customizable ship

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Illmad, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Illmad

Illmad Phantasmal Quasar

No, but that's because it's the only thing in the game that isn't customizable, hence the point of this topic.
    What do you prefer?
    Near-infinite possibilities to design your own space ship, but the space ship will look somewhat blocky-
    Or a prettier, less blocky ship that looks the same for everyone?

2. ktb537

ktb537 Space Penguin Leader

[​IMG]

BoboTheEpic likes this.
  3. BoboTheEpic

BoboTheEpic Big Damn Hero

Well, Illmad's designs are mockups :p
    Let the artists go wild with the idea and it'll probably look better.

4. Illmad

Illmad Phantasmal Quasar

Butbutbut... I AM an artist :(

Seriously though, all the pixel related stuff (except the blocks and aesthetic objects) are taken from screenshots. I don't really show my true skills in this topic, but I honestly don't know how I can make this not look blocky without there having to be added mechanics that the average player wouldn't find too advanced.
    Either that, or an incredibly skilled tile-set artist needs to do some insane amounts of work.

5. BoboTheEpic

Well, sure, but have you explicitly been working with the atmosphere of this specific game for months and months? :p

6. Illmad

Illmad Phantasmal Quasar

Nope. I've worked on pixel art on my own though, but that was just for fun :)

FYI, I did some changes to my previous post while you were replying to it as well.

7. Megumi

Megumi Phantasmal Quasar

It would be cool if will be able to receivers players to ur ships :3

8. Exkaiser

Exkaiser Big Damn Hero

What, you mean invite other players onto your ship? That's confirmed. Also, in the mockup for the party UI, there's an option to right-click on your party members and warp them up to your ship.

9. Latiz

Latiz Starship Captain

10. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

This is pretty cool, so you could show off your ship with an unique design to others. Color control would be nice as well :D

11. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

Some customization would be nice, at least in a way of allowing player to choose where what would be upon ship's expansion (rooms, facilities in said rooms and decorational items). I sincerely doubt there would be much of stuff like block-by-block ship-building (at least not without risking quite some mess-ups and lack of logic) or ship damage (again, unless you don't mind basically having vacuum on the ship at which point it shows you don't really need a ship anyway).

12. klauskirkelein

klauskirkelein Subatomic Cosmonaut

As I understood it, the interior of the ship is going to be customisable, but they haven't said anything about anything else? I would love it if it were customisable by some sort of mudule system, where you could not block by block, but section by section expand your ship within the confines of your current ship tier. Colours and decals and materials would be free of choice within ones race. That would be super fun.

13. BoboTheEpic

psst... you accidentally a swear :p

klauskirkelein likes this.
  14. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

You sir, have an internet from me.

I love the idea of being able to build our own ship, and have our customized ship designs. Each race could have their own set of hull blocks to keep each with a unique feeling. (As well as have their own cosmetic things for the otherside of the ship, guns etc)

Illmad likes this.
  15. klauskirkelein

klauskirkelein Subatomic Cosmonaut

Not once but twice, even! zomg o_O

BoboTheEpic likes this.
  16. ktb537

After some reflexion, what about "prefabricated" rooms that you will be able to position as you want (with different rooms for each race) through a "blueprint menu" (or something like that). With the possibility to move stuffs in those rooms, you may have an unique ship but with a cool design (not squarrish at least).

Illmad and klauskirkelein like this.
  17. Illmad

Illmad Phantasmal Quasar

Beat me to it. I actually got sort of the same idea while reading through today's batch of new replies.

I never played many games with map editing tools, but I did play the TimeSplitters series which I remember had an amazing map editor tool, at least for its time. I think it was Timesplitters 3 that introduced rooms with 'no walls' which would have walls unless connected to other rooms. The current rooms are just a single shape, no variation.
    If we had several different room shapes and sizes available which we could place where ever we wanted on the ship as long as the rooms didn't overlap. A separate 'doorway' piece, only 1x1 block in size, would connect them. There has to be a 'room quota' which would measure how many rooms we could place. Smaller rooms would have a lesser value than bigger rooms for instance, and the quota would increase as we upgraded the ship, just like my idea in the first post.

Might just be me, but I still think that the space ship should be given the exact same treatment of customizability as everything else in the game, but this is still preferable to the way space ships currently seem to be.

I might eventually make an illustration for this suggestion too in my OP.

18. Kyden23

Kyden23 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's more of a rectangle anyways...

19. ktb537

Just look the cockpit, the reactor etc. it's not that "squarrish"; we were mainly talking about corner area because ofc the whole thing will have a rectangle shape.

20. Wizrar

Wizrar Lucky Number 13