1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Meet the Florans

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ghostar, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Luna

Luna Pangalactic Porcupine

Did everyone on the forums misread the florans post or was it just me?

I thought it said they eat OTHER races, not Florans, meaning they aren't cannibals- they're just carnivores.

2. Galactic Mindswipe

Galactic Mindswipe Giant Laser Beams

They are carnivores, but...

WoxandWarf likes this.
  3. Fengrich

Fengrich Big Damn Hero

Please read it all.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  4. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Ow COME ON Fetalstar!My 493286502,7 likez are gon now. :(
    So what does floran mechants sell?"Yeah,that's my human flesh-sword"
    The floran police don't go easy with mass murderers.

WoxandWarf and Epicface like this.
  5. Platipus

Platipus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Doesn't mean we can't be cannibalistic space serial killers-I will NOM the universe. And what kind of floran uses human flesh as the material for a sword? At least make human flesh into something practical like a pelt or a tent.

6. Con7Rad7

Con7Rad7 Giant Laser Beams

A human arm would make a pretty good beating stick when you think about it.

And human bodies could be used for so many things by florans. Scalp for pelt, skull for bowls, arms as beating sticks, skin as clothing or a tent, organs and flesh for feeding, spinal cord could make a nice bendy sword/ flail chain, ribs could become part of armour....

As for apex, basically all the same except they prob make better blankets and furs.

And Avians, pleanty of feathers for arrows, darts, and all that...

Basically florans could be probably the biggest mass murderers of all time, granted they actually do that.

Jenkins likes this.
  7. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I'm still wondering if Florans eat any kind of Bugs... I wasn't kidding on that question... :whistle:

8. Roxie Stables

Roxie Stables Parsec Taste Tester

Honestly I don't see why they wouldnt eat bugs,
    I mean there carnivorous Tribel creatures.
    And I'd eat a bug if I were starving.

9. tominator

tominator Orbital Explorer

On the other hand, it would be hilarious if these carnivorous killer space plants were afraid tiny bugs. After all bugs eat plants, don't they? I can see it now
    "Hey a meat sack just landed on this planet, lets eat it."
    "Wait, he had a grasshopper with him, run away!!"

In general I think the Florians look cool. I like the idea of a plant race, but I'm not too sure how I feel about them being hermaphroditic though (I guess I can get over it). Definately one of my more favorite species so far.

Luna likes this.
  10. Galactic Mindswipe

All plants are hermaphrodites. And besides, some plants eat bugs, and some bugs eat plants. I think they'd be afraid of big bugs (then again, who isn't?) rather than a teeny grasshopper. Never seen a bug eat a tree, have you?

Fengrich likes this.
  11. Roxie Stables

Roxie Stables Parsec Taste Tester

I do see where you are comming from, but look at I in this perspective.
    The reason that bugs eat plants is because the plants can't do much to protect the selfs,
    Besides some which grow thorns which don't help in all cases.
    But Florans have been evolving for a presumed hundreds of thousands of year with motar capabilities,
    I'm sure they would learn to not be afraid of something lower on the food chain.
    They don't follow our same rules because they evolved differently.

Also herm plants is a plus side for me...

Aeridan and Galactic Mindswipe like this.
  12. Fengrich

Fengrich Big Damn Hero

Many plants can also self pollinate. Just pointing that out. So it's possible that there is no 'mating ritual'. Have one Floran, soon have a whole community.

13. tominator

tominator Orbital Explorer

While it is fairly uncommon some plants (around 6% of flowering plants) are dioecious (strictly male or female). I looked all that stuff up, but the only reason that I know is that we were getting a Honey Locust tree some time ago and definitely did not want a "male" tree that produces the pollen as they are extremely fowl smelling. When I was touring the Grand Canyon before the tour guide also mentioned one particular tree being male or female with the male plants having flowers and the female ones having pods, or something like that.

Well not rapidly anyways, but there are several insects that will burrow into trees and kill them; though I suppose this would be more analogous to a virus or disease than a predator.

No, I agree it does not make a whole lot of sense, it would just be a humorous setup. Sort of along the lines of the elephant being afraid of the mouse thing.

Bughunter likes this.
  14. TheMurumasa

TheMurumasa Existential Complex

My most recent video discussed florans.

Sub for more. :)

tominator likes this.
  15. Galactic Mindswipe

Hello people! For off-topic Floran chat, please visit this thread!

This way we can keep this thread clean :D

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

Hey, if you guys are interested, my latest Discussing Starbound video is up! Alongside with the new Floran stuff, I talk about a podcast interview, the tree falling stream and more stuff!

~ockpii

17. Con7Rad7

And then the video makers and deviant thread makers came..... and the thread died....

This thread was too amazing to die like this....

But that has little benefit since it provides no species progression and spreads weakness along with any strength since all the species would be of the same weakness, and thus could easily be defeated once it is found, such as a weakness to a certain disease, it would be able to wipe them all out easily since they all have the same immunity, hence meaning basically all of them would die if one dies.

P.s., you vid guys forgot the most important part of this entire thread.... buttrubbing....

18. Fengrich

Fengrich Big Damn Hero

And that theory completely ignores the chance of mutation within the individuals and the fact that self-pollinating plants are not only self-pollinating.

Or...

They could be like the Pequeninos in the Ender series and their bipedal forms are only the first part of their life cycle, with their deaths bringing them into their next phase.

19. Spike

Spike Supernova

I'm pretty sure one of the mods has asked us to stop going there, so I think you should stop going there.

20. Con7Rad7

Mutation in self-pollination is not a common thing, let alone in regular pollination. And even then, most mutations that happen end within their first generation. And giving if it was a drastic difference, the community that is all one would probably outcast them. Now as for self pollinating plant not only being self pollinating, I think it would be very frowned upon in the society to self pollinate since your not progressing the species and basically telling everyone that you think you are the most perfect floran that exists since you decided that the only one worthy of being your child is another you.

We don't know what happens after they die, so I don't see why not in that aspect.

Stop going where? I don't remember this.