Race Meet the Novakid

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Bietol, Apr 4, 2013.

1. MoonyJello

MoonyJello Existential Complex

Sig'd

2. Ayumi

Ayumi Pangalactic Porcupine

[​IMG] Meow?

Wulf_Oman, Nearo, Flan and 5 others like this.
  3. Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren Space Spelunker

She needs a cocktail hat to keep with the western theme.

4. Guppy The Cat

Guppy The Cat Heliosphere

Did you make these sprites or someone help you?

Also, I need some advice. When a race suggestion thread is dying and got absolutely no feedback other than an random off-topic conversation and a guy saying that will make quick sprites for you but he never cames back?

Should I bump it, or make it die anyway, and try again?

5. Almost (95%) sure Bietol made all the art, he just used a sketch by Suika for inspiration.
    And about your race thread, you should bump it if you really think it didn't get the attention it deserved. Maybe message the person who promised you art?

6. Guppy The Cat

Guppy The Cat Heliosphere

Yeah, I bumped it. But I think blobs are a overused idea, I could do something else, but I need a base, and also I can't represent extremely complicated races without making a fucked-up drawing. I will message Alternal if he gets on.

7. That is adorable! Thank you, Ayumi!

8. [​IMG]

9. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

All I can see in that picture is that there are multiple butts in it... I've been hanging out with fetal too much.

10. I imagine that was the primary reason the 'peak of the universe' was built.

Feathery Quink, Flan and Ghostar like this.
  11. Starkid, peak of the universe, butts, IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

12. fetalstar

fetalstar 404 Artist Not Found Developer

ARRR YA GOT ME.

13. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

Its not about creativity, its more about the sound.

Human, Floran, Avian, Apex, Hylotle, Glitch...

And then Novakid.

Don't get me wrong, excellent idea for a race, I just think the name makes it sound a little silly.

EDIT: Being completely honest its simply because it has the word "kid" in it. Even calling them "Nova" would be fine.

14. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades Cosmic Narwhal

Funny, I actually feel that Novakid fits quite well, and that Hylotl sounds somewhat silly. In fact, it's fairly high up on my list of silly words, right in between flabbergasted and pumpernickel. :sarcasm:

15. GabirilosGR

GabirilosGR Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Probably someone can make a mod with those cool races people come with when the game comes out.

JackOfAllTrades likes this.
  16. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

Hylotl fits fine in my opinion, from what I can see its a mixture of the words Axolotl and Hydrogen. Doesn't seem stupid at all.

Novakid is a mix of the words Nova and Kid. When compared with the other names I just don't think it fits in as well, I don't expect the name to be changed based on my opinion alone. The term "Novakid" just doesn't seem like the kind of thing someone would call an actual species, to me it seems more the kind of term people would use as derogatory slang when talking about the species.

17. The thing is probably that novakid is a bit odd for the people to call themselves, as nova is their process of dying. It'd be somewhat like having humans call themselves decaykids or something like that. Now I can't really think of a suggestion for them, other than some bizarre portmanteau of corona and some substance in a star (hydrogen? Helium?), or perhaps a slight corruption of another star-related word.
    Eridanus -> Eridanians (as eridanus is a star in the river/eridanus constellation)

Sousuke Kuroda likes this.
  18. yoppyx

yoppyx Existential Complex

Holy shamwow your art is epic! I with I could even come close to your drawing skills!:up:

19. Well a nova is also how they are born. [citation needed]
    So you could say that it's their cycle of life, and that's probably very special to them. I don't see what the problem is, other than the "kid" part. But IMO it's fine. [​IMG]

bayley, JackOfAllTrades and yoppyx like this.
  20. Then again, we really can't tell that English is their common language and that they know that 'nova' is a phase of a star's life.

Not to mention that is is believed that they were created from a star's explosion, also known as a supernova.