1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed DRM Free Version?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Fizz, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fizz

Fizz Big Damn Hero

I'm not quite sure what DRM is exactly, Iv'e seen on the forums that you get 2 copys of the game? one is the steam key and the other is DRM short for what exactly? This is something I would definitely like to know. Thanks ^_^

2. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

DRM means Digital Rights Management. Have you ever had to enter a CD key to play a game, Answer a question with something that can only be found in the manual or some kind of insert (really only on older games), had to be connected to the internet to play, or had to log into steam/desura to play a game (they are DRM technically, just more beneficial then the other types) then you have experienced DRM. DRM is just the term for methods used to make it harder for a person to play a pirated copy of the game. DRM-free means the game lacks any such methods and can be played by simply installing the games without logging into a service, entering a code, or even being online (unless of course the game needs to install some files from the internet first or you want to play online multiplayer).

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

DRM is Digital Rights Management. It's stuff like CD checks, online activation and the like, and is used to discourage piracy. Steam also acts as DRM in some ways. Starbound doesn't actually have any DRM, aside from the Steam version.

There are two versions of the game you can get (I think you choose one of the two); Steam and non-Steam. The Steam version of the game is added to your Steam library, but the other is just a download through the developer's website.

4. Fizz

Fizz Big Damn Hero

So I wouldn't be able to use the DRM copy of the game to give to a friend and use the steam key for myself? :p

5. Jonesy

You would be able to give either version to your friend, provided you don't activate it yourself first. And like I said, neither version has DRM. It's basically Steam or non-Steam.

6. Fizz

Fizz Big Damn Hero

Oh ok, Thanks for the replies, This was just something I didn't quite understand. Thanks for clearing it up for meh.

7. Jonesy

Alright, glad that's sorted then. If you have any more issues, you might want to read around here.

8. Ethically, no. You only purchased one copy, but you get two for your own benefit/preference.

9. Jonesy

Oh, you do get both? I thought you chose one or the other.

10. Yes. The pre-order page says:
    You'll be able to download one from the Humble Store (the "DRM-free" version), and you'll also be given a Steam key on that same page (like how the Humble Indie Bundles work, if you've ever purchased one of those).

11. Jonesy

Ah, I see. While I'm not familiar with Humble, it seems like a good system. Thanks for the clarification.

12. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

Steam itself is a form of DRM.

13. Ah, okay. Humble works like this:
    Screenshot - 160613 - 11:52:23 PM.png

14. Jonesy

Already aware of the fact.

I see. I'll look into it closer to the release.

15. linkthegamer

Humble seems to run a pretty good shop, and if you ever end up with multiple titles (say you buy Risk of Rain) then all they games appear in kind of an overview page, (minus steam keys and bonus goodies, say if you got a game that came with an art pack or a video making of). I have been a long time humble bundle buyer and so far really like their system.

Jonesy likes this.
  16. Jonesy

Yeah, that sounds alright. Like I said, I'll probably look into it more when Starbound launches.

17. Blankness

Blankness Void-Bound Voyager

I Believe you could share the files for the DRM free version a infinite number of times.

18. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

You could, but as Omni has said before they are hoping people don't act like jerks and actually purchase the game for themselves.
    Ethical standards I suppose some people are more aware than others.

The only true DRM that we know of (besides Steam if you aren't already using it) is when joining a multiplayer server. Server hosts have an option to check the code of your client or not.

Blankness likes this.
  19. linkthegamer

Yes. DRM-Free depends on the player only using it themselves (and maybe letting a few friends try it out to see if they like it). Generally it is understood that if you get the DRM-free copy of something you should not go online and post "Free starbound, download now" since that will prevent further development of the game, sequels, or new games. It would also make the dev team consider never doing that again and implementing DRM, which tends to be annoying since most DRM offers no real benefits (some DRM like steam does offer some nice things to make you forget it's basically a form of DRM).

Quantum likes this.
  20. Darkhog

Darkhog Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, for Steam many people forgets that DRM in it is entirely optional on developer's part.

You don't have to use DRM bits of Steam API if you don't want to. Moreover I've seen many indie Steam games that worked on computers without Steam by just copying their folder over (such as for example Towns or Terraria).

Of course you CAN do it if you want (mostly AAA companies are doing it), but it is entirely developer's choice to use DRM bits of Steam API.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.