1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated EggstraClucks 1.1.0

Hatch Chickens from Eggs, and Breed Livestock

1. tynaut
    eggstra2.png
    eggstra1.png
    Well the answer is here: It's the EGG!

Eggstra Clucks:
    If you enjoy the farm life, why stop at growing crops? Grow livestock as well! With Eggstra Clucks you can hatch chickens from eggs, and mate livestock to produce offspring. Not only do livestock reproduce, but they add additional collectible resources, like milk and eggs.

Chickens:
    [​IMG]Place an egg into the Egg Incubator
    [​IMG]Eggs will hatch into baby Chicks
    [​IMG]Chicks will grow up to be Chickens
    [​IMG]Chickens eat seeds and get happy
    [​IMG]A happy Chicken lays an egg
    [​IMG]Place an egg into the Egg Incubator***

***Optionally, eggs make tasty meals

Livestock:
    Livestock is created using captured monsters. A captured monster following you, will not have the same functionality as a tamed monster:
    [​IMG] Starting with a capture pod
    [​IMG] Place capture pod in taming crate
    [​IMG] Once the monster is tamed, it will hop out of the crate
    [​IMG] Give tamed monsters animal feed, to keep them happy
    [​IMG] Tamed monsters can be male OR female. You will need a consenting couple to mate!
    [​IMG] Happy tamed monsters produce resources, and will reproduce
    [​IMG] Pregnant tamed monsters need extra care, and will give birth to baby monsters
    [​IMG] Baby monsters will grow up as tamed monsters
    [​IMG] Tamed monsters will follow you for a short time if given treats
    [​IMG] Tamed monsters can be converted back to captured monster with a capture pod

Additions:
    [​IMG] Unique Crafting table (created from wooden crafting table)
    [​IMG] Egg Incubator, to hatch eggs
    [​IMG] Chicken Nest, for Chickens to lay eggs
    [​IMG] Feed Bin, for livestock to eat from
    [​IMG] Hand Mill, used for making animal feed
    [​IMG] Chicken Cage, place it on the ground to cage the next chicken that walks by
    [​IMG] Straw, added to wheat drop pool
    [​IMG] Taming crate for converting captured monsters to livestock
    [​IMG] Starter Quests** to get your first egg*** and chicken farm set up
    [​IMG] Beginners Codex for more instructions
    [​IMG] New "monster": baby chick
    [​IMG] A dozen or so new egg cooking recipes
    [​IMG] Cows, milking, animals with fur coats for shearing.

**If you don't want to start a new character, but want to trigger the questline, you can move the /Starbound/universe/playerQuests.db to a new location. This resets ALL quests so be sure to save a backup if you don't want to break things! Warning, do this at your own risk. However, you could move the file back once you've gotten the starter egg.
    ***Your first egg will hatch significantly faster than regular eggs.

What this mod doesn't add:
    There is no easy mode in this mod. All growth takes a significant amount of time. Standing around watching your incubator will not make it hatch faster. The first "Primed Egg" from the starter quest takes ~20 minutes to hatch, this is an effort so that hopefully you don't delete the mod impatiently before the first egg even hatches. The rest of them will take much longer.

Animal Feed Guide:
    With this mod you can craft animal feed, which is more efficient than feeding seeds directly to your chickens. To provide a healthy diet and aid in digestion animal feed requires three ingredients:
    [​IMG] Ground seed, crafted with the hand mill from seeds, wheat, and corn
    [​IMG] Grit, crafted with the hand mill from cobblestone or gravel
    [​IMG] Plant fibre, plentiful in abundance or crafted from straw in the hand mill
    To get an approximation of how much you will need to feed your livestock, you will need ~2 wheat crops to feed every 1 animal. Assuming you convert everything for feed from the wheat, and replant 1 seed per plant each time.

