Note: An update is in the works for the latest version of Starbound, including bug fixes, a new mixing mechanic and the ability to dye different parts of an item independently.
This mod adds the Dye Station (formerly Dyeing Bucket) to the game which can be used to change the color of most items.
Resetting the color is supported for all items.
- Over 450 armor, clothing and back items (all colors supported)
- Over 250 melee weapons (all colors supported)
- Over 250 placeable objects (8 colors supported)
- Over 100 block materials
- Remove any previous installations of the dyeing bucket mod by deleting or moving the DyeingBucket folder from your mods folder.
- Extract and move the DyeMod folder into your mods folder
- (Optional) Extact and move the DyeModExtras folder into your mods folder to get some extra colors.
- Restart the game.
Dyeing an item:
If you have multiple of the same item type in your inventory there is a risk that it will dye the wrong item. To prevent this, only have one stack of the item you want to dye in your inventory.
- Craft the Dye Station on any crafting table for 10 iron ingots or print it from the 3D printer for 200 pixels.
- Place the Dye Station somewhere.
- Put the item you would like to dye in your active hand.
- Interact with the Dye Station.
Making more dye:
Additional dyes are craftable on any crafting table.
Black dye requires coal and white dye requires bone.
The other dyes are made by mixing two different dyes.
Placeable object support:
- Placeable objects will not look dyed until they are placed (bug).
- Only some objects are supported.
- Only 8 different colors are supported (in addition to resetting).
These rules apply if:
- You visit a server that does not have this mod installed.
- You give or show a dyed item to someone who does not have this mod installed.
- You later uninstall the mod.
Once the items are dyed they do not depend on the mod.
- The dye station itself and the extra dyes will stop working and may disappear or turn into default items.
- Dyed wearable items and weapons will keep their colors. They work perfectly anywhere and will be visible to everyone.
- Dyed placeable objects will keep their colors until they have been both placed and broken again. Then they will revert to the default color. Until then they work perfectly anywhere and will be visible to everyone.
You can safely dye items in single player and then show or give any of them to people who do not have the mod.
Spotlight and installation video by accionoctem:
Vanilla Compatible Server Edition:
This special edition of the Dye Mod should be installed on a server. It makes the Glitch Medieval Bucket object work like a simple Dye Station!
This server mod is completely compatible with vanilla clients. Give the people on your server a fun and purely cosmetic perk without having them install anything!
It also fixes objects so they do not lose their colors when broken.
Mod support and permissions:
I allow anyone to extend this mod to support additional items or colors as long as this mod must still be installed for the dyeing to work.
If you want help or permission to do something else, please contact me.
Mods that are known to have dye mod support:
When using mods there is always a risk of problems. To be safe, back up your save files regularly. I will attempt to help if there are issues, but I will not be held responsible.
Please use the discussion thread or send me a private message if you are experiencing problems or have questions.
- Mod Pack Permissions:
- You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
- Mod Assets Permissions:
- You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.
Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.Dismiss Notice
Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
Outdated Dye Mod 2.1 (Enraged Koala)
Change the color of almost anything! (Previously Dyeing Bucket)