1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed credits/NPC name question

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Tea Mate, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

Was curious - by now I see over 600 people who bought the "get your name in the credits!" option. And that would make one incredibly long list. And the preorder just opened. What will you do if it reaches 1000? More? Will you make credits an hour long with over 1000 names in them? NPC names seem like they might have a similar problem (to a lesser extent).

NickName likes this.
  2. Zair

Zair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Movies can credit more than one person per line - say, if you've got a three or four column layout for that portion of the text and such.

The names are for the random NPC pool - on any given run of Starbound, nobody is GUARANTEED to show up, but every time a random NPC needs a random name, that list will be checked.

§hifter and WoxandWarf like this.
  3. Patchouli

Patchouli Scruffy Nerf-Herder

^This. There's been plenty of other games that have a "get your name in the credits" thing, and they didn't have any problems with a large number of names.

And NPC names are hardly a problem. Heck, having tons of names in the NPC pool is a GOOD thing, don't get the same name that often.

§hifter likes this.
  4. Pyrii

Pyrii Existential Complex

There's a name I recognise.

I would like the option of linking a name to a specific race/gender though. Seeing a male ape named "Pyrii" would creep me out :speechless:

§hifter likes this.
  5. Patchouli

Yeah, I keep changing the NPC name a lot, because I can't decide what would be good for just anything in general. I would like this option as well.

6. NightFire

NightFire Parsec Taste Tester

i am soon to going to get the next tier it has to offer please tell me your suggestions!!!!!

7. shatter-frost

shatter-frost Intergalactic Tourist

i used Gwynever think thats not copywritten?

8. Pyrii

Pyrii Existential Complex

Don;y you mean "Guinevere"?

9. Patchouli

I'd figure most first-name only names wouldn't have a copyright.

Like for example, the name "Ryu" would be fine. But something like "Ryu Hayabusa" probably would have a copyright.

Don't quote me on that though.

10. Tea Mate

Names can't have copyrights. A name can have a trademark.

I understand the NPC random pool - I'm familiar with wc3 world editor, where you would have to give heroes a random name pool. I was just wondering about the sheer amount of data and what a pain it will be to sort it out so things like:

wouldn't happen. Not to mention that you need to figure out the name that should be added first (not all of the people who pre-ordered are in the forums, good luck figuring out what names they want added). After that, I presume they will just be added in sorted bulks.

The things about credits... Yes, I've seen it in other games, but not by the thousands. Even if you put these names in rows of four, that would make over 180 lines, and that's just how far it go by now. Pre-orders are still coming in.

These are the things that puzzle me.

11. WhiteZero

WhiteZero Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Try watching the end credit for Lord of the Rings where they list everyone in the fan club or whatever it was. Takes like 15 minutes with 3-4 people per line. lol

§hifter likes this.
  12. Tea Mate

I remember something like that. For some reason I sometimes DO actually watch credits. Perhaps out of curiosity of who's listed where and how much people worked on it and so on. Perhaps hoping for something after credits, as is sometimes the case. And perhaps sometimes out of respect for people who made the game/movie/etc.

This thread was made out of curiosity rather than anything else; credits/NPC name generation aren't actual issues.

13. Vsuchinoko

Vsuchinoko Phantasmal Quasar

I wonder, what if someone chooses a name someone else already chose. Just sheer coincidence but I believe there must be a checking system of the Starbound debs can keep track of, so donors can get their money's worth!

Who knows. Maybe you chose a cool name, someone else also though of, and you were deciding among other names as well! You've wasted your donor reward! Let it be known and organized!

7Tsuchinoko likes this.
  14. NightFire

Oh and for the credits I think it will go at normal speed but when it hits special contributors it will just go at 10x the normal speed lol

(That's why I didn't get the special contributed credits thing)

15. Patchouli

I've never seen credits that change speed at certain parts.

16. NightFire

i have lol

17. Patchouli

What games have you seen this happen in?

18. NightFire

lol i dont know it happend a long time ago :p now i just exit the game if i dont' wanna see the credits...lol aka assassins creed revalations

19. shatter-frost

i know this was quite long ago but no not guinevere gywnever shes the big boob lady in dark souls.

20. shatter-frost

oh crap did i just necro? sry everyone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.