Comments on Profile Post by Charlatan

1. Leludar
    Leludar
    Wouldn't blame you. I love Stardew Valley so much '^'
    Dec 29, 2016
    Charlatan likes this.
  2. Charlatan
    Charlatan
    Your Status Post hinted as much :P So... why? Though at least liking the game seems obvious at first glance.
    Dec 29, 2016
  3. Leludar
    Leludar
    There's so much to like about it. I love pixelart for a start. So pixel games I absolutly adore. I love the farming element, the depth behind the villagers, a bit of mystery.

And I get to create a character with purple hair. I mean, what more do I want in a game. *bliss* : 3
    Dec 29, 2016
    Charlatan likes this.
  4. Charlatan
    Charlatan
    I see. The color of this scarf was not random either :P
    Dec 29, 2016
    Leludar likes this.
  5. Leludar
    Leludar
    Ha, nice!
    Dec 29, 2016
    Charlatan likes this.
  6. Charlatan
    Charlatan
    Anyway, I grew up with "pixel" games when there really wasnt anything better. It's nice to see if people can look past "simple" graphics and instead appreciate that there can be much more behind... and that they can be nice to look at anyway.
    Dec 29, 2016
    Leludar likes this.
  7. Leludar
    Leludar
    I agree.
    I know a lot of people who see simple graphics and turn a game down admittedly. Though in my experience there are a lot of games out there with simple graphics that have an amazing storyline or just depth in general.
    Dec 29, 2016
    Charlatan likes this.
  8. Charlatan
    Charlatan
    The typical effect of prejudice, yes ._.
    Dec 29, 2016
    Leludar likes this.
  9. Charlatan
    Charlatan
    I'd have a lot more to answer to that, but dunno the line where it'd be spam :P
    Dec 29, 2016
  10. Leludar
    Leludar
    It's a shame really.
    Sometimes I feel like simple graphics give a better mood to the game as well. Such as horror games. For some reason a simple pixel horror game can seem more creepy to me then the most HD monsters in some games.
    Dec 29, 2016
  11. Leludar
    Leludar
    Ha don't worry about it. I won't see it as spam : P
    Dec 29, 2016
  12. Charlatan
    Charlatan
    In that case, actually, that was a similar thing I thought on that matter. outdated-graphics, or pixelart horror/violence can at times be far more disturbing than modern ones indeed.

Other than that, I think it's like the effect books have, just more helpful.
    Books are renowned for spurring on imagination while getting immersed... a simple pixelart can improve this without damaging the freedom of imagination.
    Dec 29, 2016
    Leludar likes this.
  13. Leludar
    Leludar
    Exactly! I guess there's something about.. not exactly knowing what's going on in an environment you know? In horror games where you can see in all clarity what is going on, because of the detailed graphics you are more aware of everything which makes things less disturbing. But with simple graphics I (personally) wonder a lot more. It stimulates the imagination. Which builds up a certain kind of ''fear''
    Dec 29, 2016
    Charlatan likes this.
  14. Charlatan
    Charlatan
    Exactly indeed :o
    Currently, I'm mostly focusing on both this and the opposite. The latter, it is obvious after all. Pixelart such as Starbound and Stardew Valley is inherently more pleasant, but with a touch of vagueness/mystery it can be equally imaginative just without horror.

As for the horror you wonder about, I guess it has more impact when a simple/cute graphic style suddenly turns to gore/violence.
    Dec 29, 2016
    Leludar likes this.