Version 2.4 / Enraged Koala
Now over 60 sword variations! 10 full tiers for each race!
This mod adds a bit of history, lore, and lifespan to the starting weapons for all races.
I really like the "broken" starter swords and on my first play-through I had hoped I would eventually get to upgrade them. I don't know if it was ever the plan but at this early stage in Starbound's development the game seems to consider these items to be replaceable junk. I wanted starter weapons to be personalized companions, as you venture through the game.
View Next Tier:View Next Tier:View Next Tier:View Next Tier:View Next Tier:View Next Tier:View Next Tier:View Next Tier:View Next Tier:View Next Tier:Full Tiers
Hardcore cross-species action: Glitch likes his Hylotl sword...
Just keep your starter weapon around and upgrade it when possible using the anvil and metal work station.
Remove any prior versions of the mod and extract the "Interesting Starter Swords" folder into the mods directory, under your game installation folder. Typically, this is C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\mods\.
So, the destination folder should be something like this:
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\mods\Interesting Starter Swords\
Warning: This mod does not alter any game files and lives entirely within the \mods folder. That being said, it does replace the starter weapon items for all vanilla races. My replacements are for art and description purposes only and do not alter the function or damage of these weapons. It is possible that other mods may also attempt to replace these items in which case one mod will win and one will lose. I suspect the winner will be the one which the game loads last.
Have you lost your starter sword, already? Want to play with a sword from another species instead?
Just as you copied the "Interesting Starter Swords" folder into the mods directory, above, also copy the "Starter Sword Barrel" folder into the mods directory. This will allow you to craft a Starter Sword Barrel from your default crafting menu. Press C.
Tested in Enraged Koala, in Windows only. Please let me know if you have issues.
I make mods for features that I would like to have but I truly appreciate the fact that you might enjoy them as well. Please feel free to review, rate, and make suggestions. Your feedback is much appreciated and, based on my available time, could easily influence the direction of my mods. Thank you!
- Recipe Personalization
- The swords are currently very well balanced, based on vanilla craftable weapons, but I would like to personalize the recipes as I get more time. For instance, one series of swords currently relies on diamonds while another relies on crystals. The recipes do not reflect these gems for either because of where and when these various ingredients become available in the game. I definitely want the recipes to reflect them but I also want the tiers to be fairly balanced from one species to the next.
- Additional balancing, as needed
- Custom projectile sprites for later tier swords
- Mod collaboration/Starter Swords for mod races (pending author approvals, of course)
- Description updates and fixes. Renaming of weapons, based on tiers.
- I'm not sure which update did it but it seems weapons no longer display descriptions. IIRC they did show up when I first made this mod. However, because they currently do not, I had to add a bit of a description to the label of each tier of sword. Much of the "lore" this mod adds is done via the description so I hope they add it back in.
- Animated weapons (supposing the game ever supports it)
- Additionally, I would like to add an electric field to surround the later Glitch swords. That is why, unlike the others, it currently doesn't have a "glow" in later tiers.
Unpacked .pak file to fix problem caused by EK Unstable version 639 (Update 6)
- Packed assets into .pak file for optimal performance.
- Updated included mod, Starter Sword Barrel, to also use .pak file.
Changed recipe implemenation. Now species don't learn recipes in tiers, along with vanilla craftables. Instead, each weapon teaches you the next blueprint upon pickup. This fixes the problem of players not being able to play with Starter Swords from other species.
Added optional Starter Swords Barrel item for people that already trashed their starter swords or who want to play using starter sword from another species.
Added resources for 10 full tiers for each race. That's over 60 new swords!
Updated for Enraged Koala support
- Updated version for Beta v. Furious Koala.
- Made all swords slightly more iron expensive to make them more fair vs. other weapons of same tier.
- Removed some stuff from another mod which I had left in this file, having used the readme from that mod as a template.
- Corrected a typo in avian enhanced sword.
First release. All new!
All Dantronix Mods
Interesting Starter Swords
Real Ninja Stuff
Ridiculous Giant Effing Swords
Jesus H. Christ
Breakable Ship Objects
- Mod Pack Permissions:
- Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
- Mod Assets Permissions:
- Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.
Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.Dismiss Notice
Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
Outdated Interesting Starter Swords 2.4
Adds a bit of history, lore, and lifespan to your starting weapons