1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt Black Bread

Capt Black Bread Space Hobo

The thing with pets is that, 2/3 times they get in the way and actually subtract from gameplay. Like in the fallout series for example, Dogmeat always died on me because he charged into battle and I wanted to use a rocket launcher, or in Minecraft my wolves would always end up in lava or get blown up by a creeper. Then again you could do something like torchlight and make them invulnerable, but that takes a lot out of immersion. Maybe only have pets at home base or space ship? but then they'll be practically useless.

shallama_llama likes this.
  2. I personally like the idea, but what if it takes a lot longer to finish the game because of that ? :confused:

3. SuperMandrew

SuperMandrew Cosmic Narwhal

So much win, with maybe dim red flashing lights in certain rooms.. Oh man. I hope this happens

Cassavyr likes this.
  4. Arch-Mage Zandor

Arch-Mage Zandor Space Kumquat

No, the achievement is having some massive Godzilla like creature following you, not just any old creature.

5. ardent

ardent Void-Bound Voyager

Honestly, I have no opinion about "pets" as a stretch goal. What I do have is an opinion on what they should represent, and how they are obtained. I think that rather than starting with one, they should be rare, and highly prized. Occasional rewards for completing a dungeon or some other difficult task. They should also be made as distinct from "monster pets" as possible, to avoid the appearance of redundancy. Good passive pet examples are the Mags from PSO, Chao from Sonic Adventure, and the cute little orbs from Castle Crashers - in other words passive little accessories that focus on cuteness and provide benefits that can't be found anywhere else (like treasure-seeking abilities or an aggro magnet) and don't overlap in function with the trainable monsters. This class of creature should also get a unique name or title - "pets" are too generic and imply similar attributes to the monster-training mechanic. Give them a trademarkable, memorable name.

As for proposed stretch goals, what Yoshinom proposed (wall moves) sounds really awesome, but maybe we make it a bit more generic: expanded movement and physics?

Otherwise, what I would really think is an incentive is a launch-date mod API, or at least some kind of modding allowances. Wouldn't it be awesome if the Starbound community continued to give back even after the game launches? Heck, I'd buy copies for all my friends if I had that kind of thing to look forward to.

P.S.
    And yes, I'll totally vote for abandoned spaceships.

Endzone and Zeon like this.
  6. Asteroides

Asteroides Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think a very nice stretch goal would be to get modding up asap. That way with one goal, we would get many, many cool additions to the game in one stretch goal. Like maybe even have some modding tools ready

7. Aeronaut

Aeronaut Pangalactic Porcupine

My impression was that the "pets" that existed before this situation were tamed monsters, a feature of which I've been aware for quite some time.

While I know I'll likely enjoy that as well, the idea of each race having a cute little species-specific pet at the beginning appeals to me as an additional customization option. I know I'd personally find myself hopelessly attached to such a pet, especially if I could name it.

IndieGamerRid likes this.
  8. Patchouli

Patchouli Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You're forgetting, that this is 2D. They're not going to make your pet get in the way of you walking. You'd just walk in front of it.

9. Deltron3O3O

Deltron3O3O Master Chief

no starter pets plz[for a stretch goal over 750k], we can tame monsters already.

What I want to know is if it's not pets then what would the stretch goal be?

Zeon likes this.
  10. Bop-it_Bill

Bop-it_Bill Master Chief

Such a small thing wouldn't delay anything, they actually even said the milestones wont slow them down, which is good if they aren't just saying so,

11. Arch-Mage Zandor

The stretch goal will be for non-combat vanity pets at the game start, comat pets are already being added
    ^This^

IndieGamerRid likes this.
  12. xtkbilly

xtkbilly Orbital Explorer

This isn't more content, it's no-added content. Pets are already in the game. The stretch goal is to make starter pets, that have no abilities.

13. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Phantasmal Quasar

I voted Yes because I like pets but I agree with SorasNobodyXIII. It should be a smaller tier. :)

Deltron3O3O likes this.
  14. DrLeonSisk

DrLeonSisk Subatomic Cosmonaut

100% agreed. It honestly would be incredibly fitting.

SuperMandrew likes this.
  15. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

A prize denotes you've earned it and are entitled to it, though winning something.

These are goals are features the developers want to include at launch and are designating it's within their ability to do so when they've got financial backing from sales. I don't know how a "prize you've earned" works within that framework.

16. Godzilla03

Godzilla03 Industrial Terraformer

I know right. It feels good just talking about it. C'mon Devs look at this idea ! :up:

DrLeonSisk likes this.
  17. ExelicaTriggerheart

ExelicaTriggerheart Astral Cartographer

Oh for the love of... They already mentioned that derelict ships and abandoned space stations are planed for the game. PLANED! FUCKING READ!

18. Arch-Mage Zandor

Well, it could be more content as non-combat vanity pets may not have been planned before this.

19. iamded

iamded Void-Bound Voyager

If we can get flying pets, if non-Glitch races can get robotic pets, then I'm all for it.

Basically I just want a little drone minion to follow me around and be adorable. :rofl:

[​IMG]

20. punkypie

punkypie Cosmic Narwhal

Godzilla03 and Katzeus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.