What happens once Beta comes out?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by PidgyEdits, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PidgyEdits

PidgyEdits Orbital Explorer

Sup guys, I was just wondering (Not sure if this is in the wrong section >.<) but once the Beta comes out, will pre-orders stop and the game will be closed for everyone except the ones that pre-ordered? and then would have to wait for the full game to be released?

Noc likes this.
  2. Yes, Pre-Orders will end once BETA Starts, there can be a Steam Early Access for Starbound when BETA Starts, but nothing confirmed.

And yes it will be a Closed BETA for who did Pre-Order. ;)

Kitty Box, Lyevial and Arkax like this.
  3. PidgyEdits

PidgyEdits Orbital Explorer

Thanks Baccooonnnn! <3

4. PureWillkuer

PureWillkuer Starship Captain

:mwahaha: :giggle:

5. Luna

Luna Pangalactic Porcupine

Care to provide a source for this information?

6. Kitty Box and Luna like this.
  7. Geraldo_Ray

Geraldo_Ray Space Spelunker

Bacon, any chance that the Beta will be accessible without Steam? Or will it be required no matter what.

8. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

You'll be able to play without Steam, Pre-order simply ALSO includes a key for Steam, if you prefer to play there. In effect, giving you the game twice.

Kitty Box and Geraldo_Ray like this.
  9. xXWAGXx

xXWAGXx Void-Bound Voyager

So if I give my Steam key to a friend we can play both the game he with the Steam key and I from Humble Bundle download?

10. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

I'm not sure if they're linked somehow. My best guess would be, that it's possible, but it's just a guess.

11. VoidFusion

VoidFusion Contact!

I don't think that would be possible. If it were, they would essentially be giving away two copies of the game, but for the price of one. If it is, then IDK. Because it just seems it would be horrible marketing procedure* to basically give out two copies of the game. My thoughts are that they are somehow linked. And it would be better for Chucklefish as a company, for them to be linked so they would get more money for what they give.

*: Couldn't find the right word to go with it, so I just used procedure.

12. ktb537

ktb537 Space Penguin Leader

Well, we all become nolife I guess.

Odat and Br4xxx like this.
  13. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

Most games that come through Humble Bundle allow you to both download the DRM free game and use the Steam key to acquire a copy. And since the Pre-order page does state "1x Copy of Starbound + Steam key" I'm pretty sure you can download the DRM version and use the Steam key version (or give it away) not that you should since it is YOUR key and once it's set into someone's Steam you can't get it back. Bart has mentioned that servers can be set to 'authenticate' clients I think this would be the only way they are linked.

Yes but if you try to join a server that is set to 'authenticate' you might kick each other. We're not positive yet. I'd say keep your key for awhile until official word on it.

14. xXWAGXx

xXWAGXx Void-Bound Voyager

Ok thanks for the info!

15. vlamer12

vlamer12 Big Damn Hero

You sure about that?
    Because I do know tiy stated pre-orders will continue till beta.
    But I also thought that he mentioned (or someone else) that after that you can still buy the game for a possibly higher price :confused:

Grzzz

vlamer12

16. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

I'm pretty sure that's what he means, you have to own the game to be in the 'beta'. And if you purchase it on Steam after the beta is out and pre-orders are gone you are allowed 'early-access' via Steam. Seems like a language issue with that statement.

vlamer12 likes this.
  17. Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

Not before:
    [​IMG]

Then we play starbound. and it will be glorious!

ktb537 likes this.
  18. VoidFusion

VoidFusion Contact!

[​IMG]
    It is confirmed that both the DRM version and the Steam key are linked, so basically only one copy of the game is given.

19. Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

Since when is Jonsnow a dev? correct me if im wrong.

20. VoidFusion

VoidFusion Contact!

Well, the guy practically lives on the IRC chat from what I've seen. He would/should know more than anybody that hasn't been on the IRC. Not official confirmation, but it's more logical than getting two copies of the game for the price of one. It's honestly common sense for it to be that way, unless Chucklefish actually wants to lose net profit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.