1. Welcome to the official Starbound Mod repository, Guest! Not sure how to install your mods? Check out the installation guide or check out the modding help thread for more guides.
    Outdated Mods have been moved to their own category! If you update your mod please let a moderator know so we can move it back to the active section.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

1. RyuujinZERO
    IMPORTANT: This mod will only run on Enraged Koala build
    BUG REPORT?
    Please attach your starbound.log file, without it I cannot diagnose the problem.
    It can be found in program files/steam/steamapps/starbound/starbound.log - rename to end in .txt before attaching

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Avali Race Mod [​IMG]
    Providing the fluffiest space raptors since 2014
    Introduction [​IMG]
    To try summarise them with a single barrage of adjectives, it'd probably look something like this: "4-earred-diminutive-post-singularity-fluffy-nomadic-space-raptor-hunter-jerboa-bird-singers". So, instead I'll take a rather long approach.

The Avali, are nomadic pack hunters from an iceball world far outside the goldilocks zone of their local star. As such, they evolved with more of a focus on sound than eyesight, as such such have 4 very sensitive ears and, unsurprisingly a culture that values sound and music more than visual arts. Uplifted by another species (Albeit accidentally, their "benefactors" did try and wipe them out), they're now teetering on the brink of technological singularity, and and so display a paradoxical mixture of high-technology, and nomadic tribal culture.

So, if Avians are "Mayan Space Birds" or Hylotl are "Oriental Space Fish", then Avali are "Nomadic Space Raptors"

...they're still super fluffy though.

Thanks to the Gull of Doom for his excellent review :)

Content [​IMG]
    The mod is still in active development, and much remains to be done before it can be called feature-complete. However it already has a tonne of content and plenty more to come.

Custom character sprites: No humans with blue skin and nose ridges here. The Avali have completely original, digitigrade sprites.

Unique vanity system: Thanks to the fact standard gear is not compatible, the Avali have their own vanity system, which allows for some quite unique features, such as full-length bell cloaks, trailing scarves, or customisable arm-styles.
    Custom Weapons and Armour: As should be expected with any race mod worth it's salt, but that's not all!

Weapon upgrades: Customise your racial weapons using tokens found by exploring. In future patches expect to see a whole weapon upgrade tree
    Settlement Generation: Encounter Avali settlements and NPCs in the wilderness, trade with them to obtain access to Avali blueprints and racial crafting facilities even if your character is not themselves an Avali.

Unique settlement styles: Dozen of original props and materials help bring to life Avali style nomadic tent settlements.
    Block crafting stations: Accessible to Avali characters from the outset, or to non-Avali by finding a settlement; these facilities allow you to craft your own Avali props and structural materials to create your own themed housing and decorations.
    Full Dyemod Compatibility: Apply dyes to your props to change ont only colours, but patterns as well. A world of custiomisation awaits!

Unique food and flora:
    Very unique; including Starbounds only bio-luminescent plants.

Extensive and immersive lore: Although not in-game yet, there is literally an entire wiki of lore, and still growing. Examining and musing in depth upon the concepts, technology and culture of an alien species.​
    Features [​IMG]
    in addition to what you expect of starbound, there's a few gizmos that'll be unfamiliar to you; here's where to find them and what they're for.

Avali Crafting Stations
    There are three new crafting benches unique to the Avali. Avali characters can craft these from their ship's 3D Printer from the start for a modest sum of pixels. Non Avali players can also use these benches if they can obtain one; either by stealing one from an Avali settlement; or from a friendly Avali player.