Merchants & Selling Produce:

[​IMG] Craft a collection bin to sell off agricultural items
    [​IMG] Place caged chickens inside the bin for profit
    [​IMG] Eggs and crops can be bundled and also sold in the bin
    [​IMG] A merchant will soon arrive on the planet after adding to a bin
    [​IMG] The merchant will replace goods with pixel, and sells eggs and cows

Converting Animals to Meat:

[​IMG] Make the Beef Barn from the crafting table, and place object
    [​IMG] Interacting with the barn will place an indicator over a selected animal to butcher
    [​IMG] Continue interacting to cancel/change selection of animals
    [​IMG] After a few seconds, a selected animal will move toward barn and turn into meat.
    [​IMG] Animals may need to be coaxed closer to the barn before they are within range

Pheromones & Creature Details:
    Tamed monsters have a basic system of pheromones for detailed analysis:
    [​IMG] Pheromones will help identify things like gender, hunger, pregnancy etc
    [​IMG] Special equipment needs to be used to see pheromones
    [​IMG] More Pheromones to come in the future
    [​IMG] Age and hunger indicators also appear above an animal after it has been milked or sheared

Installation:
    [​IMG] Delete previous version of Eggtra Clucks
    [​IMG] Download file and unzip
    [​IMG] Place eggstraclucks.modpak into the /Starbound/mods folder (no subfolders!)
    [​IMG] Play!

Notes:
    This mod is still a work in progress. Meaning there are several intended features that are still not yet implemented, as well as a full quest/story line to go with it. Hopefully, there are enough features to keep you busy until more is ready. Also, it is very likely there could be huge balance shifts between releases of this mod. The intention is to provide an alternate path to mining for ore to convert to pixels, or killing monsters for pixels, but certainly not one that is too easy to generate wealth. If there are any features you feel are unbalanced, too strong or too weak, please leave some feedback in the discussion and I'm certainly up to getting data and advice.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]WARNING. If you are prone to dying in fits of joy over the sight of baby chicks, this mod is not recommended for you.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

:DSpecial thanks to AndrewSeven for asking for an egg laying Chicken
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.

Images

1. eggstra.png
    2. eggstra4.png
    3. eggstra5.png

Recent Updates

1. Old Age
  2. Nice to meat you, but I'm a vegetarian
  3. Errors!

Recent Reviews

1. Li_Celly
    Li_Celly
    4/5,
    Version: 1.1.0
    I wish you can update this to UG. That would be awesome. :)
  2. NoxusAvenger
    NoxusAvenger
    5/5,
    Pls update its great but i cant use it in the new starbound version
  3. ravenvalentine
    ravenvalentine
    5/5,
    i love the idea i love the dynamics of things i am rating this as i am downloading it even before i use it cuz i love mods that adds mechanics to the game perfect for roleplaying and star bound is a world rich with content to add mechanics to~ one thing i need to ask..... how do you get the egg ? o.0
  4. Albussystems
    Albussystems
    5/5,
    So many new things, very nicely done! Everything seems to work nicely!
    (I got 1 problem\bug: everything works as suggested, but the chicken nests breed the eggs inside them too,same as an icubator. Is that supposed to be that way?)

Thx for this awesome addition to the farmlife^^
  5. Dragonflyspectrum
    Dragonflyspectrum
    5/5,
    How long should it take for chicks to grow up?
  6. soul_eater
    soul_eater
    5/5,
    but where did the egg come from?
  7. Slim Jim Jimmy Bob Jone
    Slim Jim Jimmy Bob Jone
    5/5,
    I really love the mod, but I wanna know for the quest where you need to get the third diary is that not implemented and if it is how do you find it?
  8. Armed Mosquito
    Armed Mosquito
    5/5,
    This is such a great mod, so much new .lua functions and mechanics I love these kind because they are 100% brand new to the game! This kinda stuff would be so fun in the actual game, keep up your amazing code!
  9. sithlordreven1994
    sithlordreven1994
    5/5,
    awesome
  10. EZKatnipz
    EZKatnipz
    5/5,
    This mod is amazing. I use to play shepard's crossing on the PS2 a long time ago and i really enjoyed that game. This mod brings a really good addition to farming to starbound, and it would be amazing if this was added to the base game