Books and Tomes of Knowledge: Weaponized

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Alternal, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

Looking through the suggestions list, I saw people like Ghostar and some others posting about how we should have write-able and readable books in Starbound, and I couldn't agree more.
    But that's not the full point of this thread. Now I was thinking about the huge list of weapons and types there of, and being far into, we have to assume that some of the others races have developed differently, and as of this, they'de obviously have developed different weapons than the standard ones we think of.

Big Update including a new class: Ranged Books!

Why could these belong?
    So that's where this idea comes into play, any race could have these really, basically, these tomes are very large books that are to be used as a weapon. Now I can see people thinking "what the hell", which is fair enough. But knowing just what this game will have, and throwing in the recent Glitch pictures full of books, these definitely aren't out of place.

How would these work?
    But how would you use a book as a weapon? Two ways: first, you just beat things over the head with them! And books this size would hurt, especially when you throw in the metal spines and edges that are present on many books.
    The second method, involves the use of Starbound's advanced technology. Now since these books are huge, it would be easy to include a hidden mechanism into them that fires paper out with various effect, more explained below!
    Along with this, the procedural creation of items could easily be used for these, simply make a list of types of books, and then aspects they could belong too.

Melee Examples:
    Encyclopaedia of Poisons: [​IMG]

Tome of Speed: [​IMG] (Example of a single handed Stat Book)
    Dictionary of Explosives: [​IMG]

Book of Swords: [​IMG]

Tome of Axes [​IMG] (Suggested by WoxandWarf!)

And so on! 2 parts to each book, and you now have a huge variety. (Any suggestions?)

Also note that the design on each cover is the type of book. So all Encyclopaedias have that cover design, but the second component determines colours and additions such as pointed edges, blades, anything really.

Ranged Books: (Suggested by DeadlyLuvdisk!)

So, now that we have the simple melee books covered, we can go onto the more complicated books, ranged.

Now when I say ranged books, I don't mean like sniper rifle range, that would be ridiculous, no matter what kind of technology you have, paper can only fly straight for so long.
    Also it's not like you'd be having simple paper in these books either!
    Mechanisms:
    [​IMG]

REALLY QUICK SKETCH*** (I'll make a better one when I have time.)
    This is the most basic mechanism I could consider, basically the sheets are loaded into a slot and then shot out due to a small energy blast, sending them flying outwards. Now the cool thing about these books is that the mechanism and technology could have a huge array of effects. Pictured above, fire pages are lit ablaze as they leave the book, and poison pages are dripped with poison as they leave the holding book. Any type of effect could be added to these pages as they're ejected:
    You want ice pages?: Boom, the pages are moistened, then supercooled as they leave.

Another effect that could be used would be a shotgun effect, having the book discharge each and every page at once in a giant explosion of razor-sharp pages.
    Components?
    This part I'm unsure about considering how everyone has stated that "There is no magic in Starbound", but hear me out.
    There would be two classes of Books, Stat Books, and Weapon Books. And then from weapon books, 2 subcategories, melee and ranged.

Stat Books:
    • Single handed
    • Causes a slight stat boost: faster running speed, higher jumps, etc.
    • Does less damage if swung. Mechanisms are weaker in the smaller books, leading to an obvious lack in ranged power. Ranged books all have tassels coming from the spine.
    Weapon Books:
    • Two Handed (They're BIG)
    • Depending on the name, can do different debuffs or effects: Encyclopedia of Poison does poison damage due to the edges being laced with toxin. Book of Swords does heavy damage due to the metal edges being extremely sharp.
    • Comes in both ranged and melee forms. Ranged books can be recognised by the tassels hanging out the back.
    Other Aspects and Features:
    • Seeing as these are large books filled with knowledge, if you were on an online server and someone was playing the role of a librarian, you now have the perfect weapon.
    • A new and unique weapon class not present in most games.
    • More Variety is always a wanted thing ;D
    Thanks for the read! Any comments?

nikey9, Ikbenbeter, bgman24 and 15 others like this.
  2. Alternal

Wox you genius, I think I just might have to add that book to the list of examples.

3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Phantasmal Quasar

Sorry, Wox, stand aside. Let me just pancake my enemies with an absolutely massive book about Universal Criminal Justice.

Aidoboy, CosmicOwl, Ricky150 and 4 others like this.
  4. navar0nius

navar0nius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You forgot religious books, which are so heavy they could cause mental damage and stunning!

Thorden, Maw, Ricky150 and 5 others like this.
  5. Alternal

Well there could definitely be a "Bible" Class that could work out. But as there is no actual "magic" in Starbound I'm seeing trouble with finding a suitable subject besides the obvious Holy.

6. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

As a player of Dwarf Fortress you quickly learn that everything can be weaponized. You can turn a single grain of sand into a one shot elf killer, or y'know, try something a little slower and more horrible :mwahaha:

Xylidya, Ricky150, Relinies and 2 others like this.
  7. Alternal

Dwarf Fortress is so difficult oh god.
    That's the extreme though ahahah, I'm not too sure we'll be beating enemies with a block of sand hahahah.

8. Relinies

Relinies King Homestuck III

Neat. I like it. Do want.

Alternal and WoxandWarf like this.
  9. Alternal

Why thanks RELINIES.
    I see you had some liking fun.

WoxandWarf and Relinies like this.
  10. Relinies

I CAN'T HEAR YOU
    SPEAK BIGGER
    Also I will mention that you should be able to put little hidden things into books. You know, poison needles hidden in the spine.
    Or just needles.
    Acupuncture books! Literally.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  11. Alternal

Well then come on down! Looks like you need this brand new Book of Eyesight!

WoxandWarf likes this.
  12. Relinies

Wider camera zooming area! EDIT: Because books have technology in them too!
    Also I edited my post.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  13. Alternal

Okay actually that could work, goes along with the idea of having that poison book laced with poison, you could have a medical book with some sedative needles in it.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  14. Crazyon

Crazyon Master Astronaut

This kinda sounds cool, such as there could be volumes and each time you find a new one you get a higher volume, but instead of stat boosts it could be sold for unique items?
    Such as a form of currency?

15. Alternal

Well I wasn't really planning on going that route, but I suppose that could work?
    wasn't mentioned anywhere...?

WoxandWarf likes this.
  16. Crazyon

Crazyon Master Astronaut

:D
    When I said stat boosts I meant to say Weapon use.
    :D
    :rofl:

17. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

So If I throw the explosives book it explodes?

WoxandWarf likes this.
  18. Alternal

You know I'm not even too sure where I was going with that one.
    Maybe it has explosives it shoots out? :badpokerface:
    Either that or it just causes a small explosion on impact. lots of knockback!

WoxandWarf and BrutorDragon like this.
  19. I initially thought that these types of books in your suggestion would contain recipes and the like, useful things that would grant knowledge upon the player on different fields within the game. For instance, Encyclopaedia of poisons would display combinations that you could make on an "Alchemy" table in order to produce poisons, for example: Mix 3 x Leaf of Derp with 2 x Berry of Hurr = Poison of Drain Energy. I think that'd be pretty interesting.

I'm not too sure about using books as weapons. It does sound kinda funny and original, though, I'll give you that, but I'm not sure how proper it'd be to wield a book in a sci-fi universe. :ssssssssss:

20. Alternal

The greatest axe we know is a giant fish. Your argument is invalid.
    But as I said, it's just for more variety, and that's what WE think, but what about the other races?
    As for the recipes and such, yeah that's possible but stuff like that might already be in-game.

WoxandWarf likes this.