[​IMG]

Nanoloom: Is used to bulk manfacture "soft" materials, this includes both Avali tent materials, as well as tent-specific props such as canopies and soft furnishings. it is also used to craft Avali racial clothing

Nanolathe: Is a bulk printer for manufacturing more technical goods and hardened materials; this covers non-tent materials, such as LED panels, electroncis covers or metalwork, as well as most Avali furniture. it is also used to manufacture Avali armour styles (Though it should be clarified these are vanity armours; actual Avali armour inserts are crafted at the anvil/metalworking forge like any other race)

Upgrade Bench: The upgrade bench is used to upgrade Avali racial weapons. it is NOT used to actually craft brand new weapons; you'll need to obtain those via more conventional means, such as an Avali merchant, or by crafting them on the anvil

[​IMG]

Weapon Upgrade Bench:
    The weapon bench is used exclusively to upgrade Avali racial weapons. To reitterate that, they are used to upgrade avali racial weapons. You cannot craft new weapons on a weapon bench, nor can you upgrade weapons belonging to other races.

To make an upgrade you will need to have a stock version of the weapon; for melee weapons you'll need to craft one. For ranged weapons you'll need to find an Avali gun merchant and purchase one. You will also need a 'data chit', these represent dumps of data from the Oracle system. These chits can presently be stolen from Avali settlements, but in the long term you will be able to obtain them by exploring worlds for random Avali-related random encounters.

[​IMG]

By analyzing the data you can find ways to modify your equipment in a new and innovative way; at present only melee weapons can recieve upgrades (fire enchantment), and assault rifles (bouncing or explosive ammo), but in due time there will be a full upgrade tree allowing not only customisation, but also ugrades to higher tiers.

[​IMG]

Armour Inserts and Vanity Clothing
    Avali clothing is divided into two types. Armour inserts and Vanity gear.

Armour inserts replace tier armour for the Avali and are crafted at the anvil. Unlike other races tier armour, armour inserts have no appearance of their own, they are essentially invisible.

Vanity gear is crafted at the nanolathe and nanoloom. They have 'realistic' recipes and some may require you to explore a bit to find the pieces. As you might expect, vanity gear has no attributes of it's own and is instead reinforced using armour inserts.

Additionally, Avali vanity gear slots slightly differently to regular races gear. Notably, the chest clothing or cuirass is merged into the "leg" slot (now the outfit slot), so items in this slot affect your characters basic outfit. The "chest" slot then becomes the "accessory" slot, in this slot goes clothing worn over the arms; this typically means you can select your own sleeves, but also includes new classes of gear such as full-length bell cloaks that other races have no analogue to, that can be worn over your armour or clothing.

Installation [​IMG]
    Simply unzip the contents of the file into your Starbound Mods folder. Typically program files/steam/steamapps/common/starbound/mods/

REMEMBER
    • Do not use ModLoader
    • Delete your old installation of the Avali mod before installing updates
    If you ignore these rules, Jetpack will laugh at you.

Frequently Asked Questions [​IMG]
    Q: Where is the option to make an Avali?
    A: You will need a character creation extender installed to create a custom character. I recommend Kawa's extender

Q: How do I dye tent pieces, furniture etc?
    A: This requires you to also have dyemod installed, don't worry, dye mod is multiplayer friendly, installing it will no cause compatibility issues.

Q: Where do I find Avali settlements?!
    A: Anywhere. They count as a 'major dungeon' (like any other settlement such as UCSM bases, Avian tombs, or apex cities). As a rule of thumb if you find a big settlement on a planet that is not avali, there isn't going to be one on that planet and you should look elsewhere

Q: OMG y no rez anim!
    A: The respawn animation is the single most involved file besides the intro cinematics, and has more frames of animation than the male and female character sprites put together. Therefore, it's currently lower on my list of priorities than things like weapons, armour, settlements and gun vendors... be patient.

Q: The ship is smaller than the default ships!
    A: It's exactly the same dimensions, the roof cutaway is a visual trick. The interior space is same dimensions as the standard ships

Q: I don't like the roof cutaway in the ship!
    A: I just told you, it's a visual trick. Cover that up if it bothers you

Q: How does armour work?
    A: Avali-only vanity styles are obtainable via the nanoloom and Nanolathe The "armour" you craft via the anvil will produce armour inserts, which you can use to reinforce your vanity clothing but has no visual appearance of it's own.

Q: The avali in the screenies don't quite fit in...
    A: The art style is being constantly refined, often screenshots are 2 or 3 versions behind the current style and admittedly earlier versions didn't fit well, worth looking for yourself first.

