Suggestion Compilation Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blue, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speno1

Speno1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The author said he isn't updating it mate.

2. ya, but I think this thread is gonna become pointless if it has missed so many newer good suggestions.

3. Speno1

Speno1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, ignore it if you want.

4. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

Seconded.

Sarcasm much?

5. Crazyon

Crazyon Master Astronaut

None whatsoever.

6. Jagaeg

Jagaeg Big Damn Hero

I know one!
    Stamina vs. Weight
    The more you carry, the slower you run, and vise versa.
    In turn, you might not be able to even swim if carrying "this much" or more weight.

7. you're not really supposed to suggest stuff here,
    If you have a suggestion make a new thread and explain it in detail!

8. SomaSam

SomaSam Big Damn Hero

Some one may or may not have said it, but if we were to go into a gas giant would it be treated similar to the stormy planets? Like how Jupiter is covered in constant storms.

9. Well, realistically, you don't just "go" to a gas giant. You kinda just fall until you get squashed by the force of gravity. And even if you could somehow prevent that, theres nothing to land on but a molten core deep inside the planet, but you would probably be dead before you get there. :geek:

WoxandWarf likes this.
  10. Tea Mate

Jetpacks?
    Kind of how you couldn't go to a place called "Icarus" in some old game the name of which I can't remember unless you had wings.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  11. SomaSam

SomaSam Big Damn Hero

This is when we apply Phlebotinum.

And I really never liked the whole "it's too dangerous" thing. I remember in Spore; you could travel through wormholes, get hit by nuclear missiles, and throw down a building that turned into an entire city, yet your fully upgraded spaceship can't fly anywhere close to a gas giant. :confused:

12. The pressure from the gravitational force would still kill you though :p

haha I know, just poking fun
    Anyway, ya, storms would be cool X3

13. Admiral Obvious

Admiral Obvious Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I made a thread on that.

No clue on whether or not its going to be implemented however.

14. Tea Mate

This isn't the place where you post suggestions. To post a suggestion make a new thread in the "suggestion" sub-forum. If you are wondering whether something is already suggested use the search button or after writing the name of your new thread click outside of the text box and the most similar threads will be found for you.

AstroBlast likes this.
  15. hellow27

hellow27 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would REALLY love to see some guns with a secondary, KIND OF like in halo 4, but a bit more this old DS game I had called bionicle heroes( you probably haven't heard of it), the flamethrower could stop for a sec and shoot a big fireball if you pulled the left trigger, or the shotgun could charge and focus its shot, the laser could use a radar to find special items, ect (hopefully not for the procedurally generated ones though/*that could get messy and ruin the uniqueness of certain weapons having a related or special secondary shot, or be VERY OP in some cases */ )

16. Captain Glacius

Captain Glacius Sandwich Man

They all look like excellent ideas, except the wall jumping thing, I'm not so sure about that. (No offense)

17. Leocrubellatti

Leocrubellatti Void-Bound Voyager

Amazing ideas. Although the wall jumping stuff didn't pick my interest. I don't think prince of persia (it's just a reference) would fit well on Starbound.
    One thing that I would tremendously love would be having Love Craft's beasts and myths being put into Starbound. Maybe Cthulhu being able to be summoned?
    He could wreak havoc and destroy an entire world. Imagine an epic 30 AI/people battle against him? :O The reward could be Forgotten knowledge.
    I also totally want a character that can build bots or alike for his aid. I always loved the Summoner/Engineer class (or similar) in games.

18. Tea Mate

Prince of Persia(or rather, a game mechanic that's present in many action games, both 3d, 2d, pixel and not) wouldn't fit, and yet some creatures from horror stories of a specific author would fit a game that's supposed to be original, have it's own story and supposed to be for kids of all ages? That logic is amusing to say the least.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  19. Leocrubellatti

Leocrubellatti Void-Bound Voyager

I don't think a game has the need to be original to be good. The Prince of Persia thing though, I wouldn't like if it were a common thing in the game IF it were to be implemented some how, I think it could be nicely done with some kind of special item/knowledge/etc. or boots, that I would totally love. I like games that gives you rewards for exploring or battling, etc. It's not like I'm gonna play the game just because it has history and avoid it as if it were the plague if it doesn't have a story at all (Terraria/Minecraft, etc.) I think everyone can come up with their own story to play that certain game that doesn't have one. And the Prince of Persia thing I even mentioned it as reference, meaning I know there are many games using that feature. Then you talk about the game supposed to be original? I'm sorry but your logic is just as unbiased as mine. I'm also pretty sure this game isn't focused on kids only. I think every age deserve their love. Not just kids. The game has great potential and it deserves great feedback from its community.

20. Tea Mate

Oh, so having one game mechanic that's present in other games makes the whole game unoriginal? Well then, i guess you should call all the games that have a "walk" mechanic unoriginal as well.
    The same mechanic in a different context/with a different twist might make all the difference. Just because you "wouldn't like it if it were a common thing" doesn't mean it wouldn't fit well in the game(it's an action game after all). Wall jump is just one of many mechanics common in action games. Just as code-puzzles are a common thing in adventure/point-and-click games. It's just one of many mechanics that can be used. For example another mechanic in action games you can use is double jump. In adventure/point-and-click games it might be memory puzzles. Both are part of the game, and yet just because a game has them we don't call it "unoriginal". The thing that makes games original is how and in what context they are used/executed. In this case, the mechanic itself is the important thing. Should it be had from the start? Or perhaps it should be a mid-game mechanic? Should it have tiers? It all depends on the world's, through which you need to navigate, design and difficulty. In the case of Starbound you will have jetpacks late game(from what i've heard) which means wall jump needs to be an early-mid game mechanic if it's implemented.
    Also, about it being "too common". Not everything must be obtained through exploration/battles. You have the jump ability from the start, right? Well, maybe you want to earn that through exploration, because it's too common? My point is - you can have certain abilities from the start, but they can be improved through equipment. So they might make wall jump something you have at the very start. They might make it obtainable through equipment. You might have wall jump from the start, and be able to upgrade it later. There might be no wall jump at all.
    Besides that, every good game is original in it's own way, otherwise it doesn't rise much and is soon forgotten. Why do you think Call of Duty series are being mocked so much?

Now, specific creatures from the stories of a certain author is something else. You will walk through the world and keep seeing the creatures you read about in those books. In the books of one specific author. Then it will no longer be a game with it's own separate story and everything, but will rather be a game based on that book. Having one creature as a reference is ok. Having more is something else entirely. Have you seen all the people suggesting pokemon stuff to be added to starbound yet? Imagine if that was added. You would walk through the world of starbound and keep meeting pokemon. What would that make you think? "Bah, another pokemon game." Is what I would think just before deleting it. "Feedback" is one thing, suggesting to copy some other game/story/etc. you like is another. Starbound is not one of those stories/games. It's a different game in it's own right. It's not supposed to copy something else. I understand you like those things, and you think they would fit great, but the same way I think about Fable/Black and White, and other people think about Pokemon, or about Transformers or any other thing.
    So you see, there's a giant difference. In short - mechanics/programming are like the bones of the game. Creature names, graphics, story, visuals and etc. are the face. Most humans have very similar bone structure. And yet each one looks different because of their features. The same thing with games. Most games of the same genre have similar mechanics. What makes them original and different are the story/visuals/etc. depending on the game.

WoxandWarf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.