1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Notice Your Feedback on a preorder

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biodude

Biodude Void-Bound Voyager

Talking about the Steam downloading issue you seem to be having, I have two questions: 1) Do you have Steam seen as a threat by your computer as a whole? 2) Have you tried "Port-Forwarding" to remedy that problem if your router has its own firewall (Which may or may not be the problem)?

I had a similar problem with my router before I figured out how to forward the .exe through the correct port numbers.
    It may be something else, but those are two problems I have helped fix on a regular basis.

If you need any help, feel free to contact me about the problem if you wish to discuss this further. :)

WoxandWarf and Asrashas like this.
  2. Luxy

Luxy Void-Bound Voyager

You could always release the beta on Steam, and people could pay for it through that.

I don't think many people would want to pay for a game through some site that's mainly for a donating kind of thing.

Biodude likes this.
  3. neilwithit

neilwithit Void-Bound Voyager

I'll for sure pre-order, count me in. I'd prefer to pay through Steam or Paypal.

4. Asrashas

Asrashas Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks for offering your help, but the problem is that I don't have access to the router blocking the ports, and my stepfather won't forward them.
    Also I do not see Steam as a threat to my computer, but it's true, that i dont like it much, since I have (and still am) experienced/experiencing how restricting it can be. But would I have full access to the Router I think would pretty much enjoy it.
    And it is not just a download problem, but it is even impossible to log in. I have bought Terraria and still had to play a pirated copy, since I was not able to download. Now that I'm at my fathers place I downloaded it, but when the next update comes out, i will be outdated and the only way to go on playing with my friends would be downloading a pirated copy again, same goes for diverse other games in my steam library. Thats why I prefere Humble, GOG or Desura, even with the most basic Ports - which would be 80 and 443 - you have full access to your games.

5. treyb

treyb Lucky Number 13

I like the idea of pre-ordering directly with credit card and receiving a Steam key once beta is ready. Nice and clean!

I've been lurking for a while, but finally registered specifically to give huge props for this:
    So many developers do a cash grab by making you pay extra to unlock that content, and I hate it. It shows a lot of integrity for you guys to reject that route - especially when some of your team are taking second jobs. You guys scored major customer longterm loyalty points with that one.

Luxy, Luci, Dust and 1 other person like this.
  6. Necrius

Necrius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sounds good. Not that I'm gonna preorder, but if it helps the game come out earlier - I support that.

7. Joshua Gray

Joshua Gray Orbital Explorer

I would definitely Preorder. Also, Paypal options work wonderfully!

8. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

If you're on the router you can login to it, it's just that simple. There's a few ways around any protection he might have up, and if he's changed the password, there are ways to reset that as well remotely. But that's only if you are really in need of forwarding stuff on your router, I personally don't have to forward things on my Router(s) often, especially things like steam.

Asrashas likes this.
  9. Asrashas

Asrashas Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well yes he changed the Password, and the only reset I know of is a full reset on the router itself, there's nothing remote stuff that I know of. And If I go for a full reset I would need the internet provider data (customer id and things), also he would notice it. Maybe I talk to him once more. But this thread is not about my problems, thanks for your help once more, but lets not get to much off topic. And I get along without steam pretty fine, so I dont have any urge to do any forwarding atm.

10. Anthony Bailey

Anthony Bailey Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, as many others have said. Sure, do a pre-order or beta already. Humble Bundle is fine as I can pay for it with paypal or a direct paypal payment. Of course it'd be nice to know the system requirements too as soon as you have a estimate.
    Tony

11. Mamont

Mamont Void-Bound Voyager

12. Tzukasa

Tzukasa Void-Bound Voyager

YES get a preorder up and get the game out quicker! If it means there will be faster development do it man. I like your *whole game* way of going about it, as I was reading it at first I was thinking 'oh no' then 'ah k he gets it cool' lol. I also like the whole, get the game direct from the website as well as steam and not forcing people to use steam. LOTS of ppl, myself included despise steam and won't use it, so def keep with this plan. As for payment services do direct credit card and or paypal. DEF make use of Paypal. Those ones you list are meh and some like BMT I won't do business with for past greviences besides the fact just about everyone has a Paypal these days. And for pricing, based on the info out there, if the game turns out to have as much content and features as expected then I think a fair price for preorder is $15 us and $20 after release. Now if some of the features, content that are expected to be in havn't made it due to w/e reason then $10 preorder and $15 after release.

13. wagenman

wagenman Master Chief

Sold. I would even say skip the pre-order. Kickstart it at a low goal to support the project. Reap the benefit of the increased exposure etc.
    I'm all about supporting the developers and artists that I love.

14. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

on steam I like preorder which I truly like. oh don't forget "be prepared for anything even 1 single mistake is in first to in hand reaction by" just like sim city epically failed first came out.

15. DevonDe

DevonDe Big Damn Hero

What were you trying to say?

16. BlackParagon

BlackParagon Void-Bound Voyager

Tyi or anyone else from the team, if you read this: get dat preorder running, gogogo. If you don't I'm going to travel to your office/homes/whatever personally and hand you a bag of money ^^

I prefer steam, because it allows a wide range of payment options already, but to be fair, as long as there is not only credit card/PayPal I'm fine with it.
    As for tiers, soundtrack is cool and maybe unreleased artwork or books/compilations of lore as pdf or so.

DO IT! :)

17. darkice252

darkice252 Big Damn Hero

hell yes, i know myself and a few buddies that would be willing to pay to help see this game released as soon as possible, you should add a "optional pay bracket " for the ones that truly wish to support and aid the development.

18. feathy

feathy Yeah, You!

Pricing models like Kickstarter definitely sound good! Being able to pre-order additional copies of the game as extra tiers seems pretty reasonable as well. That Elite: Dangerous kickstarter was pretty successful after all!

Suggestions for tiers beyond increasingly lowered costs for purchasing multiple digital copies of the game/steam keys at the same time as pre-ordering though? How about tee-shirt with a picture of one of the playable races? 2 designs for each playable race (male/female) and those paying for it can choose which design they want? Physical hard copy of the pre-beta-release game in an attractive case/box with developer commentary/notes/concept art? A1-size poster art Starbound?

Significant contributors can help name an item/weapon/planetary system/NPC/whatever + mention in the credits of the full game when released? (Significant being $500 or something.)

Just some thoughts anyway, since I've not trawled through the previous 60 pages so they might be duplicated suggestions :>

19. Cheter

Cheter Void-Bound Voyager

I really hope a backorder, it would be really nice!
    But some people do not have the possibility to pay with Paypal (like me for example :cry: ) ... It would be really great if there were other means of payment, such as prepaid card "PaySafeCard", which I use mainly on Steam. I really want to support Starbound, and I think I would not be able dripped pre-order because of problems with Paypal payment.
    Hope to see in the coming preorder soon!

PS: I am French, and I apologize for my crappy English (Google translation is like McDonald's, you know it's crap, but you eat it anyway).

DevonDe likes this.
  20. Treyness

Treyness Master Chief

Pre-Orders are always great. Credit card, paypal, the usual payment options would be cool. Kinda with everyone else on "2013" release. I understand why you guys don't post official releases.. falls under the mantra of "under promise, over deliver". You don't wanna disappoint your fans/customers. Having said that, I can't COUNT the times I've seen release dates for games I really wanted to play, get pushed back. Sometimes multiple times. I personally wouldn't hold it against you guys if you gave a rough release date, and had to push it back due to development issues/funding/etc. I'm reluctant to pre-order something that has no release date. I've been following the game for a long time (albeit not active in the community-WoW has ruined that for me) but frankly I'm starting to lose interest in it. If the development is lacking funds, don't use the pre-order as a fundraiser. I bought three copies of Wonderlust Rebirth, because I wanted to donate. There are thousands of people that would love to contribute to the project and expect nothing in return. I digress...

TL;DR version- Pre-Order is cool, but not w/o rough release date.

Mamont likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.