Compatibility
    Generally speaking the Avali mod is highly compatible with all other mods. Provided they are formatted correctly there is unlikely to be any issues, ever. If a mod isn't listed below you can safely assume that it is compatible. The below mod list refers to mods that either make deliberate efforts to be more compatible, or have issues.

Dye Mod - Required to dye certain props
    Catalina Industries - Requires having the Avali mod installed
    Gardenbot - Supports Avali containers and crops.
    Racial Crossover Mod - Supports Avali NPC's and players
    H.A.R.M.O.N.Y v1.5 - Update to 1.6 to ensure compatibility
    Moveable Containers - Requires this compatibility patch

Madtulip's Ship Mod - Partial support, works correctly, but no access to avali starter items. Still playable and highly recommended.
    Directional Spears - Mod is compatible but of limited usefulness. Avali spears are already directional
    Vocaloids - Incompatible, overwrites player.config (Author ignoring requests to fix)
    Geth race mod - Incompatible, overwrites multiple files (Author is working on a fix)

Related and recommended mods [​IMG]
    Dye Mod - Required to dye tent pieces and clothing
    Augments and Assortments - More Avali themed equipment, accessories and even dungeons
    Racial Crossover Mod - Adds additional dialogue for interactions between modded races.
    Catalina Industries - Adds additional Avali-only vanity items.
    Reni's Armoury - Adds a range of awesome hi-tech weapons. Tangentially related in that Reni is an Avali
    XS Corperation Mechs - Certainly within the Avali's tech range. get your mecha while the mod itself still lacks them
    Ore farming - In principle, Avali bacterial gene manipulation tech allows for exactly this kind've thing, in-character ore farming.
    Avali Merchants - Optional Provides a way to spawn avali merchants in case you want to add them to your own settlements.

Visit the wiki here! [​IMG]

Mod Pack Permissions:
    Anyone can use this mod in their mod compilation without the author's consent.
    Mod Assets Permissions:
    Anyone can alter/redistribute the mod's assets without the author's consent.

Recent Reviews

1. Comito
    Comito
    5/5,
    Version: 0.12.4
    This mod actually pulled me out of a dark place in my life, and I just wanna thank Ryuujin for bringing us all together in the way that it did.
  2. fabricioporto
    fabricioporto
    5/5,
    Starbound Mods como ligar
  3. poKoloTim
    poKoloTim
    5/5,
    It can run on 1.3.4?!?!
  4. AnYanVV
    AnYanVV
    5/5,
    They are very beautiful!
  5. JackAfrica
    JackAfrica
    5/5,
    Best mod EVER I like how it isnt just a modified human sprite.
  6. OctavioAGS
    OctavioAGS
    5/5,
    Its great,but my game crashes...

When i found that it crashes my game, i yelled "TRAITOR!!!" because i had too many mods and i was trying to figure out how to fix the crashes.
  7. theminemanner2
    theminemanner2
    5/5,
    With most game mods I get I look at them, think, "Oh that's kind of cool" and then I get bored quickly and move on. This is one of those few mods where I just don't get bored of having it and it is one of the best mods I've seen. Ryuujin, even though you haven't updated in a while, thank you for making such a wonderful idea.
  8. saltarin98
    saltarin98
    5/5,
    me parecio muy bueno el mod y aparte explica como instalarlo eso me fue muy util ya que no tenia ni idea de como hacerlo
  9. Renjmon
    Renjmon
    4/5,
    Very good, diverse and above all quite friendly to the atmosphere of the game-mod.
  10. Gilligan Lanley
    Gilligan Lanley
    5/5,
    When I first discovered this mod, I fell in love with it. From the idea, to the lore, to the look and feel. I was saddened to find that the original was discontinued, but was overjoyed to see that the mod didn't die (the Triage mod). With how much I use the Avali idea; both in-game, and out, I'd be hard pressed to not give anything but praise. I salute you RyuujinZero, and thank-you for bring this idea to life.