This mod will (hopefully) give you a more immersive experience by exploring Shane's character arc. You can enjoy this whether or not you want to romance him!
I made new events and tweaked the vanilla ones to make a deeper, more cohesive narrative:
- The 4-heart event is now dependent on the 2-heart event. This way, they'll be sure to play in chronological order.
- Tweaks to the 7-heart event for a deeper look at Jas and Shane's relationship, and how his behavior affected it. You'll get an actual conversation between the two where Shane addresses their problems.
- A new 8-heart event in year 3 that'll add to endgame content and show you the progress that Shane's made at improving his life.
- The 10-heart event was moved to happen at 8 hearts if you're dating him. The event itself seemed like something that would happen when you start dating (e.g. at 8 hearts), and not when you're already in an established relationship. I also changed a tiny bit of the dialogue to reflect his sobriety.
- A new 10-heart event that reflects that you're in an established relationship. Kinda cheesy, but we all know that Shane's a cornball!
And a few little surprises here and there!
Shane has 34 used lines in the vanilla game. I kept most of those and wrote 340 more! Here are their special features:
- You'll see each line of dialogue once a month at most. There are also a bunch of lines that you'll only see once a year because they're set to play at specific heart levels, seasons, and days of the month. This will make things more interesting and less repetitive!
- Questions. Shane originally has no questions in his dialogue, so I added at least one question for each even-numbered heart level.
Honestly, this is the best option
- He gives you gifts. Like buddies (and sometimes, acquaintances) do!
- Shane talks about events and festivals. I always found it weird how no one ever talks about upcoming events, so I fixed that! Shane will now talk about birthdays and festivals on the day before and on the day of. What he'll say about them will depend on his heart level, of course.
The day before the Luau at 8 hearts
- Shane talks about his family and friends. As his arc progresses, his attitude will change not just towards you, but towards other people as well! Some of the dialogue will touch on his improving relationships with Jas, Marnie, Emily, Gus, and Sam.
- You can talk to him at work! Instead of ignoring you all the time, Shane's dialogue at work will change depending on his heart level.
Here's a rundown of his attitude at each even-numbered heart level:
- 0 Hearts: He just wants to be left alone, and he doesn't care how big a jerk he has to be to get you to go away.
- 2 Hearts: He wants to be left alone, but it turns out you're pretty cool and now he feels guilty for being a jerk. (He's still a jerk, though.)
- 4 Hearts: He's absolutely miserable, but you're a pal.
- 6 Hearts: He's miserable, but he's trying to get better.
- 8 Hearts: He refuses to shut up about Jas and the chickens. He's well on his way towards getting better.
- 10 Hearts: He's a bit goofier around you and speaks more warmly. He's in a good place, but he still has bad days.
A note on drinking: Shane stops drinking after his 6-heart event. This might bother some people, but I thought about this a lot and spent a lot of time researching alcohol dependency and addiction, and I found that most recovering addicts need to avoid alcohol completely for the rest of their lives. I can't interpret his spending 6 hours a day drinking as anything other than addiction, so I chose to write it that way. I did my best to depict this accurately and respectfully by showing that it isn't easy for him to quit and that he goes to therapy regularly to support his sober lifestyle. While he does stop drinking, you can definitely see him struggle with it.
It's jarring when he's at 0 hearts and you give him a loved gift. He'll be all excited and then immediately tell you to scram. This part of the mod fixes that by changing the way he reacts to gifts depending on his heart level (unfortunately, his facial expressions are hardcoded, and I can't change them).
There's also special heart-dependent birthday dialogue:
Dialogue after giving him a disliked gift
He'll also get upset if you give him alcohol when he's in recovery:
And finally, he'll like receiving the chicken statue artifact!
In the vanilla game, Shane talks about making lifestyle changes and seeing a therapist, but we don't see any changed behavior. Depending on your heart level, this mod will make the following changes:
- Shane spends time with Jas. He'll take a day off on her birthday and spend his Sundays hanging out with her because she deserves that from her godfather.
Getting ice cream on Jas's birthday
He'll still go to the saloon most nights to hang out with Emily and Gus, but just imagine that he's drinking sparkling water like he said he does.
- He gets an annual medical exam from Harvey. Shane gets his act together and schedules a yearly check-up. This way, it won't take a life-threatening case of alcohol poisoning him to see a doctor.
- He goes to weekly therapy sessions in Zuzu City. You'll see him actually put in the work to recover from his depression and alcohol addiction.
You can choose which features you want to use. Set value to "true" to enable, "false" to disable.
EventChanges: Adds new heart events and modify existing ones.
GiftTastes: Changes his reactions to gifts depending on his heart level. This will also make alcoholic drinks hated after seeing the six-heart events.
BirthdayDialogue: Changes his reactions to gifts on his birthday.
ScheduleChanges: Changes his schedule depending on his heart level.
DailyDialogue: Adds 350+ lines of dialogue!
This mod is for SDV 1.3.32 and SMAPI 2.8.2. Given how large its scope is, testing it by myself was really challenging. I'd really appreciate bug reports, questions, and suggestions, so hit me up on tumblr!
- Clean version. A version without swear words, for people who don't feel comfortable with that.
- More events. I really want to explore his possible interactions with the other villagers, and I already have some ideas cooking. This isn't a priority because I want to work on other characters for now.
- Marriage dialogue. This is in progress!
Check out my other mods:
Diverse SDV Seasonal Portraits (collaboration, I'm just a contributor)
- Mod Pack Permissions:
- Do not include this mod in compilations.
- Mod Assets Permissions:
- Do not alter or redistribute the assets included in this mod.
Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.Dismiss Notice
Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
Immersive Characters - Shane 2.1.0
Gives you 550+ lines of dialogue, new heart events, schedule, and gift tastes.