1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Reincarnation Through Science!(Gif from tiy)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DawnOfNights, Jan 25, 2013.

1. TrinityMoon

TrinityMoon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

now were getting somewhere my good sir.

2. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

In worlds where you lose your items on death, why not have your corpse become an inventory item holding your items?

Minus when you become involved with lava. Then your life just sucks. :/

Dragrath and TrinityMoon like this.
  3. TrinityMoon

TrinityMoon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I suddenly thought of corpse bowling for some reason.

4. asdfzxc920

asdfzxc920 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If this becomes a thing, I will kill myself a dozen times just so I can use my corpses as cheap storage. And it will be wonderful.

5. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

That could be fixed by making your corpse a TIMED inventory slot. As in, beyond a certain amount of time on the planet it stops being a repository for your armor and starts being mulch.

6. WilsonTheBall

WilsonTheBall Aquatic Astronaut

I think it's cool that they made an explanation for respawning instead of just appearing out of thin air.

7. Lord General Castor

Lord General Castor Void-Bound Voyager

Hyperion suggests that you do not think about the fact that this is only a digital reconstruction of your original body, which died the first time you respawned. Do NOT think about this!

Gorshum, Dragrath and Auraknight like this.
  8. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

You assume wrong! Mwauhaha

Also, to all of you who have an uneasiness with cloning. The feeling that this isn't actually your character anymore, but a duplicate, a fake, a phoney. That's exactly why we chose cloning! You don't begin the game as a clone, you only get cloned if you die. If you never want to be cloned the answer is don't die. We may even have a "home grown" achievement for reaching the end without dying.

If you die we WANT you to feel some sense of loss, as if your old self didn't make it. This is how we're doing it.

Consequences are good!

9. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

The thrill of surviving,I love it.

Gorshum, Dragrath and Alanzer-DNA like this.
  10. Challenge accepted!

Gorshum and Dragrath like this.
  11. Alanzer-DNA

Alanzer-DNA Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As Keeper said:
    [​IMG]
    Even though I know my character won't resist to swim in lava, as always.

Gorshum, Dragrath and Keeper like this.
  12. Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

If we have the power to create a clone in 3 seconds, why do we not have the power to teleport out of a cave?

RustyJ likes this.
  13. Charon

Charon Void-Bound Voyager

Well, maybe you will. Something akin to a magic mirror in Terraria but more technological rather than magical.

14. It has been stated that people are not able to teleport back to the space ship while underground, I'm afraid.

Alanzer-DNA and Mianso like this.
  15. wendyam

wendyam Subatomic Cosmonaut

lol reminds me of baxter stockman of tmnt :speechless: [​IMG]

16. wendyam

wendyam Subatomic Cosmonaut

[​IMG]
    He is so weird o____O

17. We can instantly connect to a person on the opposite hemisphere of the Earth, why we don't have a flying car?

How one thing is connected to another?

18. Corbarrad

Corbarrad Orbital Explorer

I like the animation a lot.
    Goes to show I'm a huge fan of the 5th element. wish i could have seen more of that universe

Well, you could argue that teleportation is nothing more than a sophisticated form of data transfer.
    The same could be said for the purported consciousness transfer.

Even so, in an emergency situation, which "death" certainly is, I would go with the least amount of data needed to transfer out safely.
    The most important thing would be the consciousness, followed by the DNA that would be needed to construct a new body by whatever process is available.
    Keeping the DNA at the cloning station you're bound to wuld probably be even easier than that.

The fact that it doesn't look like what we would call cloning nowadays doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    It's just a term that stuck at some point, like "nuking" something instead of "heating it in the microwave".
    "Consciousness transfer" has been used in SF for quite some time be it wired, wireless or via transplant.
    You could just assume there's only one consciousness around to be bound to a body fitting body.
    For your character that's doubly true, because there's only one player to control him.

Even if you could make multiple copies of such a "soul", from the point they're implanted into a body they're going to develop differently.

Edit: whoa. i completely messed up with that double quote. Don't think I can save this gravefully. way to go for a first post.

19. Addendum: As a biologist, I would like to clarify some things there. The technology shown on that GIF (and in the 5th Element) is not actual cloning (in modern terms). Clone starts from one single cell and progresses through whole embryonic cycle just like a 'normal' human (or another sentient species) does.

Shown technology is more like 3D-printing. 3D-printing of the living organism. So more correct term (IMHO) is not "Clone", but "Copy".

Aforesaid does not diminish my excitement about whole thing. :DD

20. Roxie Stables

Roxie Stables Parsec Taste Tester

Now I am a sad panda :(
    A very very sad pands :(