1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed DRM free?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Lavitz44, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lavitz44

Lavitz44 Void-Bound Voyager

I purchased the Pixel pack through the pre-order page.
    I do own steam, and i do enjoy having a steam key, however, I was just curious if I will be able to download the game DRM free from the humble bundle page and save it for backup purposes.
    I might be moving soon and i might not have an internet connection when this gets said and done. If i go over a friends house, can i download the "exe" or whatever through the humble bundle page, and save it to my external so i can install it at a later time? Also- If the humble bundle does have this "exe" will it be updated as much as the steam release? Or is it just for the beta / final release?

Thanks a lot.

palito1400 likes this.
  2. Zenuel

Zenuel Cosmic Narwhal

If memory serves, Tiy mentioned offline play as a big must-have, as DRM lately has been quite intrusive. I'm in the same boat as I own steam but my internet isn't always stable, but rest assured the devs don't enjoy DRM any more than we do, so keep positive I'm sure it will be just like the other DRM-free humble games.

JackOfAllTrades likes this.
  3. The game is DRM FREE.

Even with Auth and Game Keys for create a Starbound Account, you will not by any form be forced to be Online to play this game...
    Even for MultiPlayer (both LAN / Online).

The Announced INFO about this was an option to server Owners do such as force-auth to require legit version.

ErekoseDM and Zenuel like this.
  4. Lavitz44

That wasn't the question. I know that it's "DRM free" (Even though steam is a form of DRM) My question was can i download the whole game and updates through humble bumble in a form of .exe or something so i could throw it on external for installation later.

5. Zenuel

Zenuel Cosmic Narwhal

That's information no one but the devs have, we currently don't know how updates are going to be handled.

If you knew it was DRM free perhaps a better title is in order.

6. If you ask me, from Humble you may only download the BETA. I guess Starbound will go to an in-site Shop with downloads (non-steam) for Launch.

The Steam version will auto-do that. Now there isn't a humble bumble version, just the non-steam version, it isn't confirmed but we can assume If we are connected to the Internet the game would ask for Update it, since in servers we always must use the same updated version ;)

EDIT: Or for example when we try to connect to a multiplayer server running a newer version it will ask us for update. Or Maybe a Game Launcher (non-drm that will only checks new versions if connected to Internet)

7. Cow

Cow Starship Captain

Yea i would love to know if this will be an option not only for beta, because i hate downloading steam as it is very intrusive and annoying to have on your computer.

Asrashas likes this.
  8. There is confirmed a non-steam version, it's likely just the normal game for download without any third-party service. Still if the Steam version will have things as Steam Workshop, Server Listings, Achievements, It will make me think twice before go to the non-steam ;)

Quantum and Cow like this.
  9. There won't be any DRM. I'm pretty sure that would be the last thing they'd put in the game. ;)

10. Lavitz44

I thought it kinda matches what i was asking. Since humble bundle would actually be a DRM free version, since the steam version requires an installation of steam :x I figured people would at least read the OP

11. Geraldo_Ray

Geraldo_Ray Space Spelunker

Regarding the question, the developers (how they responded outside of this forum) has made it clear that this game will be DRM-Free with the optional Steam Key.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/starbound_looks_interesting/post15

Here are some of the highlights:

DRM:
    Possible Accounting:
    Offline Play:
    Although this part kind of worries me:
    This probably will change over time as the game goes further in development, but I'm kind of leaning towards DRM-Free with these responses. Hope that helps.

Also, email message I got regarding the same question:
    Since we're on the subject of DRM-Free, go vote for the game on GOG.com: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/starbound

Hopefully that won't be the case. Even with that there's the possibility of playing the game without actually using the Steam client (it actually is possible). If the game doesn't have Steam CEG (Valve's DRM Component) you can move the game .exe and all major game files outside of the Steam folder and run it just fine, of course that's assuming that the game isn't encrypted with Steam CEG. Terraria was playable by that option when it first came out (I think that was the case, not entirely sure), but was removed with one of the latest patches.

Pavio, Asrashas, Lavitz44 and 2 others like this.
  12. Lavitz44

Thank you very much :) I will make sure to vote for it on gog as well :)

Pavio and ErekoseDM like this.
  13. HerpDerpy

HerpDerpy Guest

even if the only way to play is through steam you can still put steam in offline mode to play any non online games.

14. Earl Asplund

Earl Asplund The Number of the Minibeast

Well then! That certainly makes things very clear! :p A vastly-superior survival, Terraria-esque Sci-fi game, with Minecraft levels of DRM? Me likey.

As far as I can tell from those statements, the various methods that they want to allow us to play this game are:
    • Offline Single Player
    • Offline LAN
    • Offline Multiplayer Server
    • Online SP (I guess if you like to use cloud saves...)
    • Online Multiplayer Servers
    Did I mss any?

15. Say.wut

Say.wut Space Hobo

HEY, DRM-Free+ A steam key

16. Mukin

Mukin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

abolutly yes drm free only vac steam sistem

17. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

First of all, NECROOOOOOOO! RIISE! :D Second of all..

Devs can disable Steam DRM easily, after reading this thread I'm not at all sure why it was enabled in the first place.. and I can't see where it wouldn't save me tons of Steam-related agony (one of said agonies being with dealing with the buggy "offline mode" that's failed me so many times..).. Also please don't say anything about "DRM-free means no updates!" when this community is rabidly following the updates and would log in to Steam as often as possible to check :>

18. VeteranKamikaze

VeteranKamikaze Void-Bound Voyager

The game is DRM free at present. Copy the starbound directory to a flashdrive and run starbound.exe on any PC. If the PC has steam rename steam.exe so it doesn't launch when launching starbound (there may be a more elegant solution to this but it gets the job done). Just remember if you let a friend try it and they like it convince them to pay for the game. If it's for your own use only go nuts!

19. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

There is no DRM. The game does not require Steam. The game launches Steam to check for updates. Steam does not need to remain open once the game launches. Stop with the nonsense about DRM that doesn't damn well exist.

20. Shasow

Shasow Space Spelunker

Will users who bought the Steam version have access to a DRM-free (non-Steam) version to download once a DRM-free version comes out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.