1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Regarding Pre-Order NPC name...

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Matchew, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happysauras

Happysauras Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I only hope they don't have a limit on amount of characters in a name...
    Intergalactic Solar Sailor J.D. Ferguson might go over... their starboard side...:proper: ah-hah that was lame.

2. Cirom

Cirom Cosmic Narwhal

I'm wondering if it's possible to choose which type of name you want, "Full Name" or "Name Part"

Just an example, say I'm making an NPC called "Cirom Breeze", I could either have the full name there, or with the option to add those names as a "parts" of a name, so that it would be possible to see a "Cirom Rangeway" or "Gareth Breeze", etc.

.. I probably worded this terribly but I think the point got across

3. RustyJ

RustyJ Big Damn Hero

I hope my name is not put under female because its my real name. I wouldn't mind if it is under gender neutral though. Jesse sometimes gets people confused even though that's the male version.
    Edit- I think a good way to handle it would be a option underneath the name so you could specify gender neutral male or female.

4. FrozenFlame

FrozenFlame Giant Laser Beams

I have a question.
    What if the name we chose for the NPC already exist? Will you guys give one of us a second chance or will it be merged?

5. Nemesis-489

Nemesis-489 Void-Bound Voyager

I hope it's alright that I left a small instruction with the name I submitted. Is that alright? Will it be read & processed as such?

6. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

In the unlikely event that this happens, we will contact both users and ask them for an additional name.

Fever and FrozenFlame like this.
  7. Redtremordragon

Redtremordragon Subatomic Cosmonaut

Will they put in full names or just the first part?

8. Casm

Casm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm thinking of donating to this tier. My question is, will the names we create be eligible for some enemies and friendlies or how will that work?

FrozenFlame likes this.
  9. FrozenFlame

FrozenFlame Giant Laser Beams

I believe since it's generalized as "NPC" it will be for friendlies and hostiles that aren't mobs.

10. Vsuchinoko

Vsuchinoko Phantasmal Quasar

(Question Resolved)

Awaiting patiently...
    [​IMG]

11. Casm

Casm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This was answered recently. In this very thread actually. 4 posts above your own.

Vsuchinoko likes this.
  12. OmnipotentEntity

If the name is several parts we're probably going to break it up to mix match them. But we will also retain the full and complete name as an additional possibility.

Both enemies and friendlies.

13. Stormcannon1

Stormcannon1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would greatly appreciate it if the end product didn't mix and match names.
    The whole reason anyone put a multi-part name is because that combination of names isn't meant to be broken up. With over 2500 names being entered into the game so far, it'd be plenty "random" as is.

14. OmnipotentEntity

With only 2500 names the expected time until you find a repeat is only 59 tries.

(2500!/2441!)/(2500^(2500-2441)) ~= 0.501675559294708465579717719169660281727558288994307166190279...

That being said, we're going to have several ways of constructing a name, and you'll be far more likely to find the entire name in one piece than its constituent parts.

15. Vacar

Vacar Master Chief

I'm just being honest here; I don't know how much I like the idea of my enemies being named stuff like "DogLover9394." Is there going to be some way to disable customized names or such? Believe me, I think this feature is cool, but it sounds like it certainly might have some flaws. Some names sounds cool, but others can get really bad.

16. OmnipotentEntity

Vacar, there will be QA on entered names. An NPC name will be subject to removal if it is inappropriate for the setting (for instance DogLover9394), tasteless (for instance Adolf Hitler), copyrighted (for instance Gordon Freeman). We will contact the users who submitted these names for a mulligan.

Suika Ibuki, Jermex, Kyoko and 10 others like this.
  17. Goodsy

Goodsy Big Damn Hero

I know it's probably a royal pain in the rear but being able to choose which gender your NPC name is should be up to the donator. I would hate to see my NPC in the game as a female. Just my two cents though. Starbound will be great no matter what gender my NPC is.

Saxor, Alvin Flummox and RustyJ like this.
  18. dfirehawkc

dfirehawkc Void-Bound Voyager

A simple solution would be to include a bullet list, on the page where you input the name, allowing you to choose male/female/both....... that way, if you had the name "The Great Evil Betty" but it was supposed to be a male, you can choose it.

19. Juice Box

Juice Box Pangalactic Porcupine

There would be another Hawking, here's your options

Use your IRL name, like me
    Get another email with a more complex password
    Get Starbound and don't worry about the NPC name
    Change your current email password ( if possible )

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Forum Bot

Woo, I won't find NPCs with names that are obviously not actual names.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.