1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

you're a good example of what i meant. you see stretch goals as something to incite us to spend more while in fact they are meant to be little bonuses made possible by the incredibly high extra income the pre-order has garnered.

Candy Biu likes this.
  2. Preecishun

Preecishun Intergalactic Tourist

Well aren't you finding it queer how the "yay" votes are getting 3 per sec?

3. Kuyon

Kuyon Subatomic Cosmonaut

How about instead making the reward an earlier beta? :p Just kidding I wouldn't mind pets. Would they do anything other than just be for looks? (maybe stat effects or something I don't know).

4. Exi1e

Exi1e Zero Gravity Genie

Incorrect. Customization and linear evolution of the space station are two different ideas.
    essentially what is meant, is that the space station "Leveled up" as you progressed through the game, unlocking mechanics/items/whatever. and if another person came to the space station while other people were off completing other quests and such, they would have missed big chunks of the station becoming unlocked or accessible.

Stargazer likes this.
  5. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

Horse Armor.

Fjupp, icepick37, MetaSieg and 7 others like this.
  6. Eta

Eta Pangalactic Porcupine

My 2 cents - You can release the pets later, but I would really like to see a trailer/gameplay video with all of Starbound's features in it. This is a pretty good reward for achieving $1million AND it could potentially increase preorders.

The pets could be like an $850,000 goal :)

IllusiveEnergy likes this.
  7. Menen

Menen Star Wrangler

Maybe not as a Stretch Goal. I like what the guy said back a few pages, something about making new monsters and creatures through science and stuff. I much rather have that than pets.

ShadowDramon and Testraloss like this.
  8. Until a few minutes ago, "Nay" was winning! We're giving it some time. :p

Auraknight likes this.
  9. EstebanWinsmore

EstebanWinsmore Orbital Explorer

Maybe if pets were a 10,000 dollar goal.

Look, this is a big disappointment. I expected monster breeding.

Tathar, ShadowDramon, wubwoo and 6 others like this.
  10. Testraloss

Testraloss Void-Bound Voyager

This is incredibly underwhelming
    Anything a pet could do can be out done by the tamable monsters already implemented
    Its a lose-lose for the player and dev team

11. PeteJones

PeteJones Orbital Explorer

Gotta get dem Kawaii dessu sprites following us around doing nothing.

12. ShadedBlade

ShadedBlade Phantasmal Quasar

Yes. Do it. It must be DLC.

GreatEvilBetty likes this.
  13. GeorgeV

GeorgeV Art Director

Those will come when they're fully ready and we feel comfortable sharing them. :)

Sundew, NovastarX, Sarim and 4 others like this.
  14. Devious

Devious Orbital Explorer

Pets can wait, I want a real stretch goal to work for.

Rarity and Drakol like this.
  15. Dawgenstien

Dawgenstien Subatomic Cosmonaut

Pets are cool, but I would hope they would have a vast number of variations in terms of colors and what not, if every human has the same brown dog following him/her it would get a bit repetitive

Exi1e likes this.
  16. Ricky Rouse

Ricky Rouse Zero Gravity Genie

A stretch goal isn't there to look pretty, sunshine. Take away the sugar coating and its a literal carrot on a stick. Why not make it a nice carrot? Why make it a carrot that doesn't do anything? No use? No function? Or, going by this thread, a carrot that will do something semi-useful maybe.

17. Herdo

Herdo Pangalactic Porcupine

Semantics. Why would the devs scrap the entire idea either way?

ErekoseDM likes this.
  18. Jaguarkia

Jaguarkia Big Damn Hero

I very much like the idea of pets. It may sound lame and cheesy, but in games where exploration is a key feature, I get very sad and lonely after a while without a companion. Skyrim is a nice example of this. The first time I played, I never used any companion characters, and I just put the game down after a while (*hides from wall of haters*). When I played it again, I tried it with companion characters, and suddenly I was hooked. Dungeon explorations felt like a real adventure, wandering the open fields was actually ENJOYABLE...the point is, I felt completely different playing it with a companion. Not everyone has tons of friends to play Starbound with them, either, so I feel some sort of companion is a necessity. :)

However, there is NO WAY it should be a 1 mil stretch goal. Maybe 800k? A 50k gap for such a small feature. I am sad to see the votes are mostly equal, but I understand what a lot of people are thinking - they want more bang for their buck, ya know? Still, I really think this should be at least a small stretch goal. That's what I think.

ErekoseDM likes this.
  19. Rarity

Rarity Pangalactic Porcupine

I was wondering that myself. Suspiciously Nay was overtaken in mere seconds and I doubt very seriously that a swathe of eager pet lovers came and voted. I also question why a poll would be manipulated anyway if they came to the community for questions. Torn on this one, so I'll leave my tin foil hat aside for now.

20. Casm

Casm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The ability to mount fossils onto Vehicles! I want to drive around in a tank with a giant mammoth head attached to the front of it! Actually, I hope this makes it into the game whether it's a stretch goal or not.

I'll keep thinking of other ideas.

Dagorran, ShadowDramon and ErekoseDM like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.