1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Regarding Pre-Order NPC name...

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Matchew, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrozenFlame

FrozenFlame Giant Laser Beams

Sorry if this is a really dumb common sense question but I just wanna know as much as I can.
    What if you typed in a name without a last name? I'm assuming it doesn't give it a random last name.

2. Wolfchops

Wolfchops Industrial Terraformer

I agree, and on top of that there are too many copyrighted names and such it's near-impossible for something "not-approved" to clash.

3. muxaun

muxaun Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've got a similar situation: I typed in a spanish name composed with many parts. Is it possible that any part of such a long name (like De, Las) will be used as first or second name of generated NPC? It would be strange to see name like Gordon Las.

Also there are over 3K name-backers. I think it's enough - you can use provided names as they are without burdening yourself with name-part-combination.

4. Chobin

Chobin Phantasmal Quasar

From what I gathered reading this thread, it just might. OmnipotentEntity has said that they'll be mix-matching names so that you don't see the exact same name too often.

Don't know if this means it'll be possible for NPCs to have only a first name, though.

I suppose it's possible, but I don't really see NPCs having more than just the first and last name. Making it so that the De or Las would be used intelligently seems like a lot of additional work, though adding stuff like that as an occasional middle name (Isaac De Monteray for example) might be a thing. Also I apologize if I used the wrong form of the word, there. It's been years since I used Spanish and I barely remember any of it.

As for the second part of your post, I refer you to this.

5. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

It's only a lot of work if we have to do it automatically. Because we're manually specifying a name list, and possibly adding randomly generated words to it, it will be very possible and AOK.

6. coldReactive

coldReactive Scruffy Nerf-Herder

coldReactive is pretty neutral :p

7. Cyral

Cyral Title Not Found

Same thing happened to me, if you are opening in a new tab, don't.

8. ErekoseDM

ErekoseDM Void-Bound Voyager

in regards to the name buckets:
    Q: would the names be able to be in 2 of the buckets by default?
    ie
    either both male + gender neutral
    or both female + gender neutral

i didnt do a last name either but i wouldnt want that to be the reason im only neutral florans or robots in the event we are limited to one bucket for the name generation pool.

Q: having only a single name is it going to generate a random last name / first name in each instance?
    or is it going to lead to names like the clerk's nemesis 'Leonardo Leonardo'

Q: are the donated NPC names going to be indicated in any way, like gold text or something (maybe a Star before or after the name) so one would recognize it as a donated NPC name in the case of some of the mixes and matches?

9. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

A: Gender neutral means both buckets.
    A: No, there's not generating going on, this is all done by hand.
    A: No, I don't think we're going to do that. But not a lot of decisions have been made yet surrounding that.

10. ErekoseDM

ErekoseDM Void-Bound Voyager

!!!
    that was quick ^_^

ahh okay makes sense then for the 3 part names + 1 part names

thanks for the info

11. Double S

Double S Pangalactic Porcupine

So, I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but if we put in the NPC name various things like Dr., Sir, Mr. , Sr., Jr., ect. can we expect NPCs to have these?

12. Kevio

Kevio Star Wrangler

I laughed pretty hard at this. :mwahaha: I know you were probably asking a serious question, but "Steven Hawking" being the name, and then you worrying that there might actually already be a Steven Hawking in game......Anyway, it just made me laugh. To answer, (if it already hasn't been) I would say that it would be considered copyright infringement seeing as he is an actual person, so you will probably have to resubmit. (I wasn't being an a-hole by the way. Need to remember to stay away from forums when on adderall dangit!)

13. FrozenFlame

Alright alright.... last piece of confirmation. Now, let's say someone names their NPC Robert (clearly first name) and some other guy names his npc Robinson (last name as far as I'm concerned)
    Now what will be the probable name generation?

A.)
    NPC 1: Robert
    NPC 2: Robinson

B.) [Last Name mix]

NPC 3: Robert Robinsion
    C.) [Mix it all]
    NPC 3: Robert Robinsion
    NPC 4: Robinson Robert
    Please I MUST know, cause I put in a short NPC name and expect to find a lone NPC with that specific name, and not mixed with someone else's input.

14. Nemesis-489

Nemesis-489 Void-Bound Voyager

Wait so if I understand this correctly, all the names we submitted are just going to be thrown into randomization engine hat of the game? There's not going to be any assignment or consistency to the intended names?

15. FrozenFlame

I believe they are going to manually read all of the NPC names so they can filter out the lame names (aka: [censor]) profanity, etc names.
    And they also read them all so they can decide if it's male female or neutral.

16. ElttabCleon

ElttabCleon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Kung Pow is honestly one of my favorite movies.

Xylidya likes this.
  17. TerraPixel

TerraPixel Void-Bound Voyager

That radish spirit profile pic is from Spirited Away! An awesome movie :paper::poke:

18. Fracture

Fracture Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just out of curiosity, would it be at all possible to change the name we gave at this point, or is it too late? No big if it is, just curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.