1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Dungeon Director's Toolset 1.3.0

Spawn wiring-activated Monsters, Bosses, and NPCs!

1. RatixFarrence
    Dungeon Director's Toolkit

To install this mod, simply unzip the contents into the giraffe_storage\mod folder and start the game.

Show me your custom dungeon-crawls!

About Dungeon Director's Toolkit:

First of all, the most credit for this mod goes to the people behind the configurable Monster Spawner object on the Starbound team, for without it, this mod would not be possible, and for metadept for his work on the tile protection system, which ultimately motivated me to grind on this mod.

Q: So I got a few spawners in my inventory, how do I use them?
    A: Just take one out of your inventory/hotbar and place it where you want.

Q: Now how do I get this monster/NPC to spawn?
    A: Simply get a switch or a door or a motion sensor and wire it to the invisible spawner you just placed using the wire tool. Then activate the object that you attached the wire to.

Q: OK, I spawned my Monster/NPC, what's next?

A: The monsters/NPCs will no longer spawn from the spawner, yet the spawner still remains on whatever you placed it on. Use the wire tool to find the spawner and remove it with the matter manipulator or mining tool to retrieve it. Once taken back to the inventory, it can be used once again as if it were a brand new monster spawner. I plan to add different stock numbered spawns and infinite spawners when I get an opportunity.

If I knew advanced Lua, I could build an interface that could generate wired spawner objects of a certain type within that interface, without needing the apparatus, but that is just a pipe dream for me. If anyone thinks they can accomplish this, please contact me!

Please take note: This is primarily a Single Player mod, although it works in Multiplayer if the server and connected clients are all using the mod. If even one person doesnt have it, and an invisible spawner or any other objects in this mod are visible on-screen, it will crash the clients without the mod.

If you want to share your fully-monster/npc-populated dungeon with your friends, but do not want to give them access to the spawners, simply make a backup of this mod's folder, and in that backup, remove the player.config.patch file, and your friends will not have access to the spawners. This helps to provide balanced play and reduces temptation of cheating.

Updates Changelog:

8/28/2015 - 1.3.0
    New wired spawner crafting stations, bosses, friendly and enemy NPCS.
    If you have the old version of the mod, be sure to delete it before extracting it to the mods folder!

1.3.0 Changelog:
    Changed the name of the mod from Wired Monster Spawners+ to Dungeon Director's Toolset, homage to the upcoming Director's Mode planned by Tiyuri post-release.

Added and renamed the Enemy Apparatus, and split the spawns into 4 categories and four crafting Apparatus:
    [​IMG]
    • Enemy Monster Apparatus - Craft wired monster spawners that attack on sight of the player or NPC.
    • Boss Monster Apparatus - Craft wired boss monster spawners.
    • Neutral Monster Apparatus - Craft wired Neutral Monsters, that only attack back when harmed.
    • Friendly NPC Apparatus - Craft wired Friendly NPC with spawners (generated weapons/armor/race), for when you are building a town, or you need comrades-in-arms.
    • Enemy NPC Apparatus - Craft Enemy NPCs that attack players and friendly NPCs on sight, with generated armor/weapons/race. Also used to craft Enemy Turrets.
    Added a ton of new wired spawners including NPCs added in this update!
    Adding more monstertypes, and possibly more NPCs in the future!

5/16/2015 - Fixed a bug, due to me being too busy, at the time, to think about even adding the spawners to the blueprint patch after setting up the Enemy Apparatus.
    Also now included in the Enemy Apparatus, a great way to teach overconfident heroes a lesson, an Enemy Turret!. place one down and load it up like a regular defense turret and run away! (or just not care if you are in admin mode.)
    These things will strike fear in the hearts of those who accept your challenges! However, they ARE disarm-able, so don't put anything too powerful in it, or they just might take that gun for themselves and OP their way through that dungeon you worked so hard on.

5/5/2015 - Added the Enemy Apparatus, which can be crafted straight from the crafting menu, so that you can craft your spawners from there, nstead of the employer's station

5/1/2015 - Added non-aggressive monsters!
    Non-aggressive monsters will be labled with a NA before their name.

To-do list:
    Add the remaining monster spawners.

Abbreviating shortdescriptions for better view-ability.

Adding Icons so that spawners will be easier to find, and would give me a reason to further shorten the shortdescriptions.

