Full RGB scale for character creation?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Britefire, Jan 4, 2013.

1. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

RGB color sliders was actually one of the many things that Terraria got right, and I'd love to see the Devs include it in Starbound.
    note that I only mention Terraria because one of the Starbound devs worked on that project, and so should be familiar with what Terraria got wrong and right.
    RGB color sliders were a "right" thing.
    WARNING, MAY CAUSE ARGUMENTS : in fact, you could even look at Terraria as being "Baby's first Starbound" :p (the previous is not to be taken seriously. please avoid arguments)

WoxandWarf likes this.
  2. Crimson

Crimson Subatomic Cosmonaut

Forgive my misinformed post people. I misread it...

3. okok111

okok111 Pangalactic Porcupine

This is something I would love, but I found the idea of making blueskinned people a little bit ridiculous? Ah well, I look forwards to a jet black avian if this will get used!

4. Sgt. Sprocket

Sgt. Sprocket Parsec Taste Tester

Can we be able to type in the RGB values, rather than holding down left click on arrows like in Terraria and waiting and waiting...

Garneac likes this.
  5. okok111

I chatted to Molly, and apparently there are only presets :( I don't believe there are any plans for RGB or HSV, but I hope they can prove me wrong.

6. Britefire

Britefire Supernova

Darn :(

Maybe a 3d party editor of some kind, or an update could add RGB or HSB color selection?

7. okok111

All we can do is hope and nag, hope and nag :rofl:

8. The Enlightened Grue

but how can there be truly random procedural generation / random monster generators if they aren't using RGB?

9. okok111

From my understanding this topic was about character creation. Of course monsters (and in a way everything) uses RGB, but you'll only be able to choose from presets.

10. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

Well, to be fair, adding RGB sliders to the character creator would require them to stop whatever they're currently working on and rewrite the code for that, which will add more time before the game's release. So, I think for now it'd be better to just accept the presets.

That said, I do still hope for an RGB slider in the future! So yeah, let's continue to pester them, after the game is released. ;)

11. EGadd

EGadd Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My Pink as Hell Scout has nothing to be ashamed of ._.

12. The Enlightened Grue

since I've got no clue, how hard is it really to make an RGB slider and integrate it into a system that already understands how to switch color-pallets?

13. Kitty Box

Kitty Box Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think that it's probably just different images for each color atm rather than a single image that changes color though I have no way of knowing whether this is correct or not.

14. The Enlightened Grue

I'd imagine that if they did RGB, they'd have the image color itself with a value of "X" as the base color, and then "X-Y" and "X+Y" for the shading in darker and lighter. It'd be simple enough because default clothing, wouldn't it?

15. Kitty Box

Kitty Box Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well you have to factor in the programming of it which may or may not be complex. Even then I think it's fine as is.

16. The Enlightened Grue

yeah, but I'm thinking along the lines of how to do it if it is based on an RGB slider or one of those color-box things like when you try to select a custom color in paint. It would tangle up the programming a bit by being slightly more complex than just sliding in premade textures, but it would add a lot more options color-wise.

Kitty Box likes this.
  17. okok111

There are several ways I've seen it done, but a good example is minecraft's leather armor. One of the methods used for these things is "colorisation", in which the computer does something similar to tinting an image so that the program can change its color.
    Hoped this has helped,
    ~okok111

Kitty Box likes this.
  18. It terms of application, it's as easy as having 3 screens on a black canvas. Each screen would have the corresponding color: Red, Green, and Blue. Adjusting the screen layer's transparencies would create a variety of colors- which is pretty much what I believe how the RGB palette works. The opposite can be done, with 3 multiply layers on a white canvas. In fact, it doesn't have to be Red, Green or Blue. It can be Cyan, Magenta and Yellow.

In terms of programming, no I have no idea how to do that. It's definitely doable, though. And it may or may not be similar to what I've just mentioned.

I still think an HSV[HSB/HSL, whatever] slider would be a lot easier

19. Whilst it may technically be possible, visually, having RGB sliders (or HSL or whatever) ruins the layout of the character creator.
    In other words, the whole GUI would need redesigning in order to incorporate sliders of any kind. Somehow, I doubt the devs will be changing their whole GUI now.
    It may fit better if the sliders (or a colour block like this) were in a separate pop out, but again, that's still not quite in the same style of the rest of the GUI.

Much as I'd like an infinite (16,777,216) range of colours, I wouldn't mind if it were to just have a greater selection of colours. 7 or 8 shades of each colour, rather than 2 or 3.

Also, you guys spelt "colour" wrong :p

WoxandWarf likes this.
  20. The Enlightened Grue

its the same as the Imperial/Metric measurement system and Football/Soccer
    USA rebels against the [voice="Southpark_Cartman"] Authoritah [/voice] of the rest of the world by doing something differently.

Kitty Box and WoxandWarf like this.