Tutorial How to Resize Images

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by WoxandWarf, Dec 3, 2012.

1. You want a proper-resized sprite. Resizing through that using sprite only resizes the only layer it's on, plus it doesn't resample to its nearest neighbor.

pigrocket and WoxandWarf like this.
  2. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

You made a tutorial? I didn't know you were smart~I mean good job!

WoxandWarf likes this.
  3. since someone's been having issues resizing with MSpaint, despite checking this tutorial...

I have one thing to say about MSpaint... [at least, for Vista. Not sure about Win7's MSpaint]

It sucks at resizing. The resampling is pure whack since you can't really change those settings.
    So if you ever want to resize pixel art, I would not recommend MSpaint at all.

zooey and WoxandWarf like this.
  4. Shooting Star

Shooting Star Existential Complex

The way to resize pictures in SAI is so cheap :rofl:

5. SAI only uses one type of resampling, which is definitely not Nearest Neighbor. That means changing the image size will not work very well. However, it has definite zoom levels, so screencapping at the right size can act as a form of Nearest Neighbor resampling

I could say the same for MS paint, but there aren't many zoom levels for it.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  6. JoanX

JoanX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you very much, all of you! thanks to you i resized my first pixel art yay!
    Good Job everyone :D

7. As far as I know resizing the image using photoshop resizes all frames along.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  8. Proof:

Done these in less than 5 minutes

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

WoxandWarf likes this.
  9. What are you using?

10. How to resize an animated gif/png without an animation frames support [Requires a program with Nearest Neighbor Resampling and Layer support].
    [This is usually done when using gif creators through the web, where you have to upload every single frame to the site to create the gif]

If not done already, place all animation frames into individual layers.
    Resize the entire image [not the canvas, not an individual layer].
    Individually save each layer.

blind sniper and WoxandWarf like this.
  11. It works on Gimp, too!

12. JoanX

JoanX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sure! it was a little sprite i made, a request for Andre Kent's Fan Art post

[​IMG]

Of course, as you can see, i dont know how to dither, AA or even shading, but i used a human character base resource and did this... Later on i'm making a thread to put my improvements :)

WoxandWarf likes this.
  13. Mist Eerie Owhs(Elijah)

Mist Eerie Owhs(Elijah) Star Wrangler

This will help a lot, also can you tell me the regular ??? x ??? of an avatar?

14. Affero

Affero Contributor

You're the first person I have ever met who also use GraphicsGale... Hello my long lost brother...

blind sniper likes this.
  15. Shooting Star

Shooting Star Existential Complex

You can resize with paint tool sai no?
    Just got to canvas and change resolution?
    And if you want a specific part of the image cut it out or cut the layer out and then paste it in another canvas change the resolution there and voila?

16. Affero

Affero Contributor

But it will blurr it out. At least in Windows 7

17. If you aren't scaling a picture up by a multiple of its original resolution, then there will always be some blurring of pixels.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  18. Affero

Affero Contributor

This is a picture I made
    [​IMG]
    Then I used Graphics gale to shrink it 22,5% in size
    [​IMG]
    And here's another one magnified with 37,23%
    [​IMG]
    I don't see any blurred pixels, so no. There will not always be blurred :p

WoxandWarf likes this.
  19. You are correct, as maybe "blurred" was not the correct word choice. But the scaling program still had to warp the image in some way; under these conditions, the picture is not a perfect scale. Notice that in set two, Tiy's eyes are rectangles rather than squares. The solution GraphicsGale provided for the scaling problem was to turn each pixel into a rectangle rather than a square. This is a passable solution to the problem, as long as the imperfect scaling does not bother you. Gimp and photoshop can both scale images in this same way.

If GraphicsGale is what works for you, by all means use what you're comfortable with.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  20. Affero

Affero Contributor

Yeah definetely, I know that :p. Just that if you use Paint for windows 7 it will look something like this
    [​IMG]
    :) But good, we're at an understanding!

WoxandWarf likes this.