1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethor

Bethor Big Damn Hero

Guess that is a personal feeling that, if they are in i will use them, but if they arent in i wont miss them (and yes they will be in as someone said a couple of times before)

But looking at goals, something like the abandoned space stations/asteroid fields/ spacehipgraveyards would (in my mind at least) add more to the game and (once again my personal opinion) be a better strechgoal than pets. Basically becaus i dont really care for pets (pun intended)

JackOfAllTrades likes this.
  2. Mukin

Mukin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yes is only starten pet

3. ErekoseDM

ErekoseDM Void-Bound Voyager

Here is what kept me back from Voting yes (still unvoted).
    of the list of pets this guy wasnt even on the list (now if hes being saved for an NPC all the better ^_^) :

Enos the Space Monkey - the first chimpanzee that was launched into Earth orbit.

Enos Life.png Enos Nasa01.jpg Enos Nasa02.jpg

Karl Pilkington Enos.jpg Karl Pilkington Enos in Space.jpg
    Karl Pilkington Enos story.jpg

edit: ack none of the resizes saved correctly >_<

could even encounter / recruit him in orbit

Dzelda and bowser7 like this.
  4. Cloudpiercer

Cloudpiercer Aquatic Astronaut

I loved the Torchlight 2 pet system also but I'm not sure why people keep comparing it to this. We already have combat pets in game which was one of the things the TL2 pet did and from what I can tell the inventory has a button to send items to your ship so having a pet go back and sell items to clear your inventory is also not necessary.

Sousuke Kuroda and Bethor like this.
  5. Zeplin

Zeplin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think most of the people voting yes do not realize pets are already in the game. And they FIGHT as well instead of being absolutely useless.

6. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

Not so much love for the first dog in space?

7. Godzilla03

Godzilla03 Industrial Terraformer

8. Kuipo

Kuipo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

All this bickering and negativity towards something that was supposed to be so happy and cute as a thank you from the developers for all the support reminds me of a Louis CK quote...

"Everything is amazing right now, and nobody's happy. [...] How quickly the world owes you something you knew existed only ten seconds ago." --Louis CK

9. Khrono

Khrono Big Damn Hero

I really like the idea of a non-combat pet system but I think something that doesn't require a huge amount of coding but still being a system that can absolutely make your experience with the game 1000x better is Guilds / Corporations.

All you need is 3 things

* Chat with guild/corp from anywhere in the game
    * Guild Tag (Example: Khrono from guild 'Universal Takeover' would appear as "[UnTo] Khrono" with the tag being decided by the GM of course)
    * Guild swagga. This could be accomplished in many ways. Some are more realistic (Emblem system that displays on your ship, a place-able banner with your emblem) and could range up to the ambitious (Guild Halls in the form of a space station).

Guilds bring people together and give players a much stronger sense of a community. I know it was mentioned that you would like guilds/corps at some point so why not stretch to make it fit release? (I'm happy with pets too though ;P )

Hydeo, Oskata, Endzone and 1 other person like this.
  10. Casm

Casm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I voted yes and I was fully aware of tamable pets that can be used in combat.

Not saying you're wrong, but there's no evidence to support the theory.

11. Reysol

Reysol Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Have you even thought that some people may not want a combat pet? Kinda like some people don't want a non-combat pet.

IndieGamerRid likes this.
  12. Bethor

Bethor Big Damn Hero

13. bowser7

bowser7 Industrial Terraformer

Maybe the next goal could be like,an enemy alien empire that we fight against? like the Grox from a game called Spore.

14. ErekoseDM

ErekoseDM Void-Bound Voyager

they had a dog in the pet section. but no Space Monkey ^_^

15. Bethor

Bethor Big Damn Hero

Well you can take a combat pet and put it in passive mode (i guess you can set it) than that problem would be solved right :D

16. Burgerling

Burgerling Master Chief

Soo..
    Are we able to chose the color of our pet? and can we aquire all of the pets in 1 playthrough?
    That would be "important" to know :D
    PS: Sorry if this was answered i didn't read all the 38 pages :<
    Also YEAAAAH for the "mini-stretch goal" idea :D

17. Zeplin

Zeplin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I based that on all of the replies in this thread from people who had no idea.

18. ௵ಲ್ಲಾ৺᧯

௵ಲ್ಲಾ৺᧯ Cosmic Narwhal

Pets are good, they are good for work.
    When you have pet you tell it to run and kill for you and if it dies you eat anyway. Pet is good, would like pets.

19. shardival

shardival Pangalactic Porcupine

Because there is not much games with pet system :p

It might be nice addition - it would be cool, if they would be useful somehow of course :)

20. Blueplastic

Blueplastic Void-Bound Voyager

I absolutely hate this. It ruins the atmosphere.

I'd be fine if you could get them later in the game when you've advanced instead of just...being there.
    For example, you could find them in the wild and capture them. They're not randomly generated so lets say there would be 50 of them.
    Another thing to collect and another reason to explore. It makes sense and hopefully everyone is happy

Deltron3O3O likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.