1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Mountains? Where are they?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bacon, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Heya.

For some reason I was now thinking and... Where are mountains in Starbound? All the terrain seems pretty flat without any major elevations.

There is no info of mountains or even if in high places to be colder and be always snowing, like it happens in reality!

This seems to be something everybody did miss as a terrain feature? :sarcasm:

2. wacky

wacky Phantasmal Quasar

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere about bartwe working on mountain and canyon code, making them better and such :)
    sorry I can't find the source

Axe Garian likes this.
  3. Hmmm i never heard anything about mountains in this game O__o it got soo O___o. There are detailed small terrain stuff but this one is something, more important :p

4. nic329

nic329 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"Generators are completed for hills, flats, mountains, canyons, chasms, islands and more. However at present each planet only makes use of one generator based on it’s selected biome. We would like multiple terrain generators to make up the planets surface. "

I found that on the "roadmap, i remember the thing about Bartwe too just didnt find it. Also if you remeber that post of Tiy in a pink dress on the lego castle, (casued a bit of a fuss) that was on a hill side form what i remember.

5. Zody

Zody Weight of the Sky

joshmusic95 likes this.
  6. Corsair

Corsair Orbital Explorer

Could be a sub-biome feature of some planets. It doesn't make sense for others. I mean, who has a mountain in the middle of a swamp? Well, besides overly cliche fantasy villains who couldn't afford the volcano fortress.

Axe Garian and Nienna_orr like this.
  7. Lumberjack_Liam

Lumberjack_Liam Existential Complex

Mountains would be fun :) AND SO WOULD CLIFFS WHERE WE THROW OFF UNWANTED MONSTERS >:D

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. I missed that! Mountains it is, mwahah!

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. WolfMimir

WolfMimir Subatomic Cosmonaut

Its kinda hard to say something like that when noone even playtested the game to know
    if there is mountains,

10. Affero

Affero Contributor

There are mountains

druid and Bacon like this.
  11. Lumberjack_Liam

Lumberjack_Liam Existential Complex

I don't remember that picture...

Bacon likes this.
  12. nic329

nic329 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Bacon and Axe Garian like this.
  13. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

Wow, Canyons sound cool. I can just imagine a massive crack in the terrain reaching miles down, imagine if we got rope with rope physics to scale down it!

Bacon and Axe Garian like this.
  14. T-Rex

T-Rex Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I think the pictures that were looking right now is a "Flat world" like on minecraft you can play all flat to try different things or build a new buildings, so maybe they did it like that on purpose to build an show us some stuff but not sure

Bacon likes this.
  15. AlphaMongoose

AlphaMongoose Ketchup Robot

At first I read the title as "Mountains? What are they?".

Bacon likes this.
  16. TheTimeLord

TheTimeLord Existential Complex

There needs to be holes too. Those are important land features. That's why we have lakes and oceans.

17. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

So by holes you basically mean... Like, inverse mountains? Some with water, others not, to make lakes etc?