1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Better Barren - Elysium Worlds 1.2

Makes those barren planets nicer for setting your home up in

1. Amber Talamasca
    Those barren planets are great to build a homebase on.. not bothered by pesky monsters, or riddled with pre-rendered trees.

If it weren't for the fact that the blocks are all dry and you need to replace the dry dirt with normal dirt if you want to garden, or plant trees
    There is no weather to water the plants for you, you better get real skilled with that watering can.
    There is constant wind sounds and the background looks.. well, rather barren.

This mod adds 3 "barren versions" of existing biomes, dubbed Elysium Worlds.

Garden, Snow and Midnight Elysium worlds are now scattered across the Gentle Stars. The new planets retain the weather pattern of their original cousins.

This mod will not changed planets that have already been generated, it will only work on newly discovered planets.

1.1 update notes:
    ----- Now plays nice with Frackin Universe -----
    My barren worlds no longer replace the old barren worlds. They are now a new type of Barren, dubbed "Elysium" worlds.
    There are three types of Elysium worlds around, all can be found around Gentle Stars.
    There are Elysium Garden, Snow and Midnight worlds.

Plans:
    * Craftable Critters. Lets see if we can fill our worlds with a bit more of custom made life. -update, this works in my dev version, but the critters are not persistent yet.
    * A volcanic/fiery type biome
    * Possible more biome types, if there is a demand for them.

F.A.Q.

Q: Does this work on servers?
    A: Yes it does, but it needs to be installed on the server. Client only is not enough. Seehttp://steamcommunity.com/app/211820/discussions/0/352788917750356151/ for how to get server side mods to work on dedicated servers for now.

Q: Will this work nice with mod so_and_so?
    A: It should, it adds its own set of assets that should not be messed with by other mods. If not, I'd love to hear about it, so I can see whats going on.

Q: I cannot find any Elysium worlds. Is the mod working?
    A: First, on the loading screen, check the gear to see if the mod is actually loaded.
    Secondly, you don't need a universe filled with worlds like this, so I made them intentionally sparse. Each world has a 3 persent chance of spawning, in gentle star systems ONLY. With the 3 world biomes that I've used, that means there is something of a 1 in 11 chance your Gentle Star will have one of the three.

Q: Do I need to wipe my universe file?
    A: No, but you do need to visit new starsystems. Preferrably systems outside of the view of what you explored previously (scroll the starmap up/downward or sideways untill you see only new stars), just so you are sure you are not watching previously generated systems.

Q: Will the Elysium worlds benefit from mod so and so?
    A: I've made new world types, and unless the modder specificly makes the mod to work with mine, the elysium worlds will not benefit from other world changing mods. Anything crafted or placable can of course be dropped unto the Elysium worlds, including stuff from other mods

Click here for the steam workshop version.
    Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.
    Elienai and mastercookie like this.

Recent Reviews

1. Megsoiluj
    Megsoiluj
    5/5,
    Version: 1.2
    Great stuff, it so perfect for a colony.
  2. LoreKeeper_Ronan
    LoreKeeper_Ronan
    5/5,
    Version: 1.2
    I love it, now I can finally differentiate and set a theme for my Science Lab Colonies, (Vanilla Barren) from my Protectorate Outpost Colonies! (Modded Barrens)
  3. Nunikid
    Nunikid
    5/5,
    Version: 1.1
    Its perfect! I always hated how the barren worlds where all dry without any weather and having to replace the dry sand with diry. It makes them perfect for building, thanks!
  4. varn1111
    varn1111
    5/5,
    Version: [Cheerful Giraffe]
    this is the PERFECT mod for people like me who wish to bulid a nice and secluded home among the stars!
    NICE JOB :D
    1. Amber Talamasca
  5. Sh4dowWalker96
    Sh4dowWalker96
    5/5,
    Version: [Cheerful Giraffe]
    Makes Barren planets optimal for building! I love it!
    1. Amber Talamasca
      Author's Response
      thank you! if you have any suggestions, please let me know! do keep in mind it has to remain a tabula rasa though, so no flavoring that a player couldn't add manually