1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Planet selection screen

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tamarama, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tamarama

Tamarama Guest

So does Starbound have a giant starmap where you just point and click you next destination? Or is there some sort of freeform navigation similar to Star Control 2?

I'm just curious because I don't think I've seen screenshots of this part of the gameplay yet.

How do you guys picture interplanetary travel?

2. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

They said it will be a starmap. I'm guessing you can point and click to go to places near you, and also input coords.

3. TechnoRaven

TechnoRaven Aquatic Astronaut

Do do do, do do-

Sorry, i have mass effect on the mind.

A starmap or starchart would be the best.

4. Fen

Fen Master Chief

I think a starmap would be the way to go with a little side bit to put in coordinates. Something else that would be useful would be a way to search planets you've already been to or have a list of more important ones.

5. cyborgluigi

cyborgluigi Void-Bound Voyager

I was imagining something like the map from Kirby 64, it would be amazing

6. Jenkinz

Jenkinz Phantasmal Quasar

[​IMG]
    A map like this would be kinda cool ^_^

cyborgluigi likes this.
  7. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves Starship Captain

Simple enough, just make it a starmap. As a reference, I believe that Space Pirates and Zombies did such a thing, with some basic info appearing when you'd hover over a destination.

Ponzai and SuperKleb like this.
  8. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

I wished you could fly around in the spaceship to get to the planet. Arriving in style. :cool:

9. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

I was thinking of something much more extensive...
    After all, with an infinite (?) set of coordinates to try, having a restricted select screen like that wouldn't be so great.

Ponzai likes this.
  10. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

I just hope that the starmap is not in a grid-shape, but more of an actual star spread. And if there are going to be as many planets as I hope there will be, You'll still need coordinates to find what you are looking for most of the time BD

11. Attack_Fish

Attack_Fish Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah, It sounds like there will be tons of different planets you can go to as well as arenas (and hopefully other things like spaceships and asteroids) so the map would have to be able to cover that. I hope they don't make you play a minigame or anything like that in order to travel to your world. I hope it's like Terraria where you just select a world and it's loaded. I can foresee myself traveling from planet to planet frequently.

12. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves Starship Captain

I actually read ''plant selection screen'' when I first saw this... maybe I've been playing too much Plants vs. Zombies.

13. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

there is no such thing as too much Plants vs. Zombies

Ponzai and Doctor Whooves like this.
  14. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

I have never played that game.

15. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

A simple star map would be nice. I liked in spore where you needed to upgrade your ship before you could planet hop a certain distance.

Ponzai likes this.
  16. PixelJuice

PixelJuice Void-Bound Voyager

But if you can explore an endless Galaxy the Starmap or whatever would get really, really big.

17. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

So? Don't get too lost now.

18. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

OK folks, To MY knowledge, the starmap will NOT be planet based selection.
    My understanding is that you will input co-ordinates (unsure if the are alpha-numeric) and those co-ordinates will act as a seed, and generate that world.

Maybe you will be able to select places that NPC's have talked about
    Or places that you have already been.
    Obviously I don't know anything for certain, but this is what I have gathered on my travels.

19. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Seems the glasses smiley is trolling you [​IMG]

20. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

the glasses smiley is the best troll
    the other trolls stand in awe at his amazing ability

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.