Build a dungeon, for which reason I have built up this mod. :)

Work on an instancing object similar to what is found in the interface with S.A.I.L. to transport players to custom-created mission areas. (Unfortunately I'm going to need help with this one, as my Lua knowledge is near nil!)

Credits:
    Special thanks go to @Severedskullz and @Errors_4l for the help with the Lua boss, as I had to rewrite spawner.lua in order to get NPC spawners to work similar to monsterspawner.lua, and it was a massive undertaking. I was certainly back in school!

Thanks go also to @Mak_Stormwielder, Dan on Steam, and another helpful fellow who didn't want credit, but you know who you are! :)(Once I know who they are on CF forums, I'll credit them personally!)
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before including this mod in a compilation.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    You must get the author's consent before altering/redistributing any assets included in this mod.
    CalimariGod likes this.

Recent Reviews

1. RedsoneRelic
    RedsoneRelic
    3/5,
    Version: 1.3.0
    The Idea is nice, but When i place down the spawner, and go to my wire tool, there is no circle to wire to. Help!
  2. SirPwnAlot
    SirPwnAlot
    4/5,
    I've seen good things about it BUT when i created a new character i did not get the things at all or i don't know where to find them i tried spawning them in via admin but nothing showed up? little confused.
  3. keyzoth
    keyzoth
    4/5,
    A nice addition to the game when the boredom strikes, i love making a gladiator building, so i can see the strongest race in starbound or just having fun seeing them kill each other ::demoniclaughter::

But the boredom strikes again when i have to jump to the arena, killing the winner and replace their spawner to continue watching they fight each other again, sometimes it hurt when i accidentaly delete the wrong spawner

soo... could you please consider making a reuseable version of the spawner with/without cooldown soo the Boss fight with endless number of minion Scenario can Continue :))
    1. RatixFarrence
      Author's Response
      I've been thinking about this for almost a year now.

Once I have a way to add multi-stock/infinite wired spawners without blowing up the shortdescriptions trying to differentiate them in the apparatus from the other versions of the spawns of that particular level, I will add them in a heartbeat!

And that time is near, I might have custom icons clue in players what level and spawn method they are using, so I don't have to worry about adding more characters to the names of the items. There is a lot to think about!

When I get back home next week, I will most likely be working on them.

Thanks for the feedback!
  4. Pixelguru26
    Pixelguru26
    5/5,
    I am really excited to have this mod in my toolkit and I can't wait to see what I can get it to do. I have a suggestion, too: perhaps you could add a second set that is reuseable? Raid-style dungeons are otherwise impossible without building a world instance mod.
    1. RatixFarrence
      Author's Response
      I've got to look into the instancing system on this. For now it is open world, but I'm hoping in the future that will change!
  5. doctortee
    doctortee
    5/5,
    Version: 1.1.2
    Really nice mod. Now, you can spawn mobs, kill them with automatic turrets, and get the objects the had XD
    1. RatixFarrence
      Author's Response
      I'm hoping that people will try to build their own dungeons to let their friends try and set off monster traps and fend them off. More monsters coming as soon as I'm back from hiatus. Planning boss spawns as well. I assume there is a way to prevent bosses from spawning friendly NPCSs like in the missions. I'll be looking into finding and creating versions of them that do not spawn them, and incorporating those into the mod, if I am able.
  6. Dragagan
    Dragagan
    5/5,
    Version: 1.10
    This mod is the closest thing i've seen that allows you to add creatures to planets that have none. I give this five stars, because i've been waiting for a mod that allows you to add creatures to places that don't spawn them, or for spawning non-hostile things for a stable or spice up the monster roster, though you have to replace them every time you want to spawn another, i believe the idea is great, and i hope it gets expanded upon in the future.
    1. RatixFarrence
      Author's Response
      Thanks again for your input, I'll be sure to expand the monster types and work on different spawners.
  7. Dragagan
    Dragagan
    4/5,
    Version: 1.0.0
    This mod is the closest thing i've seen that allows you to add creatures to planets that have none. The reason this is four stars instead of five is the fact that there isn't any spawners for non-hostile creatures and that you have to replace them every time you want to spawn another. Though i'm not sure if you can control if the creatures are hostile or not. Though i do respect the idea; Create dungeons that have controlled monster types of a certain tier. Overall, great mod for those with a nack for creation of dungeons and other things that require lifeforms.
    1. RatixFarrence
      Author's Response
      I have all the non-aggressive monsters done. After a thorough field-testing session, I will release it soon.