1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

The Witch [Character Suggestion]

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ifrit, May 24, 2013.

1. Ifrit

Ifrit Starship Captain

The Witch
    [​IMG]
    Basic stats:
    Speed: +++++
    Jump: +++++
    Regen: +++++

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Bio:(I know this isn't needed but I find it fun/easier to think of attacks by adding some background for them)

The Witch is one of three volunteers to undergo a new cybernetic procedure. The reason for this process was unlike past 'upgrades' to people using technology, it's main Intention was to bestow 'powers' to the subject, in the case of this particulate subject, the power to create and manipulate different elements, such as fire, water and lighting.

The process was successful, however there was some minor unforeseen side effects, such as the subject's hair becoming white and some of the implants within her body are visible through/on the skin most noticeably around, and including, her right eye. While these effects are minor, the team are looking into ways of resolving them for her and future subjects.

Most importantly, The subject's psyche has remained healthy and accepting to the changes to her body, after recovering the subject begun training on mastering her new abilities.

Attack 1 – Wind
    [​IMG]

The Witch's most common method of attacking, fires a ball of wind/force at high speeds at the target dealing 125% damage.

Attack 2 – Fire
    [​IMG]

The Witch fires out a large stream of flames before her for 3 seconds dealing damage for every half a second a enemy is within the flames (It can hit multiple enemies) for a total of 400% damage. She is unable to turn while performing this ability.

Attack 3 – Lighting

[​IMG]

The Witch dashes forwards using the power of lighting to aid her, stunning any enemy she passes dealing 60% shock damage

Attack 4 – Water
    [​IMG]

The Witch summons a large amount of water surrounding her casing a large wave to cause knock-back and stun to all enemies it collides with, dealing 450% damage.

___________________________________________________________________________________________​
    Firstly I like to say sorry for not posting this in the Character Suggestion thread, however I would like some feedback and suggestions on this idea of mine to help make her fit into the world of RoR.

So I got bored last weekend and started working on my own character for Risk of Rain, almost a week later of me being lazy and getting distracted by things like the game itself, I finally finished her, well kinda, the only sprites I haven't done yet (that I can think of) are the death sprite and the sprite of her within the ship.
    I also think some of the attack sprites could do with some extra work/tweaking as well as balancing the moves/damage values. The idea is that she has these powerful skills however they are semi risky to use, as skills 2 and 4 will lock the player in place as she casts them, making her venerable to attack, coupled with slightly longer cooldowns.

So ye, here's the Witch, please let me know what you think and any suggestions or changes I should make.

MisterS42, Fox0427 and Daimera like this.
    • Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

It looks really good! I can't see any real problem with anything, any need to tweak sprites on a functional level is more something for other users with more mechanics experience than me. Aesthetically, Fire could possibly use a bit of a tweak, with the lighter colors on the inside/closer to the origin, and the darker on the outside/near the edge. This setup would look better if it were a launched projectile, but as-is, it looks more like some kind of big sword than a stream of flame.

• Ifrit

Ifrit Starship Captain

Heh, Now that you've said that I can now not see it as a sword =w=
        I shall work on fixing it when I get the chance :3

• needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's nice. I can't really point at any faults design-wise except that she's basically a Commando with a tint of Miner and therefore lacks a truly distinguishable gameplay.

• Ifrit

Ifrit Starship Captain

I dun see that as a bad thing really, as having some classes that are kinda similar will help some players try out other classes, saving them from just sticking to the one.
            Plus with the skills it'll hopefully make it that different item sets are desired too.

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

I see that as a very very bad thing. Each class needs to be very unique, if two classes are too similar, one can end up being neglected. Sticking to one class is usually the result of having played each class and deciding which one they like best, not knowing how to play the other classes (which is not a bad thing, tons of people aren't smart enough to figure out how to use the Miner), or having multiple similar classes.

• Ifrit

Ifrit Starship Captain

See I disagree, personally I don't think each class should be very unique, Sure they need to be different, but not to the point where each one is changing the rules each time. I don't see a problem with some classes being 'mixes' or 'hybrids' of two classes.

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

Well, it's fine to disagree. Hybrid characters are fine, I'm just worried as there's only slots for 10 characters in the full game, any mods that add characters excluded from this consideration.

• JazzPigeon

JazzPigeon Starship Captain

I like it. :up:

• Reciful

Reciful Orbital Explorer

I personally think each character should bring something new to the game at least. As long as the Witch has some sort of unique playstyle that isn't in any other character (which it seems to), then I think it's fine.

Then there's the question of design and synergy. The Witch's 2nd and 4th skill conflict with each other. Do you want to knock mobs away, or do you want to keep them in range to hit them with fire? Miner has a clear combo in which you dash through mobs, use your backblast and then the jumping one to clear out a crowd, thus giving his entire character design some sort of flow. Commando's entire kit revolves around kiting Stone Golems and whatnot with the stun, knockback and clear movement skill. Bandit revolves around looking for opportunities to pop out of invisibility, get a reset, then go invisible again how fast you can hit Z. I can't really give an accurate description of Han-D though. However, you can tell that each of the characters were designed with a clear idea in mind - Commando for hard kiting, Miner for herding mobs and AoE, Bandit for abusing resets and looking for opportunities ULTRA MASH TIME LOLLOLOLOLLOOLLOOL, and Han-D really gives that slow yet bulky and hard-hitting feel.

I'd suggest changing the fire to something like a thrown fireball in one direction that returns back to the Witch, damaging enemies twice, and change the basic to something like "Fires a ball of air that dissipates upon contact, damaging enemies behind the initial target hit". This lets you push enemies away from you with a powerful AoE and get them into a good position (water) and then hit them all with yet another powerful AoE. This would make the Witch more of a high damage AoE character suited to crowds, giving her that niche within all the current character roles.

Ifrit and Treadlight like this.
                      • JazzPigeon

JazzPigeon Starship Captain

I know nothing about this game.
                        all I know is, I like it. :lolwut:

• Reciful

Reciful Orbital Explorer

I guess that's still valid :megusta:

JazzPigeon likes this.
                          • Ifrit

Ifrit Starship Captain

I quite like the idea of the fire ball suggestion, seems like a better idea then a 'flame thrower' type idea, as for the wind idea you mean kinda like a pierce attack or explosion attack? That could also be quite interesting.

Edit - I didn't see Excavater9 post ^^;

There aren't only 10 slots for characters, that's just the way the game is set up now, with how within the kickstarter allows for people who pledge enough to make there own class, he might have already thought of changing the character select screen slightly, or to change it or even add a simple arrow showing another ship with a second set of characters to pick from.

• Reciful

Reciful Orbital Explorer

Either of those work, honestly. It's just that there are more than enough piercing-type attacks in the character suggestion thread so I think an explosion would be more unique. The idea is to give the Witch weak single target damage and powerful AoE.

Edit: Think throwing a water balloon (the basic attack) down a line of people (mobs). The water balloon will travel until it hits the first person, where it will pop on them. The person (mob) in front will have the most water on them (will take the most damage) but some of the water will splash onto the people behind him/her (the mobs behind take a portion of the initial damage).

• Ifrit

Ifrit Starship Captain

Ye that makes a lot of scene, I'll look into changing the sprites and stuff when I get the chance/time :3

JazzPigeon and Reciful like this.
                                • Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

Han-D is all about getting right in the middle of large crowds, dealing punishment and getting back out with full or at least 3/4 health. He is a very powerful character that requires a ballsy playing style.