1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Novakid- New starbound race

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ZangooseSlash, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Freekill

Freekill Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes.

On topic: Novakid has me intrigued, here's hoping they get added.

LazerEagle1 likes this.
  2. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

Well I forgot most of them, so it's good now. :p

3. DevonDe

DevonDe Big Damn Hero

Tiy is watching this thread.

4. Questing

Questing Starship Captain

5. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

These guys look awesome. Space cowboys made of energy... I'm going to go watch Firefly now.

6. Feeenexe

Feeenexe Void-Bound Voyager

YE
    Yesssss! :viking:
    Although I probably will not go with them, (Unless I find a look I like even more than the look I have that is...) I will probably use their equipment, as I like the western era of clothing and weapons. Nicely done battle. Nicely done. I'm sure that we'll hit the mark within the next day or so. Anyone wanna make bets and then donate it to Starbound just to forward the progress of things?

7. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Hey there,

George is completely right, it's totally an issue of resources.

We actually spoke about the Novakids weeks ago, had a discussion where we essentially asked ourselves if we could get them in the game without delaying anything. Given our current resources at the time we decided no, we can't. The only way to do it would be to get an additional artist to make the assets and we didn't have the funds for that.

If we reach our goal, we will have the funds and getting the Novakid done without delaying anything will be achievable.

Would the Novakid be added to the game after release anyway? Quite possibly, but there's a whole laundry list of post release updates we want to throw in and it's hard to say when they'd be added. They make a very nice stretch goal however and are a good example of a feature you can have materialize faster by simply getting some additional hands on deck.

This is certainly not a case of "give us more money or we're going to take things out and throw them away", we have very specific todo lists for the beta, for release and for post release updates. We're at a stage now where we can't really add anything to them without causing delays unless we pay someone else to work with us.

So to summarise, more money = more hands = more content sooner
    Less money = we'll eventually get around to that content some day, but it will be after the other laundry list of things the core team has to get done.

I hope that clears things up
    We're happy to be totally transparent about everything and I appreciate your right to question us.

piinyouri, Khaos, Zman12380 and 42 others like this.
  8. Alluvian_Est-Endrati

Alluvian_Est-Endrati Existential Complex

Very nice news. Going to have to take a gander at the Lore for these guys. I do suspect that reaching that particular milestone is just a matter of time however. Very cool.:geek:

nababoo likes this.
  9. I'm fairly certain I will now be playing as a Novakid. That Novakid dress is amazing! :love:

10. Can you tell us what your goal in donations is? As in, how much do you need to pay your team full-time and finish the game at a reasonable date?
    Because if extra stuff will be implemented at $500,000, that leads me to believe you're almost at your goal after only a day! [​IMG]

11. Attribule

Attribule Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's pretty obvious....

World domination.

Nesden likes this.
  12. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Well, looks like theyre getting half a million dollars now. Beitol is going to FLIP when he sees whats happened to his suggestion. :rofl:

Gratz man, that was one nice suggestion, but I never ever thought it would actually make it into the game. Thems some bad rad dudes man.

13. Eggy Guff

Eggy Guff Tentacle Wrangler

Nooooooooooooo. Now I've got the Pinky and the Brain theme song in my head. :D

Star and Moon likes this.
  14. I meant how much money they need. [​IMG]
    We all know their life goal is world domination. :sarcasm:

15. No love for Anodynes.

16. Leokins

Leokins Subatomic Cosmonaut

PRE OH DAH!

Bietol likes this.
  17. Attribule

Attribule Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ahhh, I see. In that case:

Zman12380, Freekill, Zangoose and 2 others like this.
  18. Hugt

Hugt Phantasmal Quasar

YES. I WANT. WOOOOOOOO :rainbow::rainbow::cookie: :lolwut:

*Ahem*... :badpokerface:

One could only imagine what they would add if they reached $1,000,000...

19. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

I wish they would reviel another stretch goal~ more magic cool stuff is nice

20. Herdo

Herdo Pangalactic Porcupine

Wow TWO dev replies! Thanks for taking the time to address my concerns Tiy. Your comment really put me at ease.

As I mentioned much earlier in this thread, this in no way was an assumption of greed on the part of Chucklefish.

"Ignorance is bliss" is a phrase that comes to mind in this situation. I would much rather not have known about the features that may be implemented, than know about the features that may not be implemented.

To me, a video game is a piece of art. Let's use that for an analogy. You go to an art show and you notice a beautiful painting of a mountain lake. You decide it's worth purchasing and the artist tells you the painting is $75. You purchase the painting and the artist tells you, "By the way, I was going to put some trees on the shoreline, but I ran out of paint." Now when you look at the painting all you can see is the lack of trees on the shoreline. The artist then tells if he sells enough pieces by the end of the day, he will run out and buy some more paint, and finish the painting before you take it home. If the artist doesn't sell enough pieces, well, you are just going to have to take the painting home unfinished. It's still a great painting, but you wouldn't be able to look at it without noticing the lack of trees on the lakes shoreline.

However, when you said this:

It clarified a lot. Now instead of the artist saying "You are just going to have to take home an unfinished painting", the artist is saying "I don't have the paint or the time to finish it today, but I will try to come by your house and finish it up one of these days."

Again, thanks to you and GeorgeV for the replies, it really did address my concerns. :)

Axe Garian likes this.