1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

New Suggestion Section

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Darthkitten, Jun 24, 2013.

1. So, the new suggestion section of the site is up, and I'm fairly suprised not to see any threads on this yet.
    Check it out here: http://playstarbound.com/suggestions/
    Discuss!

The design and layout is nice, it's well organized, and it's easy to get to.
    However, I have several problems with this new feature.

I was looking at my race suggestions on this new feature, when I noticed that my feature had -1 point.
    Now, I found this a bit strange, as my suggestions seem to be fairly well received, but I knew that people were entitled to their own opinions. However, I noticed that several other races were also in the negatives, several of which were also well received.
    Among these were: Dragoknights, Parfelians, Liberi, Arachneidi, Cervi, Drale, Skreb, Felix, Boketai, etc.
    In fact, almost all of the races, both good and bad, had been downvoted. Several creatures were downvoted as well.

I looked at the other parts of the suggestion feature, and I found that there wasn't the same trend going on.
    There were a few downvoted things here and there, but not nearly on the same scale as the NPC's and Creatures section.

I don't know what this is due to, but I assume that since all races competeing against each other, certain people downvoted the others in order to try and eliminate the competition. I've seen some pretty passionate people on these forums, and I've heard rumors about hatred for all races but a select couple.

I don't think this is somthing that the devs can fix, but rather the community. Give an honest impression on a suggestion. If you don't like it, downvote it, if you do, upvote it.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it was a programming error? Maybe people just hate most of the races and creatures? Anyway, it seemed really fishy to me.

Oh, and can we get a search bar? That would be wonderful!

Mianso, MEWMEW, blind sniper and 3 others like this.
  2. irongamer

irongamer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Search in the suggestion area and vote buttons in the forum post itself would be great. You can create direct links to voting for a specific item, but you have to be logged in for it to work. However, it is very difficult to verify that the direct link is pointing at the correct suggestion. Official vote buttons in the forums would help.

[Edit]
    There is a way to link to a single suggestion as described below by Fighter1405.
    For example: http://playstarbound.com/suggestions/?p=view&id=1

3. -Winter-

-Winter- Subatomic Cosmonaut

Tried making a thread yesterday but It wouldn't let me cause of server problems. So I was like fuck it. :p

4. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

I noticed this hate for races too! :notworthy:
    i've been waiting for this new suggestion section to post my new race, but now i'm worried the devs won't give it attention because of the down votes... :(
    Some suggestions are great, like the parfelians and those middle east beetle things, and i'd really like to see them in game

5. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

Do we have to be logged in to vote?

6. It appears that you do.

7. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

I personally don't like the new system on the basis that it's now a free for all popularity contest, much like reddit. Eventually especially post release people who have good but unpopular suggestions will be down voted while popular and possible bad suggestion get up voted because people want them. Like say a space tank. Is a space tank necessary or particularly unique, nope but people want it so they up vote it. I'm not saying it will always be like that, but the likely hood for it is high. Personally I would a more refined system that gives a like a devs choice or spotlight type suggestion method in top of the reddit method to give more unpopular suggestions a chance in the lime light

8. Fighter1405

Fighter1405 Suggestions System Author

The aim at the moment is to have an automatic reply to all new threads in the suggestion area containing a link to the voting location, to enable people to easily vote whilst they're reading the forum. For example: http://playstarbound.com/suggestions/?p=view&id=1

It just needs to be properly configured and enabled =)

irongamer likes this.
  9. MEWMEW

MEWMEW Existential Complex

I can't even find my suggestion! (livestock) It definantly needs a search bar

10. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

Feels a bit wonky right now. Would be nice if sections matched up with categories and I could just hover over them for the name.
    So many freaking suggestions...could help for someone to actually clean the section as well there's a lot of duplicates and things that have already been confirmed populating the list.

11. Fighter1405

Sorry, slightly confused by what you mean! The sections and categories already should match up. Which bit exactly do you want to be able to hover over?

12. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

The icons on the actual suggestion page the little guys on the right I didn't really match a book to quests and a dirt block for crafting etc.
    You're right they do indeed! My mistake, the races stuck into the NPCs list confused me.

Edit: Good work so far could we get a tagging system for each section like in the Forums? Like if in the NPC section there's a tag for race, or boss/creature and in the crafting one for crafting and environment. I don't know if that's asking a bit much would just be nice to refine what I'm looking at. Probably because it's new but just found it a bit confusing

13. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

Oh, sorry if i'm being noob, but in this thread this "suggestionbot" guy posted a link to the new suggestion page, showing only that thread's suggestion.
    is this guy really a bot? is he going to give us a link in every suggestion we make from now on? if not, how do i link this way? :unsure:

14. Fighter1405

No problem, I'll have a look at adding some hover text :)

Yep, as written above. He'll be replying to every new suggestions thread to make it easy for everyone to find the place to vote =)

Lobo likes this.
  15. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

@Lobo & Fighter: After I click on the SuggestionBot link I can't return to the original webpage it only shows that one suggestion until I exit the page. :rofl:
    Even clicking on the other category buttons and 'new suggestions' doesn't fix it.

16. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

thanks Mr. new admin! this will help a lot when i ask people to upvote my suggestions :rofl:

That's weird Mr. quantum :unsure:
    when i click the bot's link, it leads me to the suggestion section, but i can click the suggestion name and it does bring me back to the forums...
    maybe it's a problem with your browser or OS?

EDIT: nvm, Mr. fighter fixed it for you X3

17. Fighter1405

You're right, thanks. Fixed =)

18. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

No problem! Thank you for the quick fix. Don't know if you read but any thoughts on having tags on the suggestions on the actual webpage like in the Forums? (Race/Boss/etc)

19. The issue is there should be some better share and show of suggestions. The Most voted one is a DOUBLE topic of the main suggestion that is already an old thread. It's not being fair with the existent awesome suggestions that got forgotten in the forum pages.

I'm not sure how to fix that. hmm

20. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

Moderator intervention. They could move old suggestions that are either out of date/obsolete/dead out of the appropriate sections.