1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Regarding Pre-Order NPC name...

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Matchew, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matchew

Matchew Subatomic Cosmonaut

Will names be sorted out as sex-specific? Or will they be randomly attached to either randomly generated sex? If the former, what are the chances of the game spawning a character of the corresponding sex? If the latter, would I hypothetically run into a woman name "Larry" if I chose "Larry" as my NPC name?

2. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

I'm pretty sure you can specifically ask when giving the starbound staff the name, no worries

3. MachoBandit

MachoBandit Pangalactic Porcupine

The devs will have to check all names for profanity anyway, so I bet they'll just throw em into a female or male pool afterwards.

4. Matchew

So, I clicked "REDEEM" and apart from the "Donor Badge" being in my Medals, how do I know the name was put in? Also, I've deleted and re-tweeted about Starbound multiple times, and it still won't let me redeem my "Friend Badge".

5. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

they might send an email asking for a name to input, they might also send a verification email saying that you name has put in~ i think that the first one is the smartest thing to do, in my opinion.

6. Stephen Hawking

Stephen Hawking Big Damn Hero

I can not pre-order Starbound because my e-mail got hacked...
    If I were to pre-order, I was concerned that there already may be a character in game named Stephen Hawking. Does anyone else have this fear?

7. NoxiousRaven

NoxiousRaven Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't actually care what gender they pick.

8. My problem... Is that I named my NPC "The Great Evil Betty", but he is male....

"But.... Isn't Betty a woman's name?" You might ask. To which I reply:

9. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

i think that this post single handily created magic in the universe. on a side note! i wonder what funky npc names we might encounter.

GreatEvilBetty likes this.
  10. Matchew

I actually wanted to offer Neil Tyson as a randomly generated NPC name, but to be sure it would be MY given name at generation and that the devs had the chance to put that character in--and to avoid any possible legal issues--I used an anagram of his name

11. Lilly Satou

Lilly Satou Space Spelunker

I do hope they'd be cool with specifying gender and implement that. With names like Taylor, or Sam, for example, it's kind of ambiguous.

12. IonIon

IonIon Star Wrangler

I'm fairly sure that nobody has created Boufford Alabaster yet. And I think it'd be funny to see Boufford as a female hahah :)

13. Stormcannon1

Stormcannon1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just hope they allow full names, not just first names. Named mine "Sierra Ryderr," so if it comes out to just be "Sierra" it won't be anything special at all.

14. Ravager

Ravager Title Not Found

Wait, so the name we make is randomly picked out to a unit, no customization other than that?

15. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

I do hope they can figure it out haha.

Mines Haruka Saigusa!

16. Samir

Samir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I hope they realize the name Samir is male

It'd be awkward otherwise :virorb:

17. Brisket

Brisket Space Spelunker

When do we pick the name?

18. Fever

Fever Void-Bound Voyager

This does seem kind of finicky to me, cause it doesn't let you input anything but the name on the page...

19. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

We're going to put names into buckets, male, female and gender neutral. That's going to be work on our end, so no need to specify.

20. Fever

Fever Void-Bound Voyager

Cool, unfortunately that means over 1000 names to sort for you guys... Thanks for replying though :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.