Race Meet the Oscura

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Unendingfear, Apr 24, 2013.

?

Should it be added to the game?

1. Yes please

450 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. With Improvements

204 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. No way

75 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Unendingfear

Unendingfear Cosmic Narwhal

The Oscura (Name subject to change)

[​IMG]

History

The Oscura are a ravenous, industrialist race. Abundant oxygen, water, and a closer proximity to the local star allowed for jungle life to emerge on the surface. Huge deposits of oil developed under the surface of the plant, which attracted hungry microbes. The energy rich resource accumulated colonies of these primitive lifeforms. Competition gradually led to more evolved lifeforms, the pinnacle of which were the Oscura.

Biology

Oscura are essentially massive colony creatures. They are assembled of tiny lifeforms all contributing to a cohesive structure. Some contribute to more complex structures, such as a nervous system, eyes, and most importantly, a brain. Small colonies of algae exist within the Oscura that gradually produce more oil. This allows for the Oscura to recover from injuries which result in the loss of body mass, although this may take longer to recover than a typical biological organism. On the plus side, this allows them to recover from seemingly severe injuries that would cripple other species.

Society

The Oscura's society is a heavily industrial one. Millions toil away in their ravenous factories, pumping out endless streams of new goods. The home planet of the Oscura is now a barren one, its resources almost entirely depleted, and with a thick blanket of smog hanging eternally overhead. Pressure for new resources ages ago drove them to expand throughout space. The lower class of society toils away in mines on distant planets and in the factories on more developed ones.

The Oscura's hyper-industrialist society has a habit of displacing manufacturing capacity for other races, who's companies and corporations would rather have their good's made cheaply by the Oscura. Few dare voice this dissent, however, because of the facade the Oscura perpetuate. In initial encounters with other races, the Oscura were believed to be shadow people; mythical, horrifying entities found in many cultures. They were quick to realize the advantage of keeping this up; protection from invasion, war fare, the usual international politics, and the ability to go unquestioned by other races. It also serves as a safeguard against less ethical races who might realize the advantage of a breed-able fuel.

Information about their petroleum-past was quickly purged from society, to prevent this from leaking out. Successive generations of Oscura were instructed with this deception. Gradually, a shadow government was created in the background to ensure this myth was perpetuated eternally. A seemingly democratic government rules in the forefront, keeping society placid and unquestioning. The real power in society is held by the shadow government, which ensures that even the slipperiest of rebels disappears into society's fuel stream. Renegade groups exist, but rarely for very long. They tend to be composed of doctors, researchers, other scientists, and their followers who attempt to break the illusion and free the minds of the populace.

As such, the Oscura are rather unfriendly towards outside life. While not outright hostile to visitors, explorers who investigate too much are put down discretely by the government's mob-like agents. Their interactions tend to be kept to digital, long-range communications with the wealthy and powerful of other races for business purposes. At all times a healthy distance is kept.

Technology

The Oscura's technology is heavily dependent upon fossil fuels. Virtually all of their vehicles rely on diesel fuel to function; from their aircraft to their hover-bikes. Most power on their planets is generated by large coal or oil power plants. The heavy industry revolving around the cheap fuels ensure that it will remain a part of their economy for ages to come. While it is cheaper to simply ravage pristine new planets for the vital fluids, the Oscura also control numerous factories that produce petroleum. Dissidents tend to be rendered into diesel, while the algae removed from their body in the purification process are used in the factories to create new oil. The process is all very low-key, with few but high ranking government scientists knowing about the process.

Race Design/Customization

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Look at all these sprites. The possibilities are endless.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Thanks Kingpendragon!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Arrem!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the armor sprites, Sabre.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Sabre for the weapons Sprites!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One with hair, too.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks again, Kingpendragon.

Examples of sprites for the Oscura.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The color of the oil can differ based on “purity,” this would typically be represented in monochrome colors. While black would be the norm, lighter shades could be done. Perhaps a transparent shade would be the lightest, representing absolute “purity” of the oil. The armor bonus could be something like a very, very slow health regeneration over time outside of battle. This would represent the oil being replenished. Perhaps it could increase in speed slightly after food is ingested. This would represent the food being converted into a form of oil by the conditions in battle. Another idea that I was suggested was increased resistance to disease/poison/toxic environments. These are just ideas, though, Open for suggestion.

The eye could have one of two styles. The two should be mutually exclusive: only one or the other should be present in the game. The first would be the generic dual-eye style. The eyes in this style would be customizable in color. The second, preferred, style would be a a single, large eye in the middle of the face. The eye would be white in color, with a distinct pupil.

Hair styles should be slick and conservative. While not typical hair, the excess of oil that floats to the top is morph-able, and should essentially be hair that extends directly from the body. No “outrageous” styles of hair. All clean cut and official looking in appearance. The hair would be the same color as the rest of the body.

Oscura weapons that use projectiles should almost all have drums. Wither for replacing kinetic ammunition, or battery packs for energy weapons, it's all stored in easy to use drums. This design is easier to use for the Oscura, as the larger size and shape helps prevent any oil from accidentally clogging up the weapon.

Fashion

The fashion style of the Oscura is a fusion of the “Roaring 20s” and 50s gangster style. Lower class style is typically a wife beater or factory worker uniforms. The upper echelons of society wear slick (in a rather literal sense) black suits, while their guards and police force don fedoras and pinstripe suits. Middle class dress is all quite formal, though not quite on the same tier as the upper class's. Clothing is a big part of society, with rigid expectations for the upper class. A mussy upper class Oscura would be nothing short of a pariah.

Architecture

Oscura cities should be composed of early style skyscrapers and factories. Dungeons on Oscura planets would mostly be government related. They could include the hidden, underground fuel refineries, government offices, and military bases. Their style of architecture should always have a bit of a grungy feel to it; rust, oil residue, and leftovers from the aerial pollutants omnipresent to their society. Everything should make the player feel small. Skyscrapers that reach far out of the top of the screen; lengthy factories with numerous worker NPCS; underground bases that stretch on deep into the planet.

Thanks

There's a lot of people who helped me put together this idea.
    Here's the people who I can credit.

Thanks to Sishio for helping create the overall theme.
    Thanks to SamuriFerret for the great picture (third).
    Thanks to Singlet, Chamomileable, Kingpendragon, and Arram for all the wonderful sprites.
    Thanks to fetalstar for the header.
    Thanks to Seiga for the picture contributed (fourth)
    Thanks to BigEaredKittens for the factory worker.
    Thanks to Sabre for the weapon and armor sprites.
    Thanks to Gnoll for the excellent sixth picture.

A big thanks to everyone's name I don't know, either.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  2. Soron

Soron Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah thats cool :)

3. Eldritch

Eldritch Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is far better than LE STEAMPUNK KITTIES/WOLVES/LIZARDS/SENTIENT VOMIT xD or the other generic suggestions that keep getting posted half-finished to this board.

4. Manry

Manry Void-Bound Voyager

A race like this would be very cool, I had an idea of a race with the same basic concept being like a man-o-war in a containment suit but this is probably better.

BurningDogFace and Unendingfear like this.
  5. TheTimeLord

TheTimeLord Existential Complex

A race that I would actually like, A mafia/gangster 50s style race.

Khood, Atlus and Pingeh like this.
  6. Illumina

Illumina Void-Bound Voyager

Of course I have to offer my support for this.
    The name obviously needs some mulling over though, haven't heard of a dark wisp before.

Unendingfear likes this.
  7. Unendingfear

Of course. I'm always open to suggestions for the name.
    I've yet to find one a lot of people enjoy, though.

8. Testraloss

Testraloss Void-Bound Voyager

I have a feeling that with a bit better art, people would be all over this
    Love the idea though

9. Unendingfear

Alright, suggestion taken. Requested a picture back in the request thread. Hopefully somebody helps out.

10. Unendingfear

Also, on the topic of the name. Somebody suggested I use the name "Oscura" for the Wisp.
    I like the sounds of it, and it's a rather neat Latin word that means stuff like "grim" and "gloomy." I think it'd fit well.
    What does everyone else think, though?

Model QT-377665 likes this.
  11. Sishio

Sishio Big Damn Hero

Oh hey, this is finally up. I do think we need better art, here. The top one is a bit iffy, but the bottom one is pretty spot-on.

Also I don't think that with the single, large eye, it should have a pupil. It's too "human" and gives them an identity. Instead there should be options for it to be changed to an ellipses, oval, etc.

Unendingfear likes this.
  12. Unendingfear

Okay, name change is up now. Think it's a little more fitting and all. Thanks Sokina for fixing the title

13. Chamomileable

Chamomileable Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like this. I like this a lot. Much more coherent than the slopped together furry drek we get in most threads.

14. fetalstar

fetalstar 404 Artist Not Found Developer

Aahhh, these sound so awesome!
    I really wanted to draw one. I hope you don't mind!

[​IMG]
    Sorry it's so messy! And let me know if the image doesn't work! I've never used puu.sh before.

15. Kistaria Prime

Kistaria Prime Cosmic Narwhal

I might be floran, but I'd definitely approve of this species!

16. theMarg0r

theMarg0r Orbital Explorer

Damn that's good! I'm definitely and firmly for the one-eyed look now.

Model QT-377665 likes this.
  17. fetalstar

fetalstar 404 Artist Not Found Developer

Right? I love cyclopes!

18. Chamomileable

Chamomileable Subatomic Cosmonaut

After mulling things over, the idea of a possible vanity item for the Oscura could be a pair of literal cement shoes. Fits the mobster theme, and if they had function, I'd expect them to slow movement, but allow you to walk along the floor of a body of water and remain grounded on low grav planets. Not my idea, but a friends, none the less.

19. Ricky Rouse

Ricky Rouse Zero Gravity Genie

I'm trying to think of something I could post that isn't "I love it" but really I'm at a loss for words.

You're going places, kid.

PyrePh and Unendingfear like this.
  20. NiosDark

NiosDark Big Damn Hero

I don't things that the dev. will include another race too soon.:yeahhhh: