1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Faster Start 1.0

For those who use mods that add new worlds.

1. bk3k
    This makes Starbound less picky about your starting system so that it finds a starting planet faster.

Available on Steam Workshop.

Explanation
    By default Starbound looks for a system that has a small "garden" (aka lush) planet, a "desert" planet, and a "forest" planet. You'll of course start on the "garden" planet of course.

Here's the problem. You start using mods that add more planet types, and the mathematical chance any given planet is a "garden", "desert", or "forest" decrease. The odds that any particular system contains all 3 (and the "garden" needs to be small) decrease dramatically. Starbound keeps looking and looking for a matching system. Generating and rejecting system after system. So the more planet types you add, the time it takes to find an appropriate system goes up A LOT. People may even begin to think Starbound - or a particular mod - are broken. That isn't the case... it is just taking a really long time!

And that's where this mod comes in. It removes the requirement to have the "desert" and "forest" worlds in the starting system, so effectively the time to find a starting planet decreases significantly.

Mods (that I can think of) which add planets
    • Frackin Universe
    • Elemental Correstialism
    • Extended Story
    • United Systems Expansion - Planets Addon
    • Magnetic Planets
    • Radioactive Planets
    • Crystal Planets
    • Better Barren - Elysium Worlds
    • Citybound
    I'm sure I forgot something. I think some race mods add new planets too. I can add them to that handy list if you mention them.

If you have TrueSpace
    You don't need this, because TrueSpace already does this (among other things). It won't hurt anything to have both, but it won't DO anything either. I put this mod out there for people who don't want to install a complete universe generation overhaul just so new characters can get to playing faster.

Compatibility
    "Is it compatible with <pick a mod>?"
    Yes.

Please ask questions or report problems in the discussion tab. That goes for any mod actually. I'll be glad to help you there. Suggestions would also be better placed there.
    The reviews are for rating the mod itself so that other Starbound players might know if the mod is worth their time or not.
    The reviews/ratings don't actually affect me, but please be considerate of your fellow Starbound players by only posting reviews that serve this purpose. Thank you.
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.
    soldierfast90 likes this.