1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Fight For Universe: Per Aspera Ad Astra 0.055

Modular Starship Construction System & More Planned

1. Derpinstein

Derpinstein Starship Captain

sorry for my grammar

2. No offense, but I didn't understood what did you mean. Weapon Holders, weapon storage room, chair? What do you mean?

3. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

I think he was talking about what someone else already mentioned, and that was already tackled. He means that following the logic of the OP, any functional advanced building wouldn't work because of an added and superfluous chair (as you said that if there was a forge in the reactor you'd need to remove it). But again, you already answered this, so you might as well ignore it, I'm just clarifying :p

4. KaosC57

KaosC57 Phantasmal Quasar

I know the language you are coding in its called C# (prounced C sharp). and that is what all of terraria is coded in and hopefully starbound will be too for good mod support.

5. Well, I showed it in example. As long as forger/chair/vending machine is not gets on the connection lines between modules, there is no problem...

Then language I used to write code looks like C#, but I not really cared about it while I were writing, I were writing mainly keep algorithm understandable as much as possible.

6. ForeverCopper

ForeverCopper Space Spelunker

The pictures are amazing. Good ideas.

7. KaosC57

KaosC57 Phantasmal Quasar

oh well how i recognised it is i played around with C# but did not really get into it

8. Blazerer

Blazerer Void-Bound Voyager

Yes to all of this. Some points of my own:

I'd like to see:
    - Shield Generators.
    - Defensive Turrets.
    - Point defence.
    - Planetary defence systems (vs ships).
    - Surveillance robots and cameras.
    - Scanners.
    - Automatic operated doors with scanner detection.

- Biological research centre (Floral research device, Fauna research device).
    - Reverse Engineering centre (Where one can research how to create new mods).
    - Defence research centre (Defence turrets upgrades, Shield Generator upgrades, Scanner upgrades)
    - Weapon research centre (Reverse Engineering device, Weapon mods implementer)

No. Absolute and definite no. The devs already said they will not implement magic in this form and I'm entirely in favour of that. Magic, in the concept as you use it, has no place in a sci-fi setting whatsoever! As I know how long a discussion regarding this topic can go on I'd like to forward people to two other threads dedicated to that debate. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/so-about-magic.11097 and http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/how-magic-would-fit.6859

That last part aside, I love the ideas I see here.

9. Pandamonium

Pandamonium Big Damn Hero

I was with you until you said that... Personally, I would to say no to that. Why? The game already has a mana bar, And its called the Energy Bar! Why do you need to bother with "magic abilities" in a sciency game? I don't dislike magic or anything, but it just doesn't make sense. Yes, some things can be explained by science that look like magic, and I can accept that, but you don't need magical spell books that fire lightning in a game that already has guns that use up the "Energy Bar" and fire lightning (just an example, I don't know if its actually going to be in the game). This game does have a theme, and that is the future (and penguins from space). If you were playing Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, you wouldn't want to suddenly get a minigun for getting lots of kills. That would ruin the game, and it wouldn't make any sense at all. Basically, if your going to add this part, change it to some techy thing, and please don't involve magic whatsoever in the suggestion, because, other than that, it had good suggestions, and that one idea literally made me not want to play the game for a few seconds. Once again, I like magic in games, but only if it fits, and that is what magic wouldn't do if it was implemented into the game. Technological stuff like robotic arms that looked like magic but weren't, I would be fine with.

Edit: Also, the Fatigue I would definitely say no to. This isn't a survival simulator, its a game. And although it must use some survival aspects (Hunger, temperature, special equipment for special planets), it doesn't need something where you sit there for a few minutes before a battle cause your afraid of passing out in the middle of fighting.
    Edit Edit: This ^^ also applies to the diseases thing. This isn't a survival simulator.

Zomgmeister likes this.
  10. TheAlteran

TheAlteran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not to sound disrespectful, but you did read the section stating this was the outline for a mod?

On topic I love the amount of detail and ideas present here. I look forward to playing this mod - provided you release it.

11. Pandamonium

:facepalm: to the part about the mod, but it being in the Suggestions section, along with the title in general is a bit misleading. (I also don't really want advanced building so I kinda skipped over most of the OP)
    Even if it is a mod, its not going to be that enjoyable if you can't just play the game and have some fun. Getting infections and having to sleep just don't seem like that much fun to me. If it involves a quest, or some other thing that's actually important to the game, then I would be fine getting poisoned and having to find some antidote to cure me and the rest of my crew. But walking around a tentacle planet and getting some kind of tentacle rash doesn't sound like lots of fun.
    I guess I could have been a bit less harsh about it but still. Some stuff like the Advanced Spaceships and Colonial Warfare sound like they could add a lot of fun to the game, but the fun would get severally reduced by things like disease and fatigue.

12. TheAlteran

TheAlteran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There is no mod section as of yet - something that the topic owner petitioned to have included.

Additionally some of us like the constant threat of death as many rouge likes features very similar features. Simply put Dying= FUN - I would post a like to the dwarf fortress fun comic however I am not sure if that is against the rules. For someone like me -who is playing minecraft with over 162 mods I can say that an increase in difficulty, especially an optional one is not a bad thing. It also allows for some very interesting story telling for RP-groups, e.g: A character has come down with a case of gibbus and a cure must be sought after to prevent a player character from exploding into a thousand bit. (God I've played space station 13 too much)

13. Pandamonium

A lot of the time a challenge is a lot more fun (Minecraft especially), but Tiy has said something about hard mode planets being very difficult. Even with end-game gear.

14. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Nice, a lot of good stuff you have there.

Hopefully all that will turn into a reality, good luck. :rainbow:

15. Admiral Obvious

Admiral Obvious Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I do like this idea very VERY much. However I'm unsure that everyone would agree with me (actually almost certain people would disagree). Although these things are very well thought out and in my opinion would make the game a bit more fun (and slightly tedious), I believe that these kinds of "improvements" should not be required.

The devs said that they would try to make modding as easy as possible. If this thing were to be created as a mod i'd get it, but I don't want this to be required for those who don't know too much about nuclear physics (no offense).

16. It's the minimum, and I intend to add much more, until I will run out of imagination.

There will be more of them :)

And here is where you wrong my friend. I'm always was fan of Technology vs Magic fun. I even tried to bring a couple of things to live, and I actually managed, and it was really good. Also Magic/Technology Fusion can be quite interesting. In addition actual meaning of magic - its something we can't understand completely and to show in formulas, but we can use it. Look at it as very advanced technology, or alternative technology branch, like psionics, enhanced abilities/parameters & different stuff that could be used as possible alternative to current technology tree.

Who said that Starbound is completely sciency game? And answer for your question 'Why?" - because its more fun... for me...

My friend, nobody will force you to play this mod, if you won't play it, nothing bad will happen.

One holy rule (from entire set of holy rules) for modmakers: modmakers make mods, so it will be interesting for them to play and only then, they share it with community. Not the vice verse.

17. Pandamonium

Have you looked at the links he posted? He actually said a few things about that in that thread.

Blazerer likes this.
  18. numptykiller

numptykiller Poptop Tamer

Survival Environment

So I really love the idea of the survival idea but theirs one thing I would like to add I think that ( lets say it is a very deadly environment ) you shouldn't be able to tell what the environment or conditions are like tell your on the planet but if you have the tech for it you could build a scanner to scan ( just the surface ) of the planet to see what the air is like, gravity, ext. but if you don't have the tech you can just look at the planet ( which would probable give you a rough estimate if it's safe or not ) to see say if it's a snow planet,forest, ext. just my opinion please reply and let me know what you think. :)

19. Sure I did. And comrade Dairuga understands meaning of word "magic" in very same way I do. The common problem as comrade Dairuga stated, most player recognize magic only as something medieval, that definitely doesn't have place in something so sci-fi as Starbound.

I gave a though about it, when I added "Survival Environment" part to this topic. By default player doesn't know what actual environment awaits him/her on the planet, beside difficulty level of the planet itself. But as game progresses, player will acquire required technology (to install it on ship) to preform scanning of planet, to get additional information as what biomes on planet exists, what temperature range it has, what weather status, what common diseases it has & etc.

20. Blazerer

Blazerer Void-Bound Voyager

I think he might be referring to what I posted. As I addressed that very topic (and you handle it exactly the same as the others so far). For easier searching though:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/how-magic-would-fit.6859/page-14#post-452477
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/how-magic-would-fit.6859/page-14#post-454776
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/how-magic-would-fit.6859/page-15#post-458439