1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Regarding Pre-Order NPC name...

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Matchew, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V M Smith

V M Smith Phantasmal Quasar

Just get a new email. If your email address ever gets "hacked" you should pretty much always scrape any important information you can from it, then get a new email address. Once, someone in China logged into my email (Google told me so) and I was like "Well that was fun" and abandoned it immediately. Good thing I didn't have ANY information in my email worth stealing.

2. Rowdy Art

Rowdy Art Subatomic Cosmonaut

Just a couple quick questions:
    1:Is there a way to input our name later on, because i don't really have a name in mind, but don't want to close the preordering window.
    2:Is there a way to make a race specific name?

3. dfirehawkc

dfirehawkc Void-Bound Voyager

1. There is a way you can input a name later, just make sure you have your specific humble bundle page. You can access that pre-order page from there.
    2. As of right now, no.

4. Benjabby

Benjabby Title Not Found

Out of curiosity, I entered my username; 'Benjabby' will that be acceptable or not? Seeing as how it is rather name-ish. Also what do one word names mean for the NPC name generation, will it mean sometimes 'Benjabby' will appear as a surname or a firstname along with a random counterpart, or will it only appear by itself?

Out of double curiosity, would any of you starboundians mind encountering an NPC called Benjabby? Would it feel game breaking for you?
    Would you prefer 'Little Tilbury'

5. Vacar

Vacar Master Chief

Thank you very much for the response.

6. Exkaiser

Exkaiser Big Damn Hero

I am okay with either of these, but I kind of prefer the latter for an NPC name. It's fun!

"I am the renowned Apex scientist, Little Tilbury!" etc.

7. Gandolaro

Gandolaro Industrial Terraformer

You can submit a NPC name temporary, you have the possibility to change it from the same interface.

8. Wolfchops

Wolfchops Industrial Terraformer

You can choose a name for now, and later re-visit it if you want to change it again.
    (You can do this as many times before the pre-orders end, for which the Starbound team then review them, I'm guessing)

9. Authos

Authos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I presume names will be sorted via sex then again itd be funny to see a femail called John.:monkey:

Gandolaro likes this.
  10. Fracture

Fracture Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The worry I'd have here is that we might intend for a name to be one or the other, but it might not be immediately apparent to the folks sorting the names. If we just wanted to make sure it got sorted into the right bucket, could we just take on (Male) or (Female) when entering the name?

11. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Absolutely

12. Fracture

Alright, thanks. Wanted to enter a name so I can hunt down the NPC and show it to my girlfriend, but it would wind up being pretty silly if it wound up on a male NPC lol. Cheers!

13. ghosty231

ghosty231 Intergalactic Tourist

evil betty...omg i love him..

14. Zagoner

Zagoner Astral Cartographer

Random thought, I'm sure many of you who have given a name for an NPC would love to have an NPC with your selected name, Which may be a problem with multiple people submitting names. Do you think the option to somehow get the name you chose on an NPC would be available? Like the option to 'Re-generate' the name till you get the one you submitted would be implemented?

15. KaosC57

KaosC57 Phantasmal Quasar

Im really contemplating if i should spend the extra 25$ for the name Skiptrace to be as an NPC name. I would kill for a Legacy name function that all characters have like a last name in a sense. but thats my inner SWTOR player coming out. (the ironic thing is my Legacy name in SWTOR is inspired by this game. as my legacy name is Starbound. and my first character was named Skiptrace. thats why i am really contemplating it...)

16. Double S

Double S Pangalactic Porcupine

Personally, I'd like to see the names everyone else put in. I wouldn't mind clicking a "re-generate" button a few hundred times to see them. Of course that's just me.

17. Mega Man X

Mega Man X Industrial Terraformer

Whatever they come up with, it's sure to be interesting.

18. Chobin

Chobin Phantasmal Quasar

It's been said that it's intended for NPCs to be generated with first and last names, and that certain names (inappropriate, bad connotation or copyrighted) won't be usable as suggestions. But for the random generation, are you planning on going through every single name and every possible combination to remove potentially bad outcomes? For example, if one person put in Thomas as a name and another put in Jefferson and an NPC named Thomas Jefferson were to appear... While I think it would be great to have mister Jefferson helping me colonize (personally I'd rather have Tesla; much more useful) I'm going to assume you guys don't actually want him there.

A better example, since I don't think Thomas Jefferson is copyrighted, would be ending up with names like Amy Rose, Freya Crescent, Mega Man, etc.

19. Fracture

Pretty sure copyright claims against randomly-generated names wouldn't fly, so I don't think that'd be an issue. Even with the name Amy Rose, the NPC will almost certainly resemble the Amy from the show in no way shape or form.

20. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

I'm not too worried about random names incidentally making a copyrighted name. If someone submits Gordon Kennedy, and another person submits Leon Freeman, I'm not going to kick up a fuss just because it's possible that both Gordon Freeman and Leon Kennedy could possible appear somewhere in someone's game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.