Race Meet the Anodynes

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Suika Ibuki, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Biscuit Sawce

Biscuit Sawce Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe the rocks in them can be a character creation style o_O Plain and simple!

pigrocket likes this.
  2. Zain Hallows

Zain Hallows Existential Complex

Suika, when you feel better, do you think you can talk to tiy, Bietol and fetalstar about the ideas we've put forward...It would be a shame to see this awesome idea go to waste...

3. I just thought of something. You could explain their physical differences (since we've already discussed psychological differences) by where they live.
    Maybe since Novakids are stuck in the 'Old West' kinda stage of history, they prefer living in hot, desert areas, hence the more purely gas bodies and high-pressure brand.
    The Anodynes would live in relatively cooler areas, which would explain why some of the gas cooled to form star pieces, and why they have no brand.

4. Biscuit Sawce

Biscuit Sawce Pangalactic Porcupine

Keep this thread alive everyone! This work is marvelous. Maybe even the best!

Zain Hallows likes this.
  5. Saber Cherry

Saber Cherry Big Damn Hero

Novakids are Wild-West, Anodynes are Ancient Roman - totally different cultures. They're both gasbags, to some extent. But if there's room for 4 flesh-sack races, there's plenty of room for 2 gas-bags!

6. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

Hmm i dont know why, but when i read this i cant help but feel this is insensitive.

7. Zain Hallows

Zain Hallows Existential Complex

I dont see how?

also I already pm'd Tiy with all the suggestions, so maybe he will really consider them :3

8. LordDaniil

LordDaniil Void-Bound Voyager

Looks like "Novakid" from pre-order.

9. HerpDerpy

HerpDerpy Guest

this was made before the suggestion of the novakids.

10. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

Because this was the one of the two halves of the Novakid race that is being added to the game

11. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

While they are two totally different cultures, you realize that both of these cultures are based on human cultures. A single species. I agree that it'd be nice for both races to be in, but we already know that the Novakids are being put in and have been supposedly modified to be both Anodynes and Novakids. So we're arguing in favour of a difference in culture rather than having Anodynes implemented. (Although that'd be preferable).

12. Jod

Jod Orbital Explorer

Both suggested cultures have their high points actually. The wild west has action and a rebellious style, but anodynes(my roman culture knowledge may be lacking, but I don't recognize anything roman in anodyne lore except their architecture, gods are disputable - Olympus was actually a greek thing) have a very rich background.

I can't help noticing that most of the discussion right now is about cosmetics - the brands and crust, while it is not something gamers will really care about because there are tons of simple explanations to such small differences. There are my first 5 ideas off the top of my head:
    1) the crust forms like fat from a leisurely lifestyle
    2) the crust is some form of hair that some regularly shave
    3) the rebels arrange their crust into brands to state their independence
    4) the brands symbolize a clan or something
    5) the crust is actually a brand, with pixel art you can never really tell

Whatever. What really should matter is the backstory. And clashing gunslingers with a luxurious immortal society ruled by narcissists has a lot of potential. It's a lot like Might and Magic - brutes with swords guns vs magic technological sages. Tell me you don't instantly get a plot idea off that backdrop. For me - Star Wars comes to mind "The conflict between Anodyne Empire and Novakid Rebels" or something.

Sousuke Kuroda likes this.
  13. Just to clear things up, I'm not all for making this a separate race. I just want people to be able to tell that the actual race is a mixture of the two suggestions, not to mention that the Anodyne part of the race is also big enough to be noticed. I don't want any controversy either.

That's because they are based upon ancient Greek AND Romans. Furthermore, before I was even able to add a bunch of other content, I was notified that this was going to be added to the game. Of course, I stopped updating, unless they asked me for information they needed. They didn't ask anything.

AstroBlast likes this.
  14. Jod

Jod Orbital Explorer

Well, I can see the dilemma here - now that someone else is developing the race what does it leave you with? But I don't think the fact that yet another gas-bag race is getting created should stop a fan thread. People do want to know more about anodynes.

15. It's pretty much because this suggestion thread is made solely to get itself into the game. I would still give info concerning the Anodynes though, given that people ask. That doesn't mean I will still update this thread with information though, as that's no longer necessary.

16. vlamer12

vlamer12 Big Damn Hero

Then again if you were to provide enough information and someone who can mod got hyped over it.
    He/she could mod it in. Which would still be pretty cool.

Grzzz

vlamer12

17. Well- I really don't see the point in modding in something that's already supposed to be ingame. And it's not like I predicted something like this was going to happen.

AstroBlast likes this.
  18. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

It is a bit shitty that they didn't contact you about it. But we have yet to see exactly how they implement the race, maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Would be really nice if they changed the name too. I'm having a real hard time taking them seriously despite how sound the concept is.

19. What's bothering me the most right now is how people are flooding the Novakid thread with "OMG this race is awesome, its made of stars, what an original idea Bietol!"
    Maybe Tiy shoulda said at the bottom of the stretch goal post that the credit goes to Fetal, Bietol, and Suika, instead of "the ... members involved in the creation of the Novakids".

Zailiner, Zain Hallows and ThePhail like this.
  20. Again with the nitpicking of the name. :rolleyes:

AstroBlast likes this.