mod, I've seen others that have the same concept, but this is most fit for me. Chucklefish HAS to do something like this! Otherwise, there would be no point to have starter weapons. Heck, give them a pistol. They'll do fine.
  4. Spatial_Pioneer
    Spatial_Pioneer
    5/5,
    To be honest I'm not sure why this isn't part of Vanilla...
  5. SKyStriker101
    SKyStriker101
    5/5,
    I am planning to use this mod I a modpack I'd like to call "UniverseBound". May I use your mod? You have an excellent mod though.
    1. dantronix
      Author's Response
      Certainly. Thanks for checking. Thanks for the rating.
  6. Panthermilk
    Panthermilk
    5/5,
    This is exactly how I pictured this happening in my head as soon as I got my sword on my first character.
  7. JJgoneinsane
    JJgoneinsane
    5/5,
    I would SERIOUSLY GET THIS MOD!!! It makes those worthless starter swords into something of a BEAST. I have NEVER trashed my sword after getting this mod. Great Work Dantronix! Keep it up!
  8. Lordanar1337
    Lordanar1337
    5/5,
    Version: 2.2
    Download it right away. I love the idea! What is also really good is that you can use ANY of this swords no matter which race you are playing atm. I love the Human-Sword, exspecially the Tier 10 one, looks amazing! Fantastic!
  9. MacNCheeze210
    MacNCheeze210
    5/5,
    I always though that my wave sword could be upgraded into a god sword for sector X, but that did not happen...until now.
  10. Yrfirelnight
    Yrfirelnight
    5/5,
    I love this mod! It's added actual use to my starter sword that I throw out after 5 minutes.. Now I can use it into tier 10! -Best with harder bosses mod so it's not that op..