1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated Floran Fly Trap - New Crop 1.2

Adds a Floran Fly Trap farmable crop used as a steady food source!

1. Ulithium_Dragon
    ===========
    Floran Fly Trap
    ===========

[URGENT - READ NOW]: This mod WILL NOT work with the Upbeat Giraffe update, nor do I have the time to fix it right now!

[WARNING]: Please update to the latest version! It seems that I inadvertently broke new characters in the original release! See changelog for details!

This is my idea of what a Floran Fly Trap would look like. It's based loosely off of the real-life Venus Flytraps that attract flies with a syrup, then snap their "jaws" closed and eat them. They drop "steaks" that can be cooked for the same food-filling amount as a normal "Cooked Alien Meat". I made this because I never really liked "hunger" systems in creative exploration games like this, and didn't want to have to be constantly hunting for food or managing a farm! n.nU

[​IMG]
    *The animation is much smoother and loops better in-game. This was the best take I got out of like, 20 with a .gif recorder I used!

Seed: [​IMG]
    Raw Steak: [​IMG]
    Cooked Steak:[​IMG]

---------------
    Installation:
    ---------------
    Unzip and place the folder "Fly Trap Plant" into your Starbound/mods directory.

---------------
    How to Get:
    ---------------
    For now, you can craft a single seed at any normal crafting table for:

-5 Raw Alien Meat
    -2 Leather
    -20 Plant Fibre

Since this was intended as an any-tier quick food source, this may seem a bit expensive, but the plant grows very quickly, produces a modest food amount (and the "meat" is comparable to Cooked Alien Meat), and multiplies rapidly.

--------------
    Animation:
    --------------
    I tried a lot of different things to try and get the crop to play the animation I made for it. I just don't think that the vanilla game supports something like this yet, so I had to settle for it "using" a random animation frame as each plant's final form. I added an occasional "furniture type" version that drops off the fly trap that plays the animation correctly. Since it's not a crop, you can place it anywhere!

-----------------
    Future Plans:
    -----------------
    I don't really plan on adding more to this unless something breaks or I find out how to animate the crop version. I did want to try and make the "raw" version of the fly trap meat edible by Florans and poisonous to anyone else, like a lot of racial foods, but I couldn't figure out what javascript file controls this (or it may not have been properly implemented yet, I don't really know).

-----------------
    Permissions:
    -----------------
    Please don't use these assets without my permission. I'm almost certainly going to give you permission to use it in your mods/modpacks, I'd just like you to send me a PM to ask permission first! I have my notification settings set up so that I get email notifications for PM's, so even if I'm not directly active on the forums, I'd still see it and come chat with ya! :]
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.

Images

1. 2014-07-22_00001.jpg

Recent Updates

1. Fixed Starter Locker Overwrite Bug

Recent Reviews

1. pcawesomeness1
    pcawesomeness1
    1/5,
    Version: 1.2
    it is horrid just update it and get rid of the blood
  2. tofudog
    tofudog
    4/5,
    Hi Dragon,
    did you see "little shop of horrors?". It has Audrey the alien killer plant, who at one time gets to sing: "I'm a mean green mama from outer space...". Those were the days, my friend, those were the days.
    My one complaint is: Couldn't you have stuck with alien meat? For one it already is in the game (with a very nice sprite) and for two, because it already is in there other mods use it as a source material (specifically madtulip), which would make your mod that much more useful, if you did.
    1. Ulithium_Dragon
      Author's Response
      Well, as I mentioned in the description I made this as an easy and plentiful food source because I dislike games with hunger systems. As such, the Fly Trap Meat provides more... fulfilment I guess than normal Alien meat. I may be motivated to make an optional patch at a later time, but I no longer find Starbound "fun" even with mods, and am waiting for the game to update. In addition, (ALL) mods will subsequently break when the game updates, so making mods until then just seems frivolous to me! n.nU
  3. Vuldreg
    Vuldreg
    5/5,
    although the design it self can use a bit of work this will be very useful for some people, I my self have always had trouble getting started with a proper food supply when growing crops and this will be useful till i get a good supply of the other crops.
    1. Ulithium_Dragon
      Author's Response
      Thanks! This was my first attempt at an animated sprite for Starbound, so it could be a bit more polished. Since everything can have a script attached one the update comes out, hopefully I can finally animate the crop, too!
  4. Juice Box
    Juice Box
    4/5,
    Juice Box loves it, but cooked meat looks really similar to normal meat and the colors on the plant look just a tad bit out of place, would 4.5 if JB could.
    1. Ulithium_Dragon
      Author's Response
      Yeah the plants themselves look quite a bit out of place without their animation. Did you try the "furniture" version that actually animates? Did you think that looked less "out of place"? And yes, I know the meat change was a bit subtle - I may change it later, I don't know.