1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Hull Plating Blocks & More - Revived 37.00

It's back! Tilesets, tile modifiers, parts, furniture, and tools to create custom works.

1. bk3k
    It's back! Tilesets, material modifiers, ship parts, ship furniture, storage lockers, and tools to create custom works.
    You can find the original megamod (by simulatoralive) here -
    http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/hull-plating-blocks-more.2998/
    The description is out of date though, but it can give you a good idea. Keep in mind this mod hasn't been officially updated since Dec 15, 2015. It has been necessary to change a lot in the course of reviving this, as Starbound has changed considerably since then.

This mod adds a ton of blocks, block mods (with tools to install them into blocks), and objects with a primary focus on ship parts. But I guarantee custom ship builder or not, you'll find things you can use here to build better custom houses, structures, etc. You won't quickly run out of things to try out.

Currently contains
    • 508 objects
    • 339 solid material tiles
    • 40 platforms
    • 83 material modifiers (can be added to tiles via trim tools)
    The More Craftable Blocks mod is integrated into this. The original is outdated.

Will there be more to come? Certainly. I probably should build a big master list of plans. Besides myself, some other modders have expressed interest in adding things too.

Certainly this description is inadequate(the original description link is better). I'll have to fix it too eventually - including new screen shots (the old images are JPG and the they don't translate well to Steam, but are less distorted if you click on the pictures) - yet I strongly suggest giving this mod a go. If you don't like it, I'll provide a full refund!

Clarification
    Many people seem to be under the impression this mod will change your ship. It will not! You'd need a mod like BYOS, Custom Capsule, Mad Tulip, etc. There is also BYOS build into FU and the thrusters/boosters from this mod will function like FU BYOS parts. If you have one of these other mods, then THIS mod can give you far more parts to work with. If not, well many of the things are useful even without wanting to build your own ship.

Steam Workshop version can be found here.

I'm cheaply linking these from the old mod for now.

The above is a block-based gold ship made with this mod.
    [​IMG]

Racial Ship Blocks
    [​IMG]
    From left to right, the above blocks are Apex, Avian, Floran (including Greenhouse Frame with Greenhouse Trim), Floran (Pink), Glitch, Human, Hylotl, Fish (old Hylotl ship). Novakid (Brass, including Brass Pipe), Novakid (Cream), Novakid (Cyan), Novakid (Green), Novakid (Red), Rusty (Alt Floran) and UFO (Dreadwing's Ship/Penguin).

Ore-Derived Blocks

[​IMG]
    From left to right, the above blocks are Carbon Fiber (coal for the stone), Plastic, Copper, Iron, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Steel, Titanium, Durasteel, Violium, Aegisalt, Rubium, Cerulium, Ferozium and Impervium..

Wacky Blocks

[​IMG]
    From left to right, the above blocks are Concrete, Cut Stone, Spring, Force Field, Monster, Core Fragment, Cardboard and Glass.

Some extra stone and crystal blocks

[​IMG]
    From left to right, the above blocks are Rusty Iron Stone, Uranium Stone, Plutonium Stone, Solarium Stone, Violium Crystal, Aegisalt Crystal, Rubium Crystal and Solarium Crystal.

Special Purpose Blocks

[​IMG]
    From left to right, the above blocks are Door Hatch Frame, Door Frame, Ship Engine Block, Dry Wall, Heat Sink, Leather, Cell Materia, Gelatin, Poison Gelatin, Healing Gelatin, Gelled Fuel, Video Screen Block, Chain Link Fence (Foreground) and Chain Link Fence (Background).

Money Blocks

[​IMG]
    From left to right: Pixel Block, 1K Voxel Block, 2K Voxel Block, 5K Voxel Block and 10K Voxel Block.
    These blocks are made from pixels, Voxels (Voxel Blocks only; from equal or lesser values) and Pixel Blocks (Voxel Blocks only). Pixel Block can be made anywhere, while the others require a Pixel Compressor.

These two show the Gemspark and Gemspark Trim blocks, which are blocks that glow much like neon signs (crafted by combining Glass Block, Diamond and varying numbers of the three colored flower petals)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    You can see a hint of colored light here and there in the above images, but all the colors mix to form white light so close together.

This one shows off the Macrocircuits

[​IMG]
    This one shows Brass Pipe, which is crafted from Novakid Brass Hull Plating
    [​IMG]
    This shows a small greenhouse made from blocks in this mod
    [​IMG]
    This shows the new Ship Door Frame blocks with a human ship door. The Ship Hatch Frame blocks are simply rotated 90 degrees, appearance-wise.
    [​IMG]

This one shows the material modifiers that can be placed on any block, using the various decorative tools in this mod
    [​IMG]
    Please note that these are not objects. They sit in the same layer as ore and can be used to decorate literally any non-falling, non-platform block! The tools used to place these can be crafted as though a weapon. Between the choice of block and modifier, some very complex possibilities can be constructed.

This shows off the effects of the Spray Paint Tool
    [​IMG]

This one shows the matching furniture for the racial blocks, above. Some is vanilla and some is new
    [​IMG]

This one shows the matching furniture for the ore-derived blocks, above
    [​IMG]

This one shows the matching furniture for the wacky blocks, above
    [​IMG]

Shows the matching ship engines for the racial blocks, above (obtained as part of a Ship In A Box)
    [​IMG]

These two show the matching ship engines for the ore-derived blocks (obtained as part of a Ship In A Box)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one shows off the majority of the new Storage Locker variants:
    [​IMG]

The only real problem needing fixed still is the added engines don't change animation in FTL and their objects will need completely reworked to fix it. I already fixed the boosters in this way. I didn't even really want to release the mod with this problem - minor as it is - but people are playing SB 1.3 now so I might as well not delay further.

There is definitely things to fill in, like hatch variations for all the doors. And lots of things in consideration of the vanilla content we've gotten since. Recipe adjustments may come(but a considerable amount of that has already occurred).

Again remember this was a beta mod, so some things don't match perfectly with how Starbound works now. Things will be better ironed out in time. Not to say you can't offer some suggestions in the discussion tab(not reviews). I welcome feedback. No guarantee I'll agree, but even if I don't you might get me thinking.

The question usually comes up - "is this compatible with <insert mod here>?" The answer should be yes. I'll make(and already have made) every effort to keep it working good with other mods. Where that isn't the case(if I missed something), please provide your starbound.log file in the discussion tab. Please use both code and spoiler tags to keep the log readable, and the thread neat/orderly for all to read. I'll see what can be done to fix this.

Blocks from the original have ended up in numerous other mods, so you may have seen a few already. That's actually completely acceptable because the original(and this version) are open permissions.

If you're incorporating these blocks, please be mindful to keep it compatible with this. That means don't re-path the assets, or if you do then also rename and use a different "materialId" to avoid conflict. I've changed things to compensate for the mods I've found where this is an issue. That's more of a "reviving a dead mod" luxury that I won't have after launch because then I'm messing with an existing user base. If you requisition assets from this mod, TEST your mod with this to make sure you aren't creating a problem.

http://starbounder.org/Modding:Materials:Mods - Please utilize this to avoid "materialId" conflicts. These prevent Starbound from loading at all, and make the mods totally incompatible. Moving materialIds will turn the existing blocks to dirt! Please avoid the problem in the first place.

And a minor request - use PNGGauntlet on your PNG assets. Unlike some similar programs, this won't change a single pixel of your image, but you get a smaller file size, thus less in-game slowdown from loading your assets. From what I understand, color-indexed pallet images(one of the many tricks PNGGauntlet uses) also requires less RAM. No downside.

The initial run can be done by dragging your mod folder over the window. It will find all the images in all sub-folders. Then click optimize. If you edit the image afterwards, you'll need to re-optimize that image.

They have a few assets from the original HPB+ mod but re-pathed and with the materialId unchanged. That left me the sole option of patching these things in their mod to a new materialId range(within the reserved range for this mod). So existing users of that mod may have a few platforms turn to dirt. That's unavoidable, sorry for the inconvenience. Shouldn't be a problem moving forward. The mods should work together.

Note that their mod is workshop only, so you'll need to use the workshop version of this mod for both to work together - because of a load order issue between workshop and manually installed mods.

This mod is Tabula Rasa enabled, including a custom button to find this all mod's assets in the Tabula Rasa. This isn't a required mod though.

Some say the mod is broken, but that isn't so. Just a little outdated and easily addressed. It expects a few vanilla images at a certain path, and that path moved in vanilla. So I just re-added those images where it expects them... mod fixed!

Original mod by simulatoralive found at
    http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/hull-plating-blocks-more.2998/

Check out his current project here - https://plus.google.com/collection/Ar-MaB
    and his current mod here http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/more-planets.4679/

As is only decent, I should forward the credits given on the original page
    capt_slowpoke - More Craftable Blocks
    This section may grow as others contribute.

Please ask questions or report problems in the discussion tab. That goes for any mod actually. I'll be glad to help you there. Suggestions would also be better placed there.
    The reviews are for rating the mod itself so that other Starbound players might know if the mod is worth their time or not.
    The reviews/ratings don't actually affect me, but please be considerate of your fellow Starbound players by only posting reviews that serve this purpose. Thank you.
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.

Recent Reviews

1. Morden
    Morden
    5/5,
    Version: 36.50
    I use Gemspark blocks in just about everything I build these days. (Mostly diamond, but other types for stripes and whatnot so the walls aren't completely boring.) Don't know what I would do without them. Who needs lights when your walls glow?
  2. Archilyte
    Archilyte
    4/5,
    This mod is very helpful for ship building! But it crashes with FU in starbound 1.4.....
  3. SkyeTheTerribleBeastie
    SkyeTheTerribleBeastie
    5/5,
    I love it!
    However, after learning a few of the recipes, my Workbench is rather full.
  4. Kyttynjirr
    Kyttynjirr
    5/5,
    Thank you so much for this mod! I'm always on the lookout for more building materials, etc., and I truly appreciate you putting in the time and effort to share this with us! Really great materials, excellent for people like me who are always building something (or trying to, anyway).
  5. qualiyah
    qualiyah
    5/5,
    So glad to see this mod updated! It's really great for builders.
  6. Quinch
    Quinch
    5/5,
    I downloaded this mod, oh, a while back during content trawling, but took a while to stumble onto the mail order catalogue. And daaaaaaaang, does it add stuff and then some. By all means it's a builder's essential.
  7. Orpheus of Ciphrus
    Orpheus of Ciphrus
    5/5,
    Version: 36.0
    Hey, one of the members of Starbound Serenity- thanks for updating this mod! It's a brilliant mod, and it'll help us build much better things and create entirely new things for us to roam around in!
  8. GoldenstarArtist
    GoldenstarArtist
    5/5,
    The Community at StarboundSerenity Thanks you for bringing back such a huge component of the building community! We look forward to having a much larger block pallet to work with our creations thanks to you! Keep up the great work!
  9. AuroraSnowfall
    AuroraSnowfall
    3/5,
    needs workshop version and more detailed overview
    1. bk3k
      Author's Response
      Something tells me you didn't read the description too well, or check the workshop...