1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed DRM Free Version?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Fizz, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Ahh I hadn't tried that before, good to know though. I don't know much about Steamworks (i think that is the right name for their API) but it is nice to know you can have a game work with steam without needing steam to run to play it.

2. Filipfonky

Filipfonky Cosmic Narwhal

Not to be rude but you could have just wrote "what does DRM mean" on Google.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  3. schwarzwolf

schwarzwolf Void-Bound Voyager

Humble gives DRM free versions of many games for direct download. One of the reason i like to buy indie games there and take even part by the humble bundle, if i have the games already. Its something other to have a version you can make with what you want.

But to give my words aswell, the DRM free version is some large act of faith from the developer. People should return it, by buying the game on their own and don't give it away. Yust because we get 2 versions of the game, one for steam and one DRM free from humble, don't mean we have one to give away. Its yust 2 versions for yourself. If you want to play the game on steam or don't want steam at all. Otherwise it would lead to a large money lost for the gaming companies, who have to give up the DRM free versions to survive.

linkthegamer likes this.
  4. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

That is true, if everyone got a game then gave their steam key away we would have a loss in sales. In fact all the key pages say the following under them "All keys are for your personal use only". I personally wouldn't have a problem giving a steam key to someone for a great game they can't afford. But if your friend can afford the game or really likes it they should buy the game themselves. You really have to think about your actions and how they will affect the game. if just everyone on this tread gave their friend the steam key key it might not hurt chucklefish too bad, if everyone on the forums did it could be devastating (this is not accounting for the higher supporting tiers or the final price the key will cost).

Also humble would prefer you didn't give multiple people the downloads as they downloads cost them every time they are used, which is why they suggest in their emails you make a local backup and why way back in the day the download URLs used to say "please-do-not-share-this-link-it-cost-us-money-every-time-it-is-used" or the like as part of the URL,

Ahbahl likes this.
  5. Fizz

Fizz Big Damn Hero

You see I wasn't sure if it was a name of something related to the game that is why I didn't think of looking it up. Sorry to post this... =/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.