1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

A Generated Monster Every Friday!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheMurumasa, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. We have some really alien looking species right here on planet earth, but I do think that caterpillar is adorable.

WoxandWarf and blind sniper like this.
  2. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Y'know, I considered the idea that it could be a filter-feeder, and that intimidating mouth was merely full of baleen.

However, I took another close look at the body. Beyond its coloration, there are no obvious characteristics of an aquatic or amphibious creature. No dorsal, caudal, or pectoral fins, no flattened tail or tail fins, and it's impossible (for me, anyway) to tell if those feet are meant to be claws, hooves, or flippers. It even has a segmented underbelly, which salamanders and most other amphibians do not. The body proportions in general are very similar to the bulkier terrestrial reptiles, like the gila monster or Bengal Monitor.

This lead me to believe that this is in fact a terrestrial reptile-chimera species, which would likely be predatory.

I'll admit, it's still possible for one or both of us to be wrong, but proving it conclusively would require an up-close look at the Basilope's jaws and feet, and I don't have a tranquilizer dart gun handy.

3. Necrovore

Necrovore Pangalactic Porcupine

True, at no point looking at it did it appear to be something that would swim well. I was thinking it would more likely be found in shallow waters walking along the bottom instead of swimming. The leg structure and such hinting that it may be readapting to aquatic life with recent ancestors being land based. I suppose the biggest evidence toward either theory would be the actual size of the creature when encountered compared to potential prey.

4. Zain Hallows

Zain Hallows Existential Complex

cool stuff here...hehe pg 69

5. Vladimir 3.22

Vladimir 3.22 Zero Gravity Genie

god this thing are so cute (yes i just did say thatX3 ) he should make a lot more with rainbows
    HOLY SHIT!

Schnell and WoxandWarf like this.
  6. xnez

xnez Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think it would be awesome to see a 6 legged animal combo

7. TheMurumasa

TheMurumasa Existential Complex

Had not realised I had gotten so far behind with updating the OP, times been flying by recently.
    Anyway, updated the OP with all the new mobs. Put them in the incorrect order and missed out the tweets.

..Great job me.

GeekNeff, Axe Garian and WoxandWarf like this.
  8. budsygus

budsygus Pangalactic Porcupine

Great job you indeed! Thank you for updating and also for creating this thread. I love seeing things churned out by the "procedural generator." Wish I could have the game, though... :redpanda: (Red Panda agrees)

9. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

I realize the devs are busy, and particularly mollygos who's trying to get all the Chucklefish games forums in order, but has anyone heard anything about today's Procedurally Generated Critter Of The Week?

10. Zynq

Zynq Orbital Explorer

I wish I had a procedural generator for games, cause i'd run that thing until starbound popped out...

oannablue likes this.
  11. Shippo

Shippo Existential Complex

I'm surprised there isn't more outrage at the lack of a random creature... :cautious:
    But I'm sure one will be posted when they get the chance.
    If not, then there's always next week.

12. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Fool.Who can tell we can live up to the next week?Monster.Now.

13. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

I agree... With all this stuff falling from space, our doom might be imminent!

WoxandWarf and Ellie like this.
  14. Ack! No new monster? Randomly generated monster every Saturday?

15. Shippo

Shippo Existential Complex

Ohhh.... I have a good idea! We need two to make up for the delay! :mwahaha:

WoxandWarf and Left like this.
  16. Ooooohhhhh.....I do like the sound of that. Two monsters?

WoxandWarf likes this.
  17. OH POOP. I DIDN'T DO MY JOB YESTERDAY. :(

Two monsters it is~ comin' right up.

18. MEWMEW

MEWMEW Existential Complex

One better be a sentient hotdog ;)

Atomsk Shade and WoxandWarf like this.
  19. Zynq

Zynq Orbital Explorer

Those are pokemon lol

onerb2 likes this.
Thread Status: