Living Planets (Or Planatary parasites) Revamped And Ressurected

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Nightly, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Blazerer

Blazerer Void-Bound Voyager

2. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

Here's what I'm thinking of for this: what happens after you kill the living planet? You say you can build your pretty little base on it in safety now, except, wait a second, you're now building your base on a rotting corpse! Eww!

3. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

Well said sir. On the chance that the planet doesn't slowly self destruct (some of them might do that) you will still have a place to build. In order to best explain this let me esplain the anatomy of a Living Planet (really need a better and more sciency name for these) First there is the outer "shell" made up of varying biomes and terrain (like a regular planet right?) so thats mostly where you'll be building your place. The living planet is basically a giant parasite that lives inside the "shell" of a planet. The planets themselves are normal on the outside except that they have NO naturally occuring tunnels on the surface except for the mouth hole (if your wondering if it has a butt, no it doesn't. It absorbs all nutrients it eats so its got nothing to dispose of) The fleshy inside has a rediculously long decay time, meaning that you'll probably be dead before it starts to rot. Besides its a videogame. Since when did LOGIC have anything to do with videogames?

4. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

Or maybe its waste product is indistinguishable from normal stone and dirt. It excretes this stuff through its skin, which is what created the surface layer of the planet.

An Incognito Tuxedo likes this.
  5. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

That's a good idea. I like the space hermit crab/parasite one better though.

6. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

Completely off topic here but I finished Quantum Conundrum today and its has the BEST CREDITS MUSIC EVER.

7. Bomber57

Bomber57 Void-Bound Voyager

I love the idea of this, a living planet with unique, living materials you can take to use for whatever.

I like the second idea, except the ecosystem should be drastically different, full of decomposers and such animals that could thrive there.

8. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

VULTURES EVERYWHEEEEEERE!

9. Blazerer

*shudder* Morrowind all over again...DAMN YOU CLIFF RACERS!

10. An Incognito Tuxedo

An Incognito Tuxedo Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah pretty much, but an ecosystem doesn't get destroyed in a minute. It should take a few days, if not more. Just enough time to find the random chests filled with loot in the middle of a living planet.

Since the planets are living beings, they deserve a scientific name. Planeta tentaculus for a living tentacle planet. Just replace tentaculus for what kind of living planet it is.

Nightly said:
    Completely off topic here but I finished Quantum Conundrum today and its has the BEST CREDITS MUSIC EVER.​
    Better than Portal 2's ending song?

From afar, it should look like just a regular planet. It has grass, stone, Oceans, and even trees. But if you dig down a bit, you can reach the fleshy inside, which, should be hard to break and if you break enough flesh, it gets mad at you and tries (and probably will) to kill you.

P.S. Can you add a poll to see if the community really want this in the game?

11. Blazerer

Icognito, please edit your first post to contain other post if you feel like posting several times in a row. It takes up quite a bit less space.

As for best in game track

12. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

Yes better than Portal 2's song. On the whole i enjoyed QC a bit more than portal 2. It might only be my opinion but this song is GUD.

I shall now focus more on actually answering questions.

13. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

That is the main idea in a nutshell. Other than the "mouth",which just looks like a large cavern, the planet will look normal in almost every detail. Mostly cause the "shell" is an actual planet that was hollowed out by some form of giant space hermit crab thing.

An Incognito Tuxedo likes this.
  14. Blazerer

Ah, so it's the planet that was there first? I figured it was a creature that grew over time into a planet. Interesting. Could that also mean your planet could be infected/attacked by such a creature?

15. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

I suppose but that would be rather obnoxious. If there's already the Darkbound I don't see the point of having ANOTHER thing attack your shit. Besides the creatures that hollow out the planets take forever to grow, then find a suitable planet, and THEN hollow it out and grow from the inside of it. It wouldn't happen in your characters lifetime.

16. Blazerer

Glad to hear that. Would advanced hardware be able of detecting a planet is actually a living planet? Or would it be impossible because of the Planet's crust?

17. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

I highly doubt that anything short of a sample of the planets respective levels would reveal whether or not its a living planet. The reason being is that first you have the average shell of a planet. Then the organism which has heat levels similar of a regular planet with the core projecting the most heat to fool sensors. However despite these things there is no part of the planet that is too hot or cold to survive in.

18. Blazerer

Imagine the surprise on someone's face if he's lived on the surface of a planet for weeks, and then to suddenly dig down and find out he's been living on a space parasite...a very angry one.

19. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

Exactly. You have no way of knowing whether or not the planet you are on is a regular planet or a giant freaking organism thing. Obviously though living planets are high level planets and rather rare. Whats the fun of something amazing if you see it ALL THE TIME?

20. LordRuin

LordRuin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This sounds like a great idea